It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin: Extradition Request 'Insulting'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This news is new it seems as its breaking.
But his words are a kick in the face for the british establishment.

President Putin said: "They must have clearly forgotten that Britain is no longer a colonial power, there are no colonies left and, thank God, Russia has never been a British colony".

"It's their brains, not our constitution, which need to be changed".

And our response.

Reacting to Putin's comments, a Foreign Office spokesman said: "We continue to look for a willingness from the Russian authorities to work constructively with us to bring this crime, committed in the UK, to justice in a British court".

Its so obvious this was blatant assassination.

Source.

Also on that link is this statment from the main suspect.

The man at the centre of this row has told Sky News that he will definitely not return to Britain to face trial. In an interview with Sky's Alex Rossi, Andrei Lugovoi blamed MI6 for the killing, and claimed that he could be next.

MI6?

[edit on 24-7-2007 by Denied]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Totally ridiculous.

How can a request for extradition for trial for murder be considered colonialism?

I agree, it's pretty obvious this was a Russian government hit job.

Looks like he's trying to take a jab at us here too:

thank God, Russia has never been a British colony

Well Mr Putin, we were a British colony, but we're still doing much better than you thank you very much!

[edit on 7/24/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Denied

President Putin said: "They must have clearly forgotten that Britain is no longer a colonial power, there are no colonies left and, thank God, Russia has never been a British colony".

Pot, meet kettle?

Perhaps President Putin forgets that Russia was an empire up until 1991. We first of all had the Russian Empire ruled by the Tsars, and then the USSR which - despite claiming to be communist - can certainly be argued that it had imperialistic tendencies (see the retention of states absorbed into Russia post-1917... countries such as modern day Georgia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan etc.) and the Soviet domination of Eastern Europe after the Second World War.

I've no idea why asking for a murder suspect to be extradited is 'colonialism'. Are they running out of arguments against sending Andrei Lugovoy to Britain for a trial or something?

FDS

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Then Putin says colonialism he probably means this

British Foreign Secretary David Miliband suggested this week that Russia should change its constitution to allow the extradition.

and just because "free" annd "independent" media takes everything out of context doesnt mean that Putin is evil

@Ste2652

It is very sad that you still dont know difference between Russia and USSR

and also Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan didnt exist in 1917... and USSR didnt absorb Georgia, try reading some history books

@djohnsto77

former British colonies:

Nigeria - GDP (PPP) Per capita $1,188 , HDI - 0.448
India - GDP (PPP) Per capita $3,737 , HDI - 0.611

former Russian "colonies":

Poland - GDP (PPP) Per capita $14,880 , HDI - 0.862
Finland - GDP (PPP) Per capita $34,819 , HDI - 0.947

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
What are the numbers for Australia, Canada and the United States?

FDS

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
What are the numbers for Australia, Canada and the United States?

I only gave as examle countries where only small amount colonists settled

In Australia, Canada and the United States natives are less than 1%

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Putin needs to shut his trap. He's sounding more idiotic everytime he opens his mouth. Russia is no longer the superpower it once was and the sooner the rest of those commies realize it, the better. We won the freaking cold war and now we are doing what we want. Thats what happens when you WIN. He should learn to deal with it. The ONLY thing that makes Russia remotely relevant or conversation worthy is her nukes...and it seems that we really dont give much of a crap about those anymore. So we probably have something for that too.

[edit on 29-7-2007 by princeofpeace]

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Putin needs to shut his trap.

Along with every other politician in the world. Damn - when I hear Dick Cheney or Tony Blair I wonder why no one has thought of gagging them. And Bush would appear at least twice as smart as he does if he was gagged full time and never spoke a word.

He's sounding more idiotic everytime he opens his mouth.

Everyone suddenly acts as if they never heard PR propaganda by politicians. "Mission Accomplished" ring a bell? If this kind of stuff bugs you so much, then maybe politics just isn't your thing.

Russia is no longer the superpower it once was and the sooner the rest of those commies realize it, the better.

What commies? You mean the Russian communist party? The one that has about 100,000 members, most of whom are too old to go out and collect their pensions? Everyone keeps talking about these mysterious Russian commies? Are they by any chance hiding under the North Pole with the Nazis? Or maybe observing us from their mothership orbiting Mars? Or is someone just confusing comminists with oligarchist semi-democrats?

And what does being the superpower have to do with anything? These days any politician that has some PR points to gain with the public will mummble anything to anyone, including threats, accusations, etc. Nothing stops Britain from doing it, not even the fact that on the world stage it is an equivalent of a chihuahua trying to bark its way into everyone's business.

We won the freaking cold war and now we are doing what we want.

No sh*t. You were doing what you want then, you are doing it now, and winning the Cold War had little to do with it. And don't you let anyone out there stop you. Don't mind the world, don't mind the fact that US/UK axis only makes up about 1/10 of the world population - JUST KEEP DOING YOUR THING. Keep invading, threatening, blackmailing, and exploiting your way around your world. You are the king. You are the almighty. Just don't whine and bitch when another 9/11 takes place.

The ignorant that go on being ignorant...

Thats what happens when you WIN. He should learn to deal with it.

So what did YOU WIN? Tell us? Did you win the chance to be the king of the hill for a glorious hour? Nobody won the Cold War, primarily because nobody lost it. But hey - if you think you won more power to you. Enjoy your spoils of the Cold War - however imaginary they are. Little has changed for the US after the Cold War, and the changes for Russia were only temporarily bad.

Look at US experiences in the Cold War - constant tension and fear of a nuclear attack. Witch hunts against communists, and government giving itself unconstitutional power to go after them (McCarthysm). Cautious tredding around the world for the fear that world leaders will turn to your enemy for help. The Vietnam War quagmire.

Look at US experiences now - constant fear of terrorist attack of huge scale, possibly nuclear. Witch hunts against terrorists (Guantanamo, interrogation sclandals in Europe). Cautious tredding around Mid East and South Asia for the fear of turning friendly leaders (with oil) against you. And of course Iraq...

But yeah... you still WON.

The ONLY thing that makes Russia remotely relevant or conversation worthy is her nukes....

And oil, and natural resources, and close friendships with China and India, and the fact that it controls 1/5 of world's landmass. But you are right - nobody gives a sh*t about those things.

and it seems that we really dont give much of a crap about those anymore.

Well you sure don't act like it. By the sound of it many people on ATS are overly concerned with Putin and his actions. I wonder why. Could it be because they are scared the bad old "commie" will come and take away their freedom? Or maybe it's because you care so much about the poor Russians who are suffering under his "tyrannical" regime?

By the level of response these "Putin killed my baby, and then he kicked my dog, and then he punched an old lady" threads generate I would say somebody gives a crap about something.

Maybe if the glorious victors of the Cold War are so fearless, they should just liberate Russia? Look at how many problems that would solve. No more "Putin is murdering our prized dissidents" or "Putin is cutting off my gas so I freeze to death". While you are at it cross out Iran, and China, and North Korea too. I mean -YOU ARE THE WINNERS - right? Well go WIN something. You can start with the War in Afganistan and Iraq, and then with the hearts and minds of people around the world who have taken a liking to burning your flags.

new topics

top topics

join