It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Sighting In Stratford-Upon-Avon, England

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Didn't see this posted yet. Mass sighting reported in Stratford-Upon-Avon, England. Looks like lanterns to me. Even mentions that a local rugby team lost some from a club house over the weekend. I can't get a grasp on when this occured but the story was just posted today. Does anyone know anything about how long these lanterns can last after they are lit and how high they can fly. Seems unlikely that they would be laterns if this happened recently and the laterns that the rugby team spoke of where lost this weekend. Witnesses also speak of erratic movements.

Link

[edit on 24-7-2007 by fibonacci]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It's interesting because it was witnessed by a lot of people and pictures were taken of it. As to the theories about the lanterns and the balloons, that should be seriously looked at because you have to look at all the options. Next to that all people that witnessed this should be asked to give an individual testimony as to what they saw. I'm curious if we will hear more of this.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
In British terms, what's a lantern? When I think lantern, I think something like this:

Not something you would normally see in the sky.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Haha... lol. No you would need an engine to get that thing flying. They probably mean on of those

They tend to fly sometime due to the hot air caused by the candle inside.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This is so cool, and pretty local too, i really dont know what to make of it, could be lanterns but when you read the report, they flew in formation, and at break neck speeds.

Drinkers spilled out of pubs, motorists stopped to gawp and camera phones were aimed upwards as the five orbs, in a seeming formation.

"Three had formed a triangular shape and one was to the right. Then another one came hurtling towards the rest at what looked like a very fast speed. But as it neared them it suddenly slowed and stopped altogether."

"It was weird, they way they moved did look alien. Some people reckon they're fireworks but they were lit up in the sky for far too long, the local rugby club say they were lanterns that blew loose over the weekend but these objects were far too fast and too high up."

I wanna believe.......

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Im intrigued how they disappeared after being lit up for half an hour- I skimmed the article and it doesnt seem to mention how they 'went', anyone have any ideas?

I also noticed how some people dismissed them as being balloons because of the great speeds they were travelling- im also curious to know what the weather was like that day i.e. windy, warm etc.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I'm sure they probably won't have their stories taken even remotely seriously for the simple that alcohol was involved

Now, I realise that a lot this stuff is balloons or Chinese lanterns, but those things look a little bright.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Sky Lanterns in action....

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I think these are the things we are talking about

Youy light the thing inside and up it goes, and up and up and up and up

www.sourcing4u.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor
In British terms, what's a lantern?

Hi,

In recent years, fairly sophisticated fire balloons (or "thai lanterns") have become available for purchase from commercial suppliers, such as the one below:
www.weddinglanterns.co.uk...
www.ribbands.co.uk...

In previous decades, prank "UFO" fire balloons were traditionally been made by using transparent, lightweight plastic laundry bags with birthday candles propped at its base by drinking straws, wires or balsa wood structs. When the candles are lit, the hot air makes the bag rise.

Ufologist Allan Hendry (author of the very informative book "The UFO Handbook") refers to 14 reports of UFO caused by prank fire balloons, stating that those 14 sightings had durations of perceived flight from one to 15 minutes.

Fire balloons have been discussed by the authors of several UFO books and several skeptical books.

They are also discussed in some detail in the Condon Report.

See, for example, the discussions of Case 45 at pages 605-606 (in Section 4, “Case Studies”, Chapter 2) and pages 458-465 (in Section 4, Case Studies, Case 18) of the version of the Condon Report available online at the links below:
ncas.sawco.com...
www.project1947.com...

Please note: Since they are a fire hazard, I understand that such products are illegal in several states in the USA.

Kind Regards,

Isaac Koi

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Another news story from a local newspaper with a different picture, also speaks of people taking videos. Hopefully these videos surface. I would be interested to see if these lights appear to ascend from ground level or just appear in the sky. Also the posting date of this story leads me to believe that this event occured on Saturday, July 14th which would backup the story of the escaped lanterns over the weekend at the rugby club house.

Link

[edit on 24-7-2007 by fibonacci]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Denied

"It was weird, they way they moved did look alien. Some people reckon they're fireworks but they were lit up in the sky for far too long, the local rugby club say they were lanterns that blew loose over the weekend but these objects were far too fast and too high up."

Of course, no one can judge the altitude of a light in the sky or a group of lights in the sky. They may have been quite close. You can only judge speed of a light by its angular rate, and if you don't know the distance, your estimate of the speed will be wildly off.

If take a witness out to the sight where they saw the lights and have them describe where they saw and them and the range of angles over which they moved, you can get a much better idea of of what the real angular speed was. People tend to overestimate this.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
If what the witnesses say is true then those can't be lanterns. Lanterns float from the ground up, and to make a triangle shape with four of them with one speeding towards that and stopping seems a little odd to me. Looks like we have something here.
They say there's video of the event so I can't wait to see it and let all you video, CGI folks give your opinion.

Good find OP.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
hehe... this is just too convinient a timing
I'll be moving to London this thursday and hopefully more of these sitings will occur.

Although we all managed to brush DarkKnight off with his tall tale about the false flag manuveour that should happen just about now, you gotta admit that it kinda lingers in the back of your head don't it?

It's too bad that in such a case where there are so many witnesses that alcohol is involved or that noone actually didn't try to run towards where those orbs seemed to be hanging...that would be my first instinct...run like hell to get closer to them so I could get a better view of them.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
They are coming in 2007 ;-)

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Very similar to lights that I saw in Saint Clair Shores, Mi in about 1995. Three lights in a triangle shape, moving at a slow speed but spining around the middle as if connected... Very good find!!

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Probably Aliens checking out the flooding!

If they are here for conquest, they must also know that history tells that the UK is un-invadeable.

But they also know the one weakness of the UK..

The weather...

A few inches of rain or snow, or god forbid, a bit of sunshine (in fact, any weather whatsoever...) and the country will grind to a halt....

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Intersting, great find OP

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Probably Aliens checking out the flooding!

If they are here for conquest, they must also know that history tells that the UK is un-invadeable.

But they also know the one weakness of the UK..

The weather...

A few inches of rain or snow, or god forbid, a bit of sunshine (in fact, any weather whatsoever...) and the country will grind to a halt....

Fear the viking lad... fear him
then again, we all just fell in love with your great great great great great grandmothers and became british ourselves, so I guess we kinda lost that one too.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Reminds me of a similar occurance in Glasgow last year approx August/September when me and my girlfriend saw 3 bright orange lights fly over our heads in triangular formation heading north.

On Monday morning the newspapers were filled with stuff about UFO's etc then some story came out that someone had released chinese lantern style things.

I dont think it was lanterns we saw

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join