It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hungary Heatwave: 500 dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Just head on skynews,

what is up with the weather? we've had the worse floodings in Britain for about 150 years.

The jet stream is apparently lower than it should be.

and this heatwave in Hungary has killed 500 people in the last week.

Romania too, 30 dead.

South-Eastern Europe is reeling from hot weather that has killed more than 30 people and caused economic hardship.

The heat was blamed for 30 deaths in Romania and several elsewhere in the region. Farms in Serbia have seen much of this year's harvest scorched.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.bbc.co.uk...

what the HELL is going on with the weather in Europe?!?!

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   

European weather extremes submerge Britain as Balkans sizzle

ATHENS (AFP) - Heavy rain and extreme temperatures continued to batter Europe on Tuesday, with Britain caught in its worst floods in living memory while the Balkans sizzled in heatwaves that killed more than 30 people.

Massive flooding in Britain turned towns into islands and saw people wading through thigh-high waters as thousands of homes remained without running water and electricity.

Across the continent in the Balkans authorities meanwhile warned people to stay indoors to avoid searing temperatures that have already killed 30 people in Romania and two in Bulgaria and Greece, with another two deaths reported in Croatia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.afp.com...

This is getting REALLY weird.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I don't know, it does look crazy over there.

Here in the Northeast U.S., it's been a fairly mild uneventful summer so far on the whole.

Another question (probably for another thread): Where are the hurricanes?

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Another question (probably for another thread): Where are the hurricanes?

Isn't it like hurricane season?

The British media said the ill nino has effected the jet stream in Europe or something, thus lowering it, resulting in extreme tropical weather.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Climate researchers have suggested that the unusual weather leading to the floods may be linked to this year's appearance of La Niña in the Pacific Ocean, and the Jet stream being further south than normal

en.wikipedia.org...

is La Nina and ill nino the same thing?

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
is La Nina and ill nino the same thing?

La Niña and El Niño are actually opposites of each other. La Niña is actually usually associated with a more active hurricane season in the North Atlantic basin.

See: Southern Oscillation

[edit on 7/24/2007 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 7/24/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
it's the same mess here in Bulgaria - just this summer, there are 49 temperature records since archiving in our major cities.

Last winter there was no snow in Sofia (capital), strange thing is, that didn't happen before in the last 50 years.

Watch your loved ones, especially people 50+, I am just returning from my grandfather, who had an "insult" ("brain-infarct") because of the heat.

Watch out, and maybe it's time to prepare for even more change in the weather.
Not just the weather - the whole world is a mess. I am playing with the idea to buy some land and build a bunker with water supplies etc...

Be careful

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I think when you say "insult" a better translation would be "stroke". 500 dead??? That's unbelievable...have any cities started heat shelters with water and free air conditioning?

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
I think when you say "insult" a better translation would be "stroke". 500 dead??? That's unbelievable...have any cities started heat shelters with water and free air conditioning?

I dont mean to offend anyone here but is air conditioning a normal thing in Europe? Here in the US where I live outside NYC its almost impossible to find someone who does not have AC; either window mounted units or central AC I would say that 90% of homes have either and almost every business and government facilities have AC as well.

In times of extreme heat people are encourages to go to a move theater, shopping mall, or a specially set up "cooling center" which is basically at a school where they set up some tables and chairs around TVs and serve food and beverages in a room with AC.

[edit on 26-7-2007 by ChrisF231]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231

I dont mean to offend anyone here but is air conditioning a normal thing in Europe? Here in the US where I live outside NYC its almost impossible to find someone who does not have AC;

No, its not "normal", and guess what - it's better. For instance, we assume that 70% of NYC is covered with AC and for more and more people it's getting something normal. Do you imagine the death toll if there is an electricity failure just for 24 hours? AC is something good, but getting used to it is risky.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
I dont mean to offend anyone here but is air conditioning a normal thing in Europe? Here in the US where I live outside NYC its almost impossible to find someone who does not have AC

I live in subtropical Florida, USA... everyone around me has A/C too. They come out of their A/C home box... take a few steps to their A/C vehicle box... Get to the A/C destination/work box... then return to their A/C home box via their A/C vehicle box...

I keep windows open or stay outside; always have... A piece of salvaged plywood constitutes a back door; it stays off most of the time.

A/C only makes you weak. And it is the meek... not the weak that shall inherit.

There is no such thing as "inside"; all is Brahman.

on the subject of inside/outside though... there is one thing that I have noticed about the "outside" relm...

More and more of these "units" attached to their owner's box these days... blowing hot air "outside" during the heat of summer, making that annoying compressor hum... "outside" which drowns out the sounds of birds and bees... consuming fuels and further polluting what stands "outside" of the pretty acrylic coated sheetrock.

That said... gettin' to be high sun... time to shut down the PC; back to being a carpenter.

I am,

Sri Oracle

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Being from Hungary I can safely assure you that these heatwaves have been increasing through the past 5 or so years. I usually spend my summers there and it's actually dreadful, this is the first summer where I've decided to stay away from my home.

Edit: Having AC is normal in the cities, having AC is not so normal in the village areas. Instead, we rely heavily on store-brand fans which usually just stir the warm air. It's not exactly useful.

[edit on 7-8-2007 by Donoso]

new topics

top topics

join