It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Grave To Be Opened

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Mass Grave To Be Opened

rawstory.com

The Federal Government believes it is on the cusp of uncovering what could be one of the largest mass graves found on the Western Front for 60 years.

Tomorrow a panel of experts is expected to recommend further searches at a World War I battlefield near Fromelles in France.

It is believed the remains of more than 160 Australian soldiers may have been buried in the grave, along with more than 300 British soldiers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
American Dominance on the World Stage

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It has been my understanding that the recovery and identification of the remains of fallen solders has been a practice unique to the U.S. This article is making it sound like other countries are involved in this practice also. The story in question does not specific about if other countries also identify who the remains belong to and send them back to family for burial. So does any one else know about that?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

It has been my understanding that the recovery and identification of the remains of fallen solders has been a practice unique to the U.S. This article is making it sound like other countries are involved in this practice also.

Your understanding is wrong
There are many many missing allied soldiers from the First World war and every attempt is made to discover where they are. Do you think the US is the only country that cares about its dead?.
The bodies are in general not recovered but reburied in a military graveyard of which there are many in France and Belgium.
This is done for many reasons cost being one and the fact that many soldiers may have no living relatives. If relarives wish to recover the bodies, AFAIK it is possible but most are reburied in proper Military graveyard, with a military service.

More info
www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2007/07/22/wgraves122.xml

[edit on 24/7/07 by Chorlton]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Thats a grim job, but it has to be done. I hope it brings some comfort to any relitives still alive.

Its good to see that even today where money and time is more important than most things, its not as important as not leaving any one behind.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton

The bodies are in general not recovered but reburied in a military graveyard of which there are many in France and Belgium.

Chorlton,
When I said the bodies being recovered, what I mean is taking what ever steps are necessary to put a name to what ever parts of the fallen solder has been able to be found. Not moving them to a military graveyard. On example is when the body was removed from the tomb of the unknown solder because with newer identifying techniques a name was placed to the remains so the fallen solder was then buried with a name.
Is that the same pratice as what is being done in the UK?

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Thats the same thing I expect, the idea is to identify the bodies, to put names to them, from any identifying insignia, or relics left with them, watches, waterbottles or literally anything that can identify them.

We have some pretty mean researchers here in the UK who are like terriers and wont let go untill they have exhausted all avenues of research.

[edit on 24/7/07 by Chorlton]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Chorlton,
what about using medical records, such as dental remains, and DNA identification?

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
Chorlton,
what about using medical records, such as dental remains, and DNA identification?

Like I said they use anything
I remember hearing about the remains of one soldier found, no identifying paraphernalia except a pair of corroded glasses.
They took them, cleaned them up and found the makers records and traced the sodier from that
Amazing really

new topics

top topics

join