It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Issues Urgent Food Recall !!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   

FDA Issues Urgent Food Recall !!!

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A recall of canned meat products and dog food made at a Georgia plant due to botulism fears could involve tens of millions of cans that pose an urgent public health threat, U.S. officials said on Monday.

U.S. food regulators appealed to consumers and retailers to find and dispose of the cans.

Two people in Texas and two others in Indiana remain seriously ill and hospitalized with botulism poisoning associated with eating Castleberry's Hot Dog Chili Sauce, officials said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-7-2007 by Sys_Config]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
It seems my favorite beef stew is being recalled..PLease Flag if you read so as many people get to see this as some may have not caught it on tv or radio. Thanx

PLeaseif anybody has the above products please return them or throw them out. this involves millions of cans!
Botulism is an anaerobic bacterial toxin that can kill you, its not like salmonella or bad chicken, which are not as bad, but still serious.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Fox News reported that the ban now applies to over 50 Castleberry products. To get the latest info on this ban, go to fda.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Thanks for the links.

I emailed everyone I know that link so they can check out the list of items that are suspected. My mom hadn't even heard about it yet, and I am quite sure she has some of that corned beef hash in her pantry.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
When I found out I had some health issues that made it difficult for me to eat anything but a small variety of very specific organic foods, I was upset. A year or two later, I've adapted to it, and things like this make me almost relieved I can't eat those things anymore. I hope everyone will be alright. This is a link on the Castleberry's website listing products affected by the recall: Expanded Voluntary Product Recall Information - 7/21/07

[edit on 7/24/2007 by AceWombat04]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Oh man, HURL!!! I got severe food poisoning from a can of chili about 12 years ago. I was pretty stupid and I didn't go to the hospital. I ended up getting severely dehydrated and I collapsed on the floor. I woke up several hours later feeling rather scared. To top it all off, there was about 2 feet of fresh snow outside. If people do get sick, I hope they go to the hospital. It damn near killed me.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rotoplooker
Oh man, HURL!!! I got severe food poisoning from a can of chili about 12 years ago. I was pretty stupid and I didn't go to the hospital.

You're very fortunate - you could have died:

Symptoms of botulism poisoning in humans can begin from 6 hours to 2 weeks after eating food that contains the toxin. Symptoms may include double vision, blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, and muscle weakness that moves progressively down the body, affecting the shoulders first then descending to the upper arms, lower arms, thighs, calves, etc. Botulism poisoning can also cause paralysis of the breathing muscles which can result in death unless assistance with breathing (mechanical ventilation) is provided. Individuals who show these symptoms and who may have recently eaten one of the Castleberry’s products currently under recall should seek immediate medical attention.

www.fda.gov...

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Two people in Texas and two others in Indiana remain seriously ill and hospitalized with botulism poisoning associated with eating Castleberry's Hot Dog Chili Sauce, officials said.

What the hell kinda self-respecting Texan uses CANNED chili sauce?
That's almost, but not quite as bad as putting ketchup on a steak.

Good lord, it gets worse...

Officials said 16 out of 17 cans that have been tested have turned up positive for the bacterium that causes botulism.

Let this be a lesson to those who do not cook their own chili sauce. God hates canned chili, and will smite 16 out of 17 who use it.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Anyone else find it kinda creepy that these guys make chili sauce that looks like dog food AND dog food. ewwwww.
Now back to your regularly scheduled panic.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Once again I say the reason for all these food borne illnesses is the gutting of the FDA inspector system after the GOP takeover of the house in 1994 during the Contract on America con. They halved the number of inspectors and then later slashed the FDA budget even more; just to make their corporate owners happy; to hell with public safety.

[edit on 24-7-2007 by grover]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
its still needs to be unraveled...

we actually don't know if the canners were US based or were
part of the 'Global' suppliers...

perhaps the low wage workers at the food processing plant(s)
had to have a last digg at the 'powers-that-be'
before the minimum wage got increased by $ 0.70per hour...
scratching their butts or not washing hands after a rest-room intermission?

~but enough of 20-20 hindsight~

i recommend NoT buying geriatric 'Chili' from food processor Corps.
If you want good chili (vegetarian type)
get dry beans; northern or kidney or whatever...
get a couple jars of 'Salsa', hot/mild by whatever brand you trust
cook in a crock-pot, season to taste, enjoy for a day or two

i did notice that the Bi-Lo store brand 'Southern Home' was one of the
products on the list of 'bad' cans of food-stuffs....
now, i admit i get cans of beef-both/chicken-broth/vegetable-broth
for soups or daily morning beverages (instead of coffee or tea)
so I'm not a pure Vegan (o-my-gosh !)

but i did look for the code number (don't recall what it was)
but i know full well that other foruns or google search can advise
you of the products to look out for.....

so the time traveler was a little bit off again,,,,
it ain't 'prions' or mad-cow-disease we looking for....its unsanitary clods!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rotoplooker
Oh man, HURL!!! I got severe food poisoning from a can of chili about 12 years ago. I was pretty stupid and I didn't go to the hospital. I ended up getting severely dehydrated and I collapsed on the floor. I woke up several hours later feeling rather scared. To top it all off, there was about 2 feet of fresh snow outside. If people do get sick, I hope they go to the hospital. It damn near killed me.

Heh, the worst ''food poisoning" I ever had (I did eat stuff that contained salmonella once but it didn't poison me >_>) was from a burrito, result?
One big orange pancake next to my bed, lmao.

Aside from that I once puked full hamburgers, at present day I still can't grasp the immense powers that be that reassembled my hamburgers after chewing them, and made me spit them out over the kitchen floor (It was like a spray gun, *BLERGH* whole kitchen got sprayed with hamburgers and acid)

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

*Sigh*

Since when has canned meat not been a health concern?

Maybe I am just a biased, healthy, vegetarian

[edit on 24-7-2007 by Cloak and Dagger]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
To my vegetarian friend, veggies are not immune either as those lettuce heads and tomatoes etc from mexico proved. The workers across the border do not have bathrooms in the field like we do, so guess where they do it. where ever they are standing. How sweet it is..Tons of chinese honey gets yanked at the canadian border too. Here most workers are accustomed to the rule of wasjh your hands because its the law and everything is there for us. most of the time.
Someone mentioned cans..i remember that good cheese and peanutbutter that was like years old when the gov gave it away. not one food borne illness was reported. Thats how good our standards were before we started importing cheap from China and Mexico. We get what we pay for.

Looking at everything as a whole, I swear the system is collapsing as it seems we are putting out fires everywhere.

I am adding this link from the cdc

What You Need To Know

FDR made a bank holiday to stop the system from imploding, I wonder if we should have a stop work day..just one day..where you stop what you are doing and check if everything is ok, inspected right, do clean ups, restock, throwout junk, Rotate that day thruout the year so we don't become complacent..of course thats work..if something still happens then somebody isnt doing their job..

Just Ideating

Sys

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   
It's pretty sad that we can spend billions on war, over-paying political figures, all kinds of other ridiculous things, yet we can't monitor our food.

It's just friggin gross.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
this doesn't surprise me a single bit, everything you eat that is made at a 'food factory' is toxic and bad for you. if you want to talk about this more go here bad food

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
AMEN! grover and i'm with ya Cloak and Dagger!!
I too have chosen the vegetarian way and haven't looked back since. I have no problem with people who eat meat and (try...atleast) not to preach about the issue but it's cases like this that further the argument. Today's slaughterhouses are horrible! The terrible environment the workers and animals live/die in are miserable. It's no wonder we get all of these illnesses. Sadly, the "big beef industry" can pay off certain media outlets (i believe) to shut up about it and the world goes on...one big mac at a time. I'm glad Sys_Config brought this up!!

if you're interested in seeing how that hamburger got on your plate Google video (sorry i haven't figured out the link thing) "Earthlings" narrated by Joaquin(?) Phoenix. I DO NOT recommend watching it, strangely enough. Some things they show shook me up too much to sleep

new topics

top topics

join