It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World 'losing fight against Aids'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Worryingly, this has been overlooked in news broadcasts I've seen today - are we becoming immune to stories of AIDS epidemics?

US President George W Bush's top adviser on HIV/Aids has said the world is losing the battle against the virus.

Dr Anthony Fauci told a conference in Sydney that progress had been made, but more people were being infected with HIV than were being treated.

"For every one person that you put in therapy, six new people get infected. So we're losing that game, the numbers game," he said.

Dr Fauci was speaking at a gathering of the world's leading HIV/Aids experts.
news.bbc.co.uk...

Or more tellingly, do we now consider this to be a third world problem?

ADULT AND CHILD HIV RATES IN 2006
Living with HIV, Newly infected, Deaths from Aids
Sub-Saharan Africa 24.7m, 2.8m , 2.1m
South and South-East Asia 7.8m , 860,000, 590,000
Eastern Europe and Central Asia 1.7m, 270,000, 84,000
Latin America 1.7m, 140,000, 65,000
North America 1.4m, 43,000, 18,000
East Asia 750,000, 100,000 , 43,000
Western and Central Europe 740,000 , 22,000, 12,000
North Africa and Middle East 460,000, 68,000 , 36,000
Caribbean 250,000 , 27,000, 19,000
Oceania 81,000, 7,100, 4,000
Total 39.5m, 4.3m, 2.9m
Source: UNAids, all figures estimates
news.bbc.co.uk...

OK, so it's not quite the epidemic we were lead to believe would happen by all the horror stories put out by governments, but it is a big problem, and set to get worse.

The number of people with HIV is expected to rise from around 40 million today to 60 million by 2015
Aids has already killed 25 million people
Only 28% of the world's HIV/Aids patients are on anti-retroviral drugs
Just one in 10 pregnant women with Aids get treatment to stop them transmitting the disease to their unborn children
news.bbc.co.uk...

Some further information, relevant to this:
news.bbc.co.uk... - timeline of HIV/AIDS, 25 years

news.bbc.co.uk... - HIV impact by region.

It would appear that unless something is done, we could see the end of Africa as we know it, with a whole continent pretty much wiped out.

[edit on 23/7/2007 by budski]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
There's actually a post over in the sci-tech forum right now about successful treatment of HIV-positive babies, so Bush's adviser apparently doesn't keep up in his own field.

What I've never understood about the HIV/AIDS thing is how it can still be spreading. We know exactly how it spreads. We know how to prevent it; abstinence or condoms. Why are people still being infected? I realize that some people don't know they have it, but if you're going around having unprotected sex (which you shouldn't be anyway) you should get tested to see if you have the disease, both to help yourself and others. Nearly all cases of HIV/AIDS are preventable. So why aren't they being prevented? I think that is a far bigger problem than the lack of newscasts.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne

What I've never understood about the HIV/AIDS thing is how it can still be spreading. We know exactly how it spreads. We know how to prevent it; abstinence or condoms. Why are people still being infected?

Lots of reasons. In Catholic countries because condoms are against god's law. In the US, abstinence is taught and fundies fight to keep knowledge of safe sex out of the schools. In lots of personal lives because many people don't like the way condoms feel. I've known quite a few people who just didn't give a you-know-what if they were spreading the disease around from reasons ranging from drug addiction, to denial, to wanting to "share the love."

In South Africa some witch doctor told guys that if they had AIDS they could get rid of it by having sex with a virgin. Children as young as 10 months are being raped now.

A lot of it has to do with the pharmaceutical industry not allowing generic versions of their HIV medication patents to be made for pennies on the dollar and distributed to third-world nations. If a person is on a good medical regime, and their viral load is undetectable, they are much less likely to pass it on to someone else. And then there are the people in poor rural areas that have no refrigeration for drugs that have to be kept at lower temperatures than the ambient temperature in the tropics, or old drugs, or just don't have the understanding to take their medication on time every day without fail.

It's complex.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Africa remains the biggest problem with regards to hiv/aids - education is the key - ignorance about how the virus spreads is rife and more needs to be done to halt the spread - otherwise it could be goodbye to most of the continent.

No one knows exactly when HIV entered Nairobi. But in 1985, Canadian researcher Frank Plummer was studying gonorrhea and chlamydia among Pumwani sex workers, and almost as an afterthought he decided to add an HIV test. Two-thirds of the women tested positive. He shifted his focus to HIV.
www.thebody.com...

The Muslim population in Africa represents about 65% of all the African people. AIDS kills some 6,000 people each day in Africa, which amounts to more deaths than caused by wars, famines and floods. Africa is home to 70% of the adults and 80% of the children living with HIV in the world. The estimated number of newly infected adults and children in Africa reached 3.5 million at the end of 2001. It has also been estimated that 28.5 million adults and children were living with HIV/AIDS in Africa by the end of the year. AIDS deaths totaled 3 million globally in 2001, and of that total, 2.2 million AIDS deaths occurred in Africa alone.
(source:UNAIDS)
www.salaam.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Budski is absolutely right about ignorance and the spread of AIDS. Stupidity is also a part of the spread. God only gave man enough blood to work his brain or his penis, not both at the same time.

The loss of the African population from AIDS would only cut the world famine rate by about 80%. Probably a wash out in death rates, worldwide.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction

Lots of reasons. In Catholic countries because condoms are against god's law.

I'd disagree there - nowhere in the bible does it mention contraception - I've heard that it says "thy shalt not sow thy seed on fallow ground" but to say this means no contraception is a little silly IMO.
Might as well say it means that you can't have sex with a woman or man who is sterile.
It could also mean that you couldn't have sex with a girl not old enough to menstruate - as you're probably aware, both sexes married very young in biblical times, and the lack of menstrual cycle may have indicated that a girl was not ready for marriage.

This is about what the church wanted, not about what god wanted - more members.
But this is a little off topic.

[edit on 25/7/2007 by budski]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne

We know exactly how it spreads. We know how to prevent it; abstinence or condoms.

Ok, let's promote condoms, and then we have new issues, AIDS-HIV is a conspiracy by condoms company.

It is endless world, endless problems. One problem lead to another.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction

Lots of reasons. In Catholic countries because condoms are against god's law.

I'd disagree there - nowhere in the bible does it mention contraception - I've heard that it says "thy shalt not sow thy seed on fallow ground" but to say this means no contraception is a little silly IMO.

I agree it's not in the bible, but the Pope says birth control is not allowed. Go figure.

Another way that AIDS is transmitted is that unscrupulous and/or careless clinics reuse needles for injections and blood draws without sterilizing them, over and over and over again.

Also, female and male circumcision uses the same razor blade or knife on all participants without sterilization.

There is a lot more to the spread of AIDs than just knowing about safe sex.

[edit to add] I'm talking about Africa in the last two examples I gave.

[edit on 25-7-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I can't ever remember anything in the Bible that says anything for or against birth control. You would think, though, that God would want His people to not give AIDS to each other, though...

MajorMalfunction brings up some good points, though. Irresponsible sex is not the only way to get HIV, although it is probably the most common. The way I see it, though, if a person has HIV, and they take some responsibility, they will never give it to anyone else. This disease spreads in very specific ways that should be easy to slow down or stop, if people cared enough to do so.

And the pharmaceutical companies... I can see them wanting to recoup their investment in the drugs, and I respect their need to make a profit, but why not allow the generic drugs? It's not like these poor countries are going to be able to afford the expensive ones, anyway, so they won't lose any business to them.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Good points well made,
the practice of female circumcision is a barbaric one, and is done for no other reason than to subjugate women.

Drug abuse is another factor - sharing of needles - and whilst I don't know how prevalent IV drug use is in Africa, I do know that there is a huge drug problem in SA.

Drug companies are guilty of some of the worst corporate crime, in that they want to maximise profit, even at the expense of human lives.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The silliest thing I ever saw was when Pope Paul went to Africa and told them not to use condoms, then went to South America and said the same thing.
Such magnificent stupidity

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   

the practice of female circumcision is a barbaric one, and is done for no other reason than to subjugate women.

And male circumcision is a civilized one?
If you think female circumcision is no good, then you have to think male circumcision is no good either.

Female and male are human and equal.

Are you circumcised? What is your problem?

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cibai

And male circumcision is a civilized one?
If you think female circumcision is no good, then you have to think male circumcision is no good either.

Female and male are human and equal.

Are you circumcised? What is your problem?

Are you serious?
male circumcision is often done for hygiene and medical reasons - the foreskin can become too tight, and cause pain and other problems during erection.

Female circumcision consists of cutting away the labia and clitoris for the express purpose of denying the woman sexual pleasure.

The difference is massive.

[edit on 26/7/2007 by budski]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Are you serious?
male circumcision is often done for hygiene and medical reasons - the foreskin can become too tight, and cause pain and other problems during erection.

Female circumcision consists of cutting away the labia and clitoris for the express purpose of denying the woman sexual pleasure.

The difference is massive.

Actually no.

You have been brainwashed by American doctors who were brainwashed by American Christians and Jews.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Ok, my facts are based on reality - I can provide proof.
As for being brainwashed by american doctors etc - I'm from the UK.
And I have also seen the horrendous act of female circumcision.

Please post links to any REAL information you have to back up this wild claim.

Or is this just more trolling.

[edit on 26/7/2007 by budski]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Well, I've just had a conversation with an acquaintance of mine who believes that if HIV/AIDS were not (his words, not mine) a predominantly gay disease, then people wouldn't make so much fuss about it.

I refute this and believe that because the disease is associated with the act of procreation it must be tackled - if the disease spreads far and wide enough, then procreation will be seriously curtailed.

In the past, we had wars, famine, and lots of other diseases that kept the population down.

Maybe we are victims of our own evolutionary success, and this is natures way of slowing us down?

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Female and male circumcision are indeed two completely different concepts, and both evolving throughout history for completely different reasons. Male circumcision predates human history and there are even ancient cave drawings depicting the act, and primarily evolved as a religious commandment of Judaic law that most are familiar with and primarily associate it with. However, male circumcision has evolved since these early times and has made the leap from religious to medical. There are many reasons why the act of male circumcision continues in modern society and few are for religious reasons. Circumcision of the male foreskin can help reduce the risk of Penile cancer and Balanoposthitis (or inflammation of the glans located in the area of the foreskin), and on top of that the male foreskin provides a permeable layer of skin that HIV can pass and move around through specific Dendritic cells known as Langerhans cells, which thus transmit HIV throughout the body. Male circumcision has moved from the religious aspect and crossed over into the realm of medical science which has supported it based on clinical observations and trials. Case in point, male circumcision will reduce the risk of Female to Male transmission of HIV by 60%, and here is a shortlist of everything that male ciscumcision can help prevent, some of which I have already mentioned:

HIV
Penile Cancer
General Hygiene of the Penis
Bacterial Infections due to improper cleaning
Balanitis
Human Papilloma Virus
Urinary tract infections
etc.

Female circumcision, on the other hand, has never moved out of the religious realm and the practice of this form of circumcision poses no health benefits as male circumcision does. It shares much of the common prehistorical aspects of male circumcision but it's practice never gained a foothold in Judea and Islam where it was essentially forbidden or not practiced on a general large scale such as in regions of Africa. In fact, female circumcision (generally referred to as "Female Genital Mutilation") serves no medical purpose, and it's practise is generally not accepted by the medical community because of this reason. On the other hand, there is overwhelming data to support the fact that it can actually lead to infection, shock, blood loss, and an increase in the spread of diseases. There are different forms of this practice which commonly involve either Infibulation or a Clitoridectomy, both of which show no medical evidence to support a benefit of having either done. This form of circumcision serves no purpose other than ceremonial aspects of certain religions or a decrease in the amount of sexual pleasure (which goes hand in hand with the religious aspect).

In other words, there is a huge gap in the reasons for male vs. female circumcision, and because the penis is a completely different organ than the clitoral region we are dealing with two completely different things...both with different consequences.

[edit on 27-7-2007 by Jazzerman]

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Thanks for the clarification Jazzerman.
Do you have any thoughts on the OP, bearing in mind your field of work, I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts.

I know very little about viruses, but I know one thing - the number of viruses man has cured is exactly 0.

My understanding is that a virus is not a living thing in the accepted sense of the word, because it cannot reproduce, rather it infects the host cells in a parasitic fashion, converting them to it's own uses, and it is this that makes a person ill, or kills them, if the body's defenses cannot fight them off.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
As far as losing the battle against the disease it's much like playing tug-o-war with a rope. Sometimes there are huge strides made to cut the risk of transmission which generally work well, and other times we see the bleakness of the whole issue. As you pointed out Budski, there is a huge problem with the number of infections versus the rate at which people seek treatment.

When I conduct HIV testing here in our office I would generally guess that I give around one or two positive results every month or so. Compare that with parts of Africa that have been ravaged by the disease where clinics may test hundreds of people per month and 70-80% of those that are tested actually test positive. The infection rate is astounding to say the least, and I believe that only through education can we see a decline in that rate. Now, the sad thing is that HIV still has such a stigma attached to it that our little tug-o-war game is heavily leaning to one side. All over the world educators should be working to inform people of the disease and how to prevent it; not living in the unrealistic world of "abstinence until marriage" that has been proven to be an unreliable method of education. In other words...

1. Education about proper use of male condoms, female condoms, dental dams, etc.
2. Education about proper use of needles when using and/or sharing drugs
3. Education for pregnant mothers to show them the risk of transmission through infected breast milk.

Unfortunately most everything I just mentioned is still stigmatized in modern society, and until we can have open discussion about such topics the infection rate with continue to escalate.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Hi Jazzerman

Good points however, removal of my testes prevent me getting testicular cancer, removal of breats prevent breast cancer. I am not personally in favour of mutilation for anything other than immediate medical grounds. Many women with the brc8 gene are now considering preventive surgery to reduce the risk of them developing cancer. I am gald I don't have to make that choice myself.

The list you provide and I support your reasons for doing so, is a slight little teensy bit disingenuous.

HIV
Penile Cancer
Balanitis
Human Papilloma Virus
Urinary tract infections

HIV, Cancer and HPV I can live with as serious enough to warrant mention, however, these last three could perhaps all be seen to have a single cause, and that is poor personal hygiene.

Balanitis
Urinary tract infections

I would much prefer to educate people in how to clean themselves rather than cut the foreskin off a newborne just in case he grows up unable or unwilling to clean himself properly.
The practice of circumcision has been out of favour for many many decades in Europe. I would be very interested Jazzerman if you have comparative figures for Europe and US penile cancer rates. That is something that I was not aware of and I think if you have the figures it would be a great topic of huge importance.

Once again thanks for the informative posts and sorry for the implied criticism but I see those three as essentially the same.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join