It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all religious scholars!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I am asking for any religious scholars from any religion to lend me a hand in my research of the number six within religion. I've done a little myself in the past but not much. I'm a proffesional procrastinator you see and do not have the intellectual ability to read a book that was written at least a thousand years ago. I barely have the ability to read a childrens book written in the last ten years. I read the first Harry Potter years ago and found it boring.

Today I did a little myself because I was challanged by another member. The fisrt quote is just some mathematical info because I believe science and mathematics to be aspects of religion. Even the Druze consider Pythagoras to be a prophet.

Six is the second smallest composite number, its proper divisors being 1, 2 and 3. Since six equals the sum of these proper divisors, six is a perfect number. As a perfect number, 6 is related to the Mersenne prime 3, since 21(22 - 1) = 6. The next perfect number is 28. Six is the first discrete biprime and the first member of the (2.q) discrete biprime family. Six is also a unitary perfect number, a harmonic divisor number and a highly composite number.

5 and 6 form a Ruth-Aaron pair under either definition.

The smallest non-abelian group is the symmetric group S3 which has 3! = 6 elements.

S6, with 720 elements, is the only finite symmetric group which has an outer automorphism. This automorphism allows us to construct a number of exceptional mathematical objects such as the S(5,6,12) Steiner system, the projective plane of order 4 and the Hoffman-Singleton graph. A closely related result is the following theorem: 6 is the only natural number n for which there is a construction of n isomorphic objects on an n-set A, invariant under all permutations of A, but not naturally in 1-1 correspondence with the elements of A. This can also be expressed category theoretically: consider the category whose objects are the n element sets and whose arrows are the bijections between the sets. This category has a non-trivial functor to itself only for n=6.

Six similar coins can be arranged around a central coin of the same radius so that each coin makes contact with the central one (and touches both its neighbors without a gap), but seven cannot be so arranged. This makes 6 the answer to the two-dimensional kissing number problem. The densest sphere packing of the plane is obtained by extending this pattern to the hexagonal lattice in which each circle touches just six others.

6 is one of the four all-Harshad numbers.

A six-sided polygon is a hexagon, one of the three polygons capable of tiling the plane. Figurate numbers representing hexagons (including six) are called hexagonal numbers. Six is also an octahedral number. It is a triangular number and so is its square (36).

There are six basic trigonometric functions.

There are six convex regular polytopes in four dimensions.

Saturn is the sixth planet from the earth. It, arguably, has 60 identified moons. It has a naturally occuring hexagon permanantly spinning around it's north pole. The weekday, Saturday, that shares it's name is, arguably, the sixth day.

April 17th(7-1=6), 6BC was the date that Jesus was born according the all true gnostics.

The Jewish star of David has six sides. Saturday(arguably the sixth day) is the day of the Shabbat. I've already gone into the relationship between Saturn and the number six. Six is the number of orders of the Mishnah and the number of symbolic foods placed on the Passover Seder Plate. The Jewish holiday of Shavuot starts on the sixth day of the Hebrew month of Sivan. Sivan is the ninth month of the civil year and the third month of the ecclesiastical year on the Hebrew calendar. 9-3=6. Sivan usually falls in June(the sixth month) on the Gregorian calendar.

"God" created man on the sixth day. Although it's widely known by all true gnostics that Man in material form was created by the Material GOD aka the Devil. This six day creation of the universe is considered by all true knostics to be unrealistic. It is much more likely that the seven days of creation refer to the stages of creation. The sixth stage being the creation of life after the pact between the spiritual GOD and the Material GOD.

6x6=36 - three-six - three sixes - 666

on the seven segment display of watches and calculators 6 is written with six segments.

In Tarot, trumpcard No. 6 is "The Lovers".

Some frequent keywords used by tarot readers are:

Love relationship ----- Union ----- Passion ----- Sexuality
Pleasure ----- Humanism ----- Desire ----- Personal beliefs
Individual values ----- Physical attraction ----- Connection
Affinity ----- Bonding ----- Romance ----- Heart
Following the Marseille Tradition, also there are:

Choice ----- Doubt ----- Difficult decision ----- Dilemma ----- Temptation

The Lovers shows a young man and woman; most usually side by side, and often naked. The Rider-Waite-Smith card shows them as Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden; the Tree of Life appears behind Adam and the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil appears behind Eve, complete with Serpent. The sun shines directly overhead, underneath which is a winged figure with arms spread.

I welcome all interesting six related information. As I said Science and Belief go hand in hand so I welcome all information from whatever corner of belief. And I hope that somebody makes the effort to reply.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Six appears in many different places in nature. Bees make hexagon-shaped cells, which is interesting because they have six legs. Also, the Giant's Causeway in Ireland has many natural hexagons. I hope you also remember the hexagon-shaped storm on Saturn, it was mentioned here recently, but I can link to it if you do not.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Six is supposed to be the number of man. Basically, the whole 666 symbolism is significant because it represents the total immersion into materialism. Those with the "number 666 upon their head," will most likely be those that choose the world of material substance over the world that God has prepared.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I don't understand tho Why is 6 the number of man?
There are other numbers that have significance as well.
If you were to take the time to do more research you will see 1
as a significant number too. 1 God, we have 1 moon, we have 1 sun,
I have 1 car, 1 house, one life.
If you were to take the time to research any number then you will
see 6 is just another number.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
I don't understand tho Why is 6 the number of man?

probably because 'Adam'= mankind was made/formed/fashioned on the 6th day of creation...(according to the Genesis account)
which caused all the kabalists and esoteric mystics to give great importance and fashion a mystique & numberology with the number Six!

let them weave & create tales, they are busy confounding innocents
with their mesmerizing confluences and iffy truths...thats their jobs- -
to secure their positions in the religious realms, with fantastic dramas.

keep your head on straight......ok?

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
The number 6 signifies imperfection, something not normal, monsterous.

Revelation 13:18
This requries wisdom. Let him that has understanding calculate the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is six hundred and sixty-six

Here the number 6 is emphasized to a third degree, namely, 6 plus 60 plus 600.

Three sixes in a row are meaningful according to bible verse because in the bible three is used to denote emphasis and indcates intensity as well.

So the number 666 means emphatic gross intensity on mans part towards his ability to rule himself in imperfection. Thats where the beast comes in just like the eagel and the bear represent political powers, so does this beast. But it represents ALL forms of governments that man has control over.

Basically the bottom line is the 666 on the beast means ALL of mans governments that have existed and will exist are pathetic and imperfect to the highest degree from God's perspective.

[edit on 24-7-2007 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Don't drive yourself crazy!

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Well, if one wants to get technical about the whole business, it all reverts back to "mammon," or the worship of gross materialism. Ironically enough, we have had such a system for the last 30 years or so.

We put more emphasis on material substance than we do our spirit, which is what has led to the present world condition. Now, instead of man waking up and asking, "What the hell are we doing," he is devolving further into the cess pool called materialism.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a quick link to more information on Mammon:

en.wikipedia.org...

(Vav or Vau) The sixth letter of the Hebrew alphabet, it symbolizes the Spinal Medulla. Vav is the foundation of the property of hearing the word. Means "and," or "connection." Its Kabbalistic value is 6.

Daniel Tammet has Savant Syndrome. He is multi talented but has a very interesting skill with mathematics. Daniel experiences numbers as feelings, colours and shapes.

This is an exerpt from his book 'Born on a Blue Day'

Numbers are my friends and they are always around me. Each one is unique and has it's own personality. Eleven is friendly and five is loud, whereas four is both shy and quiet - it's my favourite number, perhaps because it reminds me of myself. Some are big - 23, 667, 1179 - while others are small: 6, 13, 581. Some are beautiful, like 333, and some are ugly, like 289. To me, every number is special.
No matter where I go or what I'm doing, numbers are never far from my thoughts. In an interview with chat show host David Letterman in New York, I told David he looked like the number 117 - tall and lanky. Later outside, in the appropriately numerically named Times Square, I gazed up at the towering skyscrapers and felt surrounded by nines - the number I most associate with feelings of immensity.

His "visual, emotional" experience of numbers is called synaesthesia. Although synaesthesia with numbers is somewhat common(affects about 1% of the average population), Daniel experiences the numbers as shapes, colours, textures and motions. This means that his experience of th numbers can be quite complex and difficult to describe. He also experiences synaesthesia with words which probably explaines how he was able to learn most of Icelandic language in a week.

Daniels experience of the number six is something like a black hole or a void. A nothingness. I don't think that his means anything at all because obviously different people with numerical synaesthesia will experience each number in a completely unique way. However had there previously been more study of numerical synaesthesia we might have noticed a recurring theme in these "visions". Maybe I am suggesting that people with synaesthesia could be prophets of a sort?

[edit on 5-8-2007 by surrender_dorothy]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

forgive me if this is untrue.. but wasn't the bible written 400 years after Jesus died? and weren't most if not all religious texts burned?

my point is how do we know this is all accurate? just because we believe the bible to be absolute truth? why?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ToolFanMael

wasn't the bible written 400 years after Jesus died?

Actually, the Bible, at 400 years was more just a concept.
It would take another 300 years, [past that point, where it was decided, in general, which books (actually only scattered piles of manuscripts) would be included] before there was a Bible, as we would think of the Bible today.(One big bound book with all the individual books of the Bible included)

[edit on 21-7-2008 by jmdewey60]

new topics

top topics

join