It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Symbols Found In NYC Warehouse

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Mysterious Symbols Found In NYC Warehouse

www.forbes.com

It was a 3-foot-by-10-foot section of timeworn brick wall, its predictable rows abruptly interrupted by three distinct, deliberate-looking triangular shapes. Once part of a warehouse, it now does nothing but raise questions.

Painstakingly preserved from a 175-year-old building in lower Manhattan, the brickwork symbol is part of a tantalizing historical whodunit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
For quick reference, I found a picture of the brick wall, and have highlighted the symbols in it. Here's the picture of the wall sans highlights.

And here's the one with highlights.

The lowdown on the facts:

• The building itself was built in 1832.

• The onetime warehouse was comissioned for the deeply religious William Colgate, founder of what is now Colgate Palmolive Co and the American Bible Society, according to NYC tax records.

• Colgate Palmolive has no record of this building.

• William Colgate prized the building enough to make a special note of it in his will.

• The brickwork pattern was laid sometime in the 20th century.

• The mortar used in the pattern dates to 1950, though the bricks themselves may be older.

• The building is on Pearl Street, in New York, at the edge of the financial district.

www.forbes.com
    (visit the link for the full news article)

(edit: Fixed graphics)

[edit on 7/23/2007 by thelibra]

• posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 09:41 AM
    link   
    OK, a triangle to represent the trinity and God (probably one of those Pythagorean "1+2=3 so God must exist" things) a tau cross (too lazy to research that, but I know it's significant). Don't really know what's going on with the stepped pyramid but maybe it's a symbol of the Tower of Babel.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 09:49 AM
    link   
    I have seen decorative brickwork like this before on walls that are meant to be left bare or simply painted. If, previously, the building had been used as warehouse, it stands to reason that for a large part of its life the walls were out in the open. No one wants boring brick walls when a little effort can make a very ugly grid into an appealing pattern to the eye.

The triangle itself could have been the site of a frame for a sign like:

The real question is do any other columns show similar brickwork?

Jon

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 09:52 AM
    link   
    Voxel, I just think the Tau cross is the real smoking gun here. People who erect these things generally intend them to have some significance.

Also, I don't even know if they had those had those hazard signs in the 50s.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 10:04 AM
    link   
    The triangle does represent the holy trinity, however the triangle pointing up can also mean fire and divine power.
    The symbol that it is point to may also have some significance.

[edit on 23-7-2007 by RedGolem]

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 10:06 AM
    link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
    The triangle to represent the holy trinity is usually supposed to have a circle around it. However the triangle pointing up can also mean fire and divine power.
    The symbol that it is point to may also have some significance.

Why fire, RedGolem?

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 10:12 AM
    link   
    As to the Tau Cross
    It is also know as the cross of St Anthony. St Anthony was believed to have chased away a pack of demons with a cross of that type.
    The Tau Cross as a symbol has all been associated with life and security.

So now you have they symbol of fire and divine power pointing toward the symbol of life and security.

Not to sure where it might lead to next.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 10:15 AM
    link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
    As to the Tau Cross
    It is also know as the cross of St Anthony. St Anthony was believed to have chased away a pack of demons with a cross of that type.
    The Tau Cross as a symbol has all been associated with life and security.

So now you have they symbol of fire and divine power pointing toward the symbol of life and security.

Not to sure where it might lead to next.

Seems like a "magnum opus" thing to me. I am referring to the "great work" of alchemy, that is, the refinement of the human spirit. A possible interpretation is as follows:

1. The tower of Babel is a symbol of base and unrefined humanity with a desire for refinement.

2. The triangle represents the next step in the process, a refining fire.

3. The tau cross represents the goal of the process, eternal life and also security.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 10:24 AM
    link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist

Why fire, RedGolem?

Uberarcanist,
    The triangle is used in astrological signs as a fire symbol. As to why I can't really give you a good answer. I can say that moder symbols to come from ancient symbols which often mean different things. As was already noted in the post above of the triangle being used as a caution sign.
    The fire signs of the zodiac are represented by the triangle pointing up, the water signs by the triangle pointing down.
    Hope that helps some.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 10:32 AM
    link   
    The bottom symbol looks a little bit like the Isis Throne symbol...Description of Isis Throne symbol

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 10:35 AM
    link   

1. The tower of Babel is a symbol of base and unrefined humanity with a desire for refinement.

2. The triangle represents the next step in the process, a refining fire.

3. The tau cross represents the goal of the process, eternal life and also security.

Uberarcanist,
    I do think that is a very brilliant deduction! Good job.

As far as the tower symbol goes I could not really find any reference to it. But I think you may very well be right.
    As if we will ever know the truth, I doubt that will ever come out. I suspected the alchemy symbol relationship from the start, but would need really be able to dig deep into the background of the building owners and builders. My research is mostly limited to what is on the web.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 10:36 AM
    link   

Voxel, I just think the Tau cross is the real smoking gun here. People who erect these things generally intend them to have some significance.

Well you see a tau cross and I see, at best, a "T." Seriously, a tau cross is everywhere because it looks pretty much like a "T." I guess everyone who places a lone "T" somewhere is really showing a Tau Cross, eh? You know, it really would help esoteric symbolism if they would stop using letters and basic geometry and instead developed unique symbols.

How many tau crosses are in this teXt alone?

And where do you see a stepped pyramid? How are you sure it isn't just a brickwork triangle?

Jon

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 10:38 AM
    link   
    I can't be for sure, Voxel, but it still looks like a deliberate statement to me.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 10:58 AM
    link   
    I can understand that, uber, but people seeking to make a deliberate statement would put this on the outside a building. If questioned by those outside the know then you can simply say:

"It is just decoration." Wink. Wink. Nod. Nod.

The masons, the OTO, and various other esoteric groups put their symbols in plain view because that is how mysterious symbols get their power and allure in the first place.

It seem to me like people just want this building to be the location of some super-secret-thing where people worshiped a couple of bricks located in the column of a warehouse. It isn't like they found an altar or a scroll; it is a structural column behind a wall in a warehouse for Bob's sake.

Jon

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 11:16 AM
    link   
    Well, Jon, maybe the owner was highly superstitious and viewed it as some kind of good-luck talisman.

-Drew

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 11:17 AM
    link   
    Maybe it was some sort of symbolism that his business has good luck? keeping out evil spirits from the building. I think he was probably a superstitious man. Just look at his symbolism on his products with the moon and stars.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 11:27 AM
    link   
    Pie,
    I agree that it could be out of superstition, keeping bag luck or spirits away although be it I think better symbols could have been chosen for that task. Say a pentagram, or dream catcher, or in keeping the the christian symbols that they seem to be, a roman cross, or something more depicting of the holy trinity.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 11:31 AM
    link   

lol, sorry, I had to.

Really though, it could be anything, from simple remains of what was future construction information, like, how much weight the upper floor can hold, to placement for a warning sign, to, well, pretty much anything.

Let the historians do their work, then we'll find out what it is.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 11:35 AM
    link   
    I think the "instructions for bricklayers" hypothesis is also valid, as illiteracy was quite high when this building was constructed.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join