It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coming Conflict in The Arctic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Russia and US to Square Off Over Arctic Energy Reserves

www.globalresearch.ca...

Russian President Vladimir Putin and U.S. President George W. Bush spent most of their time at the “lobster summit” at Kennebunkport, Maine, discussing how to prevent the growing tensions between their two countries from getting out of hand.

The media and international affairs experts have been portraying missile defense in Europe and the final status of Kosovo as the two most contentious issues between Russia and the United States, with mutual recriminations over “democracy standards” providing the background for the much anticipated onset of a new Cold War. But while this may well be true for today, the stage has been quietly set for a much more serious confrontation in the non-too-distant future between Russia and the United States – along with Canada, Norway and Denmark.

Russia has recently laid claim to a vast 1,191,000 sq km (460,800 sq miles) chunk of the ice-covered Arctic seabed. The claim is not really about territory, but rather about the huge hydrocarbon reserves that are hidden on the seabed under the Arctic ice cap. These newly discovered energy reserves will play a crucial role in the global energy balance as the existing reserves of oil and gas are depleted over the next 20 years.

``````````````````````
Edited cut/paste to 3 paragraphs

Please read Copyrighted material in Posts and Pdcasts

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and

Posting work written by others

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 22/7/07 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I just can't see how it would be cost-efficient to harvest those resources. Too many breakdowns due to cold weather.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
I just can't see how it would be cost-efficient to harvest those resources. Too many breakdowns due to cold weather.

You have no idea how good the government and military are in the cold, believe me its gonna be no problem at all and in fact they are probably already doing it. Also i cant believe the oil is gonna be depleted in 20 years...thats pretty scary

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist

It may well become cost efficient in the next 50 years as the cap melts. The current warming is causing me to look north for property, why not on the far north of Canada... a little coastline up there might be worth something soon.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I find it funny that this is one of my first posts, and yet by now, we have seen so much that points in that direction.

Its too bad that we as humans dont pay more attention to this..

top topics

join