It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Harry Potter Won't be a Bestseller

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Why Harry Potter Won't be a Bestseller

www.huffingtonpost.com

Huh? The book that will probably set a single day and one week sales record, the book hundreds of thousands will line up for at midnight won't be the Number One book on The New York Times Bestseller list? That's right because Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a children's book and those books don't count.

It happened in 2000. The Harry Potter books -- a once in a lifetime publishing phenomenon -- were dominating the bestseller lists, with three titles ensconced in the Top 15 ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
A best seller is a Bestseller, it shouldn't matter what the book is about!

Whichever books have the most sales is a Bestseller.

Apparently, back in 2000, other publishing companies moaned loud enough to the New York Times that it wasn't fair that the Harry Potter series had 3 books in the Bestsellers top 15 list and bookstore owners complained that other books they had to sell, weren't selling, because they weren't on the Bestseller List because the Harry Potter books kept them off the list. The NYT gave in and decided to bar "children's" books from the Bestsellers List.

So, you'll never see "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" on the Bestsellers List.

I guess Harry Potter lost this fight.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22/7/07 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Meh...

Like the New York Times is relevant in any shape or form... It's just another example of them distorting reality. The "Old Gray Lady" should be (and by the looks of things by the internet eventually will be) put down.

It's clear that JK has what by all accounts is the greatest single book release in history... If the house of journalism fraud is recalcitrant in reporting it, or garnering the praise the book should receive it matters not.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I dont care what movieor book critics say. If I think a movie warrants being watched Im going to watch it. If a book series is good so far with all of them being read I'm going to read the next book in the series regardless if it's a bestseller or not.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
First day sales of "The Deathly Hollow" was 8.3 million in the US.

But alas, not on the NYT Bestseller List.

new topics

top topics

join