It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taiwan eyes editing China from textbooks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Taiwan eyes editing China from textbooks

news.yahoo.com

TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan plans to revise school textbooks to drop references that recognize Chinese historical figures, places and artifacts as "national," an official said Sunday.

The announcement is the latest in a series of moves by the island in the past few months to assert its sovereignty as President Chen Shui-bian's final term in office winds down. China claims Taiwan as its own and has repeatedly threatened to attack should the island formalize its de facto independence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
People always look to the Middle East as the flashpoint for WWIII, but Taiwan and China are at the least neck and neck. No doubt China will begin its bully act adn sabre rattling as it always does. At some point the Taiwanese will and SHOULD declare thier endependance and throw off the threats of thier communist neighbor. Taiwan is its own country at this point.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Time favours China for an couple of simple reasons China is growing economically stronger and its military is modernising. The other factor is the return of Vietnam syndrome in the form of Iraq or put another way the US leaders and public fear that every armed conflict is going to turn into an quagmire.

I support Taiwan declaring independence but they do just need to get it over with.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I disagree xpert.. iraq is not another quagmire.. poorly planned to a degree, yes..more troops should have been there from the get go.. but we did destroy the iraqi military in less then 3 weeks. That and we over through the taliban (something the soviets couldnt do in there hayday) just a few years earlier. for those who thought the war was over after the fall of baghdad.. shame on you.

And taiwan needs to quit pussy footing around and just get it over with...

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
A formal declaration of Taiwanese independence may be just the thing to kick off a revolution in favor of democracy on the mainland. You see, if Taiwan declares independence, China will *STILL* not be in a good position to invade, therefore they will not, therefore the Chinese people will see that China cannot make good on its biggest threat, therefore the emperor will have no clothes and the jig is up.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by West Coast
I disagree xpert.. iraq is not another quagmire.. poorly planned to a degree, yes..more troops should have been there from the get go.. but we did destroy the iraqi military in less then 3 weeks.

You misunderstand I said that US political leaders and voters would fear another quagmire developing I didn't say that I thought personally think that Iraq is an quagmire.

And taiwan needs to quit pussy footing around and just get it over with...

Are you also disagreeing with me on this matter as well ?

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I guess it`s all about perspective.

I read the story and saw that Taiwan was removing their claim to the PRC and attempting to distance themselves from same, culturally speaking. Not sure how they`ll manage to get it across to people given the demographics, but an interesting move nontheless. Anything that backs them away from their claim as the overlords of SE Asia will make me sleep a little more soundly.

Not alot of people in the west want to admit it for some reason, but this is a big part of the problem: Taiwan does not wish for mere independance, they see themselves as the proper rulers of mainland China. Up until recently, they claimed Mongolia, a bit of Russia, and a big chunk of Myanmar as well, in addition to Tibet. References to Tibet and Mongolia still remain in the constitution - in terms of how they will be administered when the big day comes, among other things.

Remind me again, why these are the good guys?

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
You have got to love it. It would appear Taiwan is reading UK newspapers and taking lessons. Now that will really tick China off.

new topics

top topics

join