It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Southwest Population will Migrate to the Great Lakes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I read an interesting article in the Toronto Star about the potential for the Great Lakes to be a new growth area. I found it interesting, but I don't expect it to happen. I live in the great lakes and maybe prejudice in my views.

I really don't want all those people up here! I was in flats in Cleveland yesterday sitting watching the abundant water (The "Mighty Cuyahoga" flowing into Lake Erie), I saw a barge, recreational boats, trains go over the lift bridge and as I sipped my beer I felt very lucky to be living in such a beautiful place.

Sure it has its problem, but if your educated and/or motivated to have your own business you can make a good living and there is plenty of cheap housing, open space and lots of fresh water.

I don't think that even if the water runs out that the people in the southwest will come to Detroit, Buffalo or Cleveland. More than likely they will "invade" closer areas like Texas, Lousiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, N. Calif., Oregon, Washington, B.C., etc. first.

One thing that everyone in the great lakes area is in agreement on is that we will not ship our water to other areas!

Toronto Star Article on Great Lakes Water!

[edit on 7/22/07 by mel1962]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Not to be picky but Oklahoma and Texas are in the southwest.

Roper

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roper

Roper

Yes, but check the weather, they are getting plenty of rain and have more water than S. Calif. Arizona & Nevada.

I consider Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas the South Central! I don't go by the College Conference Criteria!

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mel1962

Roper

Yes, but check the weather, they are getting plenty of rain and have more water than S. Calif. Arizona & Nevada.

I consider Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas the South Central! I don't go by the College Conference Criteria!

I'm from Oklahoma and the rain fall depends on where you live. Also run off only helps so much, then it floods. I also live 10 miles from TX , 40 from KS, 100 miles from NM and about the same from CO. I guess what I'm tell you is I see a lot of weather.

Also we ain't moving north, but thanks for the invite.

Roper

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I mean no disrespect to people in the southwest (CA, AZ & NV) or anyone else, but I don't want to see overdevelopment anywhere.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Yeah, I can see it now, a pipeline from the Great Lakes to Arizona. The only hitch will be all those dryland wheat farmers in Kansas. The crops start to wither and that pipeline will sprout bullet holes faster than a Babtist preacher can count a collection plate.

By the time something trickles out of the Arizona end of that pipe, it'll be less water than the Rio Grande has by the time it reaches the Gulf.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Does the term "rust belt" fit in anywhere with the thoughts of mass migration from the desert southwest to the cold northeast.

The southwest is booming in construction. I don't think of Cleveland when I think of good economic growth areas of the country. I think what you really wanted to say is you don't want new Americans to move to your area. "usted entiende"

BTW: I live in the the midwest heartland of the USA. We have our own problems of chronic shortages of qualified labor for construction and factory workers.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Michigan resident here. We also haven't had much rain, less than a half an inch all month.

They certainly can't be meaning a move to Michigan.
No jobs. Not even for those who want them. Electricians and other skilled trades work outstate and send money to their families or commute homw for weekends.

Our comomy is putting us at the bottom of the 50 states.
But our water is not for sale

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I fear if the North American Union become reality, one of its major projects will be to pipe Great Lakes to the southwest!

The current international treaty between Quebec, Ontario, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, New York and Pennsylvania would be null avoid!

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Isn't the water in the Great Lakes saline??

If so then treating the H2O will be costly and won't be useful for irrigation.

Roper

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Isn't the water in the Great Lakes saline??

If so then treating the H2O will be costly and won't be useful for irrigation.

Roper

Its fresh water, it is used as drinking water for Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and Buffalo. It is very fresh and treatment is a minimum price, not much salt in that there water!

You maybe thinking of the Great Salt Lake in Utah????

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
No I know what and where the salt lake is.

I read or heard that the salt content of the Great lakes was on the rise. I did a quick Google and read one person that said " don't swim or eat the fish out of Erie.

We here is Okla. are trying to keep water in this state, Texas keeps wanting to buy. Texas just needs to build more lakes and maybe pump the Red River, but the Red has a salt problem and nitrates.

Roper

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   

No I know what and where the salt lake is.

I read or heard that the salt content of the Great lakes was on the rise. I did a quick Google and read one person that said " don't swim or eat the fish out of Erie.

We here is Okla. are trying to keep water in this state, Texas keeps wanting to buy. Texas just needs to build more lakes and maybe pump the Red River, but the Red has a salt problem and nitrates.

Roper

Saline rate probable varies depending on the weather, we have been in a bit of drought. It could be that all the salt we dump on the roads in the winter is causing this!

Never thought of that before, thanks for the heads up Roper, I will check that out, I could end up living next the the Erie Sea!

top topics

join