It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can animals laugh?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
According to Dr. Jaak Panksepp, a Neuroscientist at Bowling Green State University studying the phenomenon, the answer is YES. Using sensitive audio equipment, they have observed rats during play and being tickled to actually display laughter!

video.google.com...

[edit on 22-7-2007 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
That's a very interesting study. I never thought about animals laughing. I personally didn't hear it but that's just me. I'm not saying it didn't I just don't have the best hearing, so it was hard for me to hear the laughter if there was any. Good job on finding the study. I look forward to seeing what other finding they discover about animals.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
That is interesting, I guess there is more to the animal brain than we thought. I wonder if this is an emotional "happy" response or just a result of the tickling, as the rats seemed happier to see the man over time. If they can detect this, what other emotions might they be able to detect?

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I have heard of this but, not in rats... apparently when dogs 'pant' they are actually laughing.... It makes sense too, because dogs pant even when there not running 10000 miles an hour, they seem to do it when they get exited.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bumr055
I have heard of this but, not in rats... apparently when dogs 'pant' they are actually laughing.... It makes sense too, because dogs pant even when there not running 10000 miles an hour, they seem to do it when they get exited.

I believe dogs pant because they have no sweat glands, and it's a way for them to cool down. And, believe it or not, I just tried tickling my dog and it made sounds very similar to those rats in the video, almost like she was giggling. Wierd stuff

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
i grew up on a horse farm.and there would alway be one that played practical jokes.i know they were laughing behind my back.recently a wild rabbit has been jumping out at me from behind trees and from the flower beds ,sniffs my shoe then goes on his way.I just about jump out of my skin when he does that. We always called these animal tricksters.So i say why not?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Chimpansees can definately laugh, but not in the way we do. They open up their mouth, and display all their teeth, and makes, well, "giggling" sounds.

I would expect other monkey species to do the same.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Chimp do that because they are frightend or angry. It's a sign saying don't come close! link

But I do believe that animals are capable of expressing and feeling happy emotions. Maybe not the same way as humans, but that doesn't matter. Feelings are feelings.

Juliet

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Interesting topic.

On the laughing, not too sure across natures fauna but I'm willing to give Dr. Panksepp and his rat study credence.

I do know that animals express joy in many ways and you needn't do long term experiments to prove that. I've personally seen the emotion expressed in just about everything but insects, snakes and worms.

And that may be due to the fact that their body language is unreadable.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I don't think all animals can laugh, as some lack vocal chords. However I know for a fact (as do most of you no doubt) that dogs display joy and contentment by wagging their tails and cats purr.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Anyone who ever lived with a pet ( well, ok fish don't really count ) and doesn't know for sure, that they can display emotions, has some serious mental issues
Lived with a pack of ferrets for quite some time and i know, they laughed their fuzzy mischievous butts off quite often.

Our problem is, that we are only accustomed to recognize laughter through vocal chords.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I absolutely believe that animals can 'laugh'. It may not be a loud guffaw, but again I believe they do laugh. When I pet my dog, he has a ticklish spot. His back leg will start to kick, and he will open his mouth while looking at me with a very happy face. If that's not laughing I don't know what is!

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Yes, and they are pointing and mocking at several of you, now.

They can also read while you use the computer!

Okay, seriously. I have cats, they get embarrassed when they stumble or miss landing on what they jumped on. Ever notice how a cat will look around to see if anything else saw it and then run away.

I have no reason to not think that an animal can express emotions, even laugher and joy.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Interesting topic.

On the laughing, not too sure across natures fauna but I'm willing to give Dr. Panksepp and his rat study credence.

I do know that animals express joy in many ways and you needn't do long term experiments to prove that. I've personally seen the emotion expressed in just about everything but insects, snakes and worms.

And that may be due to the fact that their body language is unreadable.

Snakes arnt tooo tooo hard to understand, they have 3 simple emotions "Relaxed, Hungry, Angry" Relaxed is just when they lay about... Hungry is obvious and Angry is when they form the S in their necks or get up.. different with each snake of course. Aside from that snakes arnt so easy to understand
just important to realize Mr. Nibbles isn't saying hi by arching up and opening his mouth.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
My dog, Sallie Derra, is a VERY smart mutt with Lab and Dalmation mixed up just right.
She does tricks like:
Frisbee (what a jumper!)
Fetch (as any good dog should do)
Roll over
Play dead (But only if you "shoot" her with a finger gun)
Sit pretty
Dance on her hind paws
and speak (inside AND outside voices)

When my kid gets home from camp/school, she'll sit down and call the dog, who will trot over, GRINNING in happyness. Her grin is where she just shows her front teeth while wagging her tail furiously.
I found a very ticklish spot on her back paw pads which makes her grin, then show all her teeth and then....yawn. I can inspire a yawn out of the dog within 10 seconds just by tickling her toes.
As of yet, I haven't recognized anything resembling a laugh, but, I've definately amused her on a number of times.
I think she does though.

Cuhail

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Yeah I could sertinly agree! Animals all have their own personality, and I know from all the little critters Ive had threw my life I have seen them smile.
But my dog, couldnt find a human joke funny. However if I tickle him he gives off this little chuckle!! Its so freakin cute!! haha thanks for bringing up this post, thats just shows Im not crazy!! Im showing my friends this post, as I say hey my dog laughs.. And they laugh at me...

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ambushrocks
Chimp do that because they are frightend or angry. It's a sign saying don't come close! link

Chimps makes high pitched sounds when they are scared/angry, not giggling sounds. I've actually seen them 'laugh' on several occations.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I definetely believe animals laugh or at the very least have a sense of humor. I've been a bystander as a flock of seagulls was flying over some people walking down the street . One dropped a bomb on one of the pedestrians, and the whole flock began calling out loudly. To me it seemed as if they were laughing about the trick pulled by the culprit gull.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
As for a vocal laugh I have not heard any of the dogs I have had the pleasure to be with laugh. But just like Cuhail stated, they do grin a lot!! My dog at home will jump on the bed roll over and expect a tummy rub and once you get her going her left hind foot goes wild and a big ol’ grin comes across her face. Same thing happens when I’m out of the house for an unusually long time when I get home its all grins and wags.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I have two male rats that play with each other all the time. They roll around mock fighting and "chuff chuff chuff chuff" at each other. This is an audible noise. They make this noise when I scoop them up and rub their fat bellies. They also make this noise when I scratch their heads behind their ears. I think rat laughter is perfectly audible if you are doing it right...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join