It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God does not exist, at least not in the classical sense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I'm not meaning the existence or non existence, I'm meaning what he is if he does exist. If he does exist, and we have free will, he is not all knowing, as if he were we do not have free will (my thanks to Major malfunction for posting something which said that, though she uses it as absolute proof he doesn't exist). If god is Omnipresent, I think he would be rather confused, as it would be difficult to think quickly enough, and anyway that was more likely made up as a supernatural Big brother type system to try and keep people in line.

And if he created the universe, he wouldn't make it so screwed up, since he has put living sentient creatures in it, which would make him evil.

Hence, if there is a god, we do not have the correct idea of what he is. I'm thinking some intelligent being, but where is anyones guess.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I believe it was Arthur C. Clarke who said that, to a primitive society, any advanced-enough technology will appear to be magical (extrapolate to "divine").

I've seen someone talking in a thread here about artificial universes.

You know I don't believe in god (thanks for the kudos, if it's the post I think I made, madnessinmysoul actually found the site first), but for the sake of discussion, I'll play along.

If there's no supernatural god, but there is a creator of our universe, then it would have to be some sort of alien species with such advanced technology we can't even conceive of how it works. Yet.

Considering how there is no evidence of any kind of creation, though, I can't believe in hyperintelligent advanced aliens either. But it's more possible to me that we have THAT kind of god than the invisible sky fairy variety.

And no, I'm not saying I believe there could be a god, for those of you lying in wait for my words to trip me up. I'm just playing skeptic's advocate. I can't play devil's advocate because I don't believe in him either.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I've seen someone talking in a thread here about artificial universes.

yup that's the ticket, define metaphysical and supernatural, I would think today with modern technology we could actually be fooled into believing what we have been told all these centuries.

I don't use the bible so much a a moral compass, but more like there are some secrets hidden in there that might help us in the future.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
We, each of us, view God in different ways, because, afterall, we're all different from each other.

My own view of God is that he's rather a standoffish gal, above our likes and dislikes. Omniscient? Don't know. Omnipresent? Yes. I suppose those two views are not always compatible, how can a being be omnipresent, and not be omniscient? As I said, she's kind of a standoffish guy. Maybe he's just waiting for us to catch up in whatever fashion is neccessary... I don't claim any understanding of his mind, I just know she is...

Not exactly a classical view of God, I'll admit. Several centuries ago, it would have got me burned. But there it is...

[edit on 23-7-2007 by seagull]

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Your god also seems to have no idea what gender it is either, or are those typos?

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
As I said, above...I've no idea whether he's one or the other, she may be both, does it really matter?

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
No, not at all, I just found it funny the way you wrote it. Fair enough, but most people seem to have a specific gender in mind, but now you mention it, I don't really see why.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I was hoping someone would catch the attempt at humour. I'm not always as successful as I'd like to be at it...

I've never understood the preoccupation with gender with regard to God, or a godhead if you prefer. When we join with god, there isn't a his and hers section.

new topics

top topics

join