It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America: Land of the 'fraid, home of the scared

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I thought that paranoia was part of the American way of life? Wasn't the cold war almost entirely a period of paranoia and suspicion? In fact, isn't the world we live in today hugely influenced by America's fears over the last 60 years?

Stuff like getting a man on the moon was a product of your fear.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Well, I work with over 800,000 other people, and I know of none of them who are scared. Working in a facility that processess millions of pieces of mail a week, I would call it vigilant. The U.S. Postal Service has had measures in effect for suspicious mail long before any of the terrorism BS. To do otherwise would be ignorant and irresponsible, wouldn't it?

Afraid? Never.
Scared? Of zealots, wackos and other things? Sure, who isn't? Just my 2 cents.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
The people are scared because fear sells. The evening infotainment (I refuse to call it news) runs stories that are about stirring up the fear almost exclusively.

If we're all afraid and jumping at shadows, we might not notice what the government and it's corporate overlords are up to, so bring on the terror!

Right!!! Thats a very good way of looking at it! All this stuff that sells is making people alot of money! So where does one draw the line between taking a step to helping make it a better world, or helping yourself to make it a better world for just yourself?

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
By the Amount of Zanax and anti anxiety medication yes we are scared as a nation of people and we are depressed as well

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman
By the Amount of Zanax and anti anxiety medication yes we are scared as a nation of people and we are depressed as well

Adult use of antidepressants almost tripled between 1988-1994 and 1999-2000

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

Why are Americans depressed?

Because living in fear is depressing.

Fear of losing your job, fear of losing your house, fear of losing your spouse, your mind, and your country.
Fear of terrorists and global warming.
Fear is depressing, so keep popping those pills America.

As somebody once said, "The only thing we have to fear, is running out of meds".

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobafett1972
Well, I work with over 800,000 other people, and I know of none of them who are scared.

Uh huh.
You have asked all 800,000 people have you?

I guess postal employees never just lose it from living a life filled with fear and 'go postal'.
Wait a second, where did that term going postal come from?
Looks like there have been numerous instances of paranoid people in your line of work.

I guess they are all gone now, or on meds. ^

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo

Uh huh.
You have asked all 800,000 people have you?

I guess postal employees never just lose it from living a life filled with fear and 'go postal'.
Wait a second, where did that term going postal come from?
Looks like there have been numerous instances of paranoid people in your line of work.

I guess they are all gone now, or on meds. ^

Wow! Thanks for this. Man, that never gets old. Funny, people do not go around saying, "Don't go Columbine on me" or "Please don't go Branch Davidian on me". As if the Postal Service is the only company that has had people lose it and start shooting? Maybe you shouldn't attack my profession and my career.

It is a sad day when others pain is turned in to a slogan and poked fun at.

[edit on 7/26/2007 by bobafett1972]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Yeah I caught the McDonalds comment but you had edited it out by the time I went to quote it.
If I remember that quote came from an X-files episode with the magician that had his head cut off.
Anywho, I dont work at a McDonalds, I own one. Thats where you may have gotten mixed up.

Now, are you going to answer my question?
Did you ask all 800,000 of your coworkers?

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Most likely not since your generalization was as broad as mine was. The reason for the edit was simply because is wasn't necessary, though it is a tad funny. But here is sort of an answer:

People is the U.S. recieve mail whether they want it or not, 6 days a week, except on holidays. So, based on yet another broad generalization with all the supposed ANTHRAX scares after 2001, yes, I do believe that I have asked all 800,000 of my co-workers, since they seem to be showing up for work.

Good enough?

peace

B

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
AND THEN...if i dont watch the news, i have withdrawals and wonder if something is going on and i'm missing it

We are victims of the media and the government.

You don't have to worry about missing anything big on the news. Go ahead and unplug the TV, radio, and newspaper for awhile. Then if you really want to know if something big is happening, just come here to ATS. Check the hot topics on the main board. If nothing big is being discussed, then you missed nothing.

Guess where I learned about Kitrnia? If you said ATS, you win the gold star and cupie doll. If news of a terrorist attack or alien attack was to ever take place, this place will be flooded faster than they could get the info on air or radio, and papers will be left in the dust.

Heck I get more important news here, than anywhere else. Other places, I usually just see headline junk.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Well, we have allowed the patriot act to continue.
Now they have increased it another 6 months.
Bush wanted it permanent.

A 12 yr old boy was on the watch list the other day, and couldn't fly.
I would say this is the fruits of a paranoid government.
The enemy isn't Osama, or Al Quada, or Iran, but
US.

The government keeps secrets from US
The government hides emails from US
The government likes US to be scared.
Then we look to them for protection
from US.

Look at US. Cops killing innocents.
Wars on drugs, wars on ideologies.
They just had to kill Koresh. He was
such a threat to society.

I'm not saying he was right, but did
they have the right to kill him, and
his followers.

I think they will kill anybody who threatens
their rule, including US.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Just because the gov't may, or may not, want us to be "scared", I've not run into many who are...and I'm as paranoid as many here. Not to the calibre of DG perhaps, but paranoid nevertheless. Sorry, DG, couldn't help myself

I don't see a whole lot of fear out in the world. Fear mongering maybe, but it doesn't seem to be sticking. Caution doesn't equal fear. Taking precautions doesn't equal living in fear. At least not by my definitions

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join