It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

English Premier League Chat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
With the new season fast approaching, and I've searched for a duplicate of what I'm about to do and found nothing - I've set up a 'English Football Leagues Chat' thread.

Talk about what here?

Well anything really regarding the English football game? From the Premiership as far down to the Conference Leagues. Talk away about the latest gossip, results that went or didn't go your way and transfer rumors and confirmations. Let's make it an in depth guide to what's happening in the English Leagues!

The Premiership is followed not just by people like myself who live somewhere in the United Kingdom, but all around the World. And the coverage isn't that great for these followers of the English game. So we can work together and present information as the season is going along.

Let's get things rolling with a bit of new pre-season transfer gossip!

Atletico Madrid midfielder Martin Petrov has issued what appears to be a come-and-get-me plea to Tottenham.

Spurs boss Martin Jol has been a long-time admirer of the 28-year-old Bulgarian, and failed with a £7.5million for him a year ago. But he remains interested although it is thought he faces competition from new Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Petrov appears to be keener on a move to White Hart Lane, though, with the News of the World quoting him as saying: "Spurs are a big club and this season play in the UEFA Cup - that is always an interest to any player."

I think this would be a good buy for Spurs. The Bulgarian player has had around 64 caps for his country so would bring a bit of experience to the Tottenham midfield. His performances in the 2006 qualifying campaign earned him the 2006 Bulgarian Footballer of the Year award, so he is ranked fairly highly.

West Ham will reportedly sign Freddie Ljungberg this week, while they are also being heavily linked with a move for Lomana LuaLua.

The People claim Ljungberg is ready to put pen to paper at Upton Park after agreeing personal terms worth around £60,000 a week in a deal that will net Arsenal £3million. Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has told the Swede he is no longer part of his plans and West Ham now appear to have jumped ahead of Fiorentina in the race for the 30-year-old midfielder.

But Hammers boss Alan Curbishley's summer activity looks unlikely to stop with the signing of Ljungberg, as several of Sunday's newspapers claim LuaLua is the next man on his hitlist. The Portsmouth striker faces renewed competition at Fratton Park following the arrivals of David Nugent and John Utaka.

And Curbishley reckons he can lure the DR Congo frontman to join Craig Bellamy in a newly-strengthened frontline.

The partnership of Bellamy and Lua Lua could be very interesting as both players hold a fair share of pace. Saying that though, they could cancel each other out because of their similarities. It would be a major coup if the Hammers can snatch Freddie for a place in midfield next season. I still think he is a very reliable performer and would play well for West Ham.

Real Madrid forward Julio Baptista is being lined up for a £6million move to Newcastle, according to the Sunday Mirror.

The Brazilian spent last season at Arsenal on loan and Real sources have apparently claimed that the Magpies have now made their interest known. Baptista is flattered by the interest from "a big club" but is waiting to hear if he has a future with the Spanish champions before deciding on any move.

He said: "I believe I showed at Arsenal last season that I can play in England, score goals and make goals.

"Newcastle is a big club but before I consider a move I need to know about my future with Real. I want the chance in pre-season to show our new coach Bernd Schuster I should be part of his plans. If things don't work out here I will have to look at other options in Spain and England."

Still not too sure about Baptista. Looking at his goalscoring record, he is quite prolific but I think it's really knowing where his best position is. Upfront as the main striker or playing just off or behind them? I'm guessing Sam Allardyce at Newcastle has decent plans for the lad. But with Owen, Martins and Viduka as well as a few Newcastle youngsters battling it out for a striking position, I'm guessing he thinks the 'attacking midfielder role' would be more suited.

So come on football fans!

Chat away. I love the English Football Leagues and I'm a member of many football forums. So let's get chatting about the up coming season, and of course during the season itself.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The only chat you need is manchester utd = 2007/08 champions , I cant see any one coming near them this season the signings are amazing if and when they get Tevez aswell , it will be the best team to watch ever , they will be unstopable.

Liverpool will be more consistent this term but will come 3rd Chelsea will come 2nd again.

I also expect theese 3 to carve up the rest of the trophys between them including the champions league where I again expect Utd to to win.

Ps I am not a Utd fan!

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by buckaroo
The only chat you need is manchester utd = 2007/08 champions , I cant see any one coming near them this season the signings are amazing if and when they get Tevez aswell , it will be the best team to watch ever , they will be unstopable.

Liverpool will be more consistent this term but will come 3rd Chelsea will come 2nd again.

I also expect theese 3 to carve up the rest of the trophys between them including the champions league where I again expect Utd to to win.

Ps I am not a Utd fan!

I have to agree with you and I'm a Chelsea fan of 13 years. Man UTD are definitely the team to beat. The inclusion of Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson are fantastic buys. Near the 20 Million mark each, but that's the prices this year/summer if you want to buy quality players. They will make their money back no problem.

Ferguson knows how to bring players through, and I respect the man for that. It would be so tasty to have all 3, including Ronaldo, in the starting line up week in week out, but Fergie knows that wouldn't be so beneficial. He needs his wise heads in Giggs and Scholes etc to lead the attack for a new season, whilst introducing these young gems every so often. Obviously if they kick ass, how can you leave them out? Nani is a fantastic buy though with such qualities as Ronaldo and look how much he has improved as a player just by being at Man UTD under Fergusons guidance!? Anderson is a hot talent through the middle and Hargreaves is decent. Hargreaves still has to prove himself to the English crowd I think, but he has the chance in this up and coming season in which to do so.

And as you say, with the possible (almost definite) inclusion of Tevez in the near future if the transfer saga gets solved, their attack line gets even stronger, because we have forgot one man - Rooney. They will be the team to beat definitely next season. I just hope the other teams including Chelsea have a good run of results to keep things interesting.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 05:29 AM
link   
FOWLER PLANS TO FLY WITH BLUEBIRDS

I'm very happy the way Cardiff City have bought this season. Not living too far away from Cardiff (only 4.50 on the train) the thought of them getting to the Premiership so all the Premiership clubs are playing on my doorstep is mouth drooling. We had the chance last season if we kept our good form going throughout, but as all Welsh sides and the National teams do...their form frops dramatically and we slipped away to mid table.

The signing of Robbie Fowler is a great buy for us. We have sold Michael Chopra who was our top goalscorer last season. I always think like this though : Why sell your best players, especially if they are the top goalscorers? I understand that with the cash from the sale Cardiff can strengthen in other areas, and hopefully Fowler will kick ass in the league, but Chopra was a very good player. Someone Cardiff needed for this up coming campaign. If we struggle for goals this term I'll know where to put the blame. If you sell your top goalscorer you need to replace him big time as the team will miss him.

Anyway Robbie Fowler has spoken out about his move to sunny Cardiff City:

Robbie Fowler has revealed the challenge of winning promotion to the Barclays Premier League and playing regular first-team football persuaded him to join Cardiff. The former England striker is set to put pen to paper on a two-year deal with the ambitious Coca-Cola Championship outfit. Bluebirds boss Dave Jones has hailed the move for the Liverpool legend, 32, as the biggest transfer coup in the club's history. And Fowler insists he is not moving to South Wales to wind down his glittering career.

He told the Western Mail: "The most important thing for me is that when you look at Cardiff you see an ambitious club and a situation that is going to give me a real challenge. I want to play regular football and achieve things, and Cardiff offer me that opportunity."

"During my time at Liverpool over the last season, I wasn't used as much as I would have liked but hopefully I can get back to week-in, week-out games with Cardiff. "I could have remained in the Premier League and been with a club battling relegation. "But I prefer to be with a club like Cardiff and try to get promotion. That is a challenge that really does appeal to me in the coming season."

Fowler will reportedly become the highest paid player in Cardiff's history, with a £15,000-a-week salary and generous goal and appearance bonuses on top. He chose the Bluebirds over a move to Australia and Championship rivals Leicester after being persuaded by the ambition and drive shown by manager Jones and chairman Peter Ridsdale. Fowler, who left Liverpool at the end of last season, reckons regular first-team football will allow him to flourish at Ninian Park.

He added: "As a striker, you need that in order to be properly sharp in front of goal. "People have said I'm past my best and I've heard other sorts of comments like that. "But they forget I'm still only 32...and that's not so old. I have had injuries, but I'm in good shape again, I'm raring to go and I can't wait to get playing for Cardiff.

"I'm really happy to be joining. I'm coming to hopefully help Cardiff with a real push at promotion next season."

I mean it's a great signing, but as he says he still has people to prove wrong that he might be over the hill. The Championship is one step down from the Premiership but in my eyes it's one of the most equal, most competitive leagues in the whole World. Every team in that division is really equal in terms of quality and it's hard to call matches and bet on who will win. He might struggle down there for goals. I hope he doesn't because like I said after letting Chopra go Cardiff need goals for next season.

I still think Cardiff need someone younger and fresher (or just an alternative,) but until I see crap results, I'll give Fowler the benefit of the doubt.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
CHINA SKIPPER ON BLUES HITLIST

Birmingham have joined Newcastle in the race to sign China captain Zheng Zhi from Shandong Luneng. Zheng spent four months on loan at Charlton last season, making 12 appearances and scoring against the Magpies. City's interest in the 26-year-old player comes only a week after Hong Kong businessman Carson Yeung became the club's leading shareholder. And Yeung has made it clear he sees the Far East as a lucrative market for Blues to exploit during the coming months.

It would help to pursue those aims if Birmingham had representatives from that region in their squad. Yeung, who may attempt to take complete control of Blues in the new year, said: "We've started observing local players. We hope to have some new developments in three months. "We all know the Premier League in England is very popular. I believe it will get even more popular in China. The market is bigger."

Birmingham boss Steve Bruce is expected to step up his attempts to complete the signing of the Tottenham duo, striker Mido and midfielder Hossam Ghaly, for a joint fee of around £9million when the club return from their pre-season tour of Germany.

Blues triumphed 5-2 against non-leaguers FC Schweinfurt on Monday night with summer signing Olivier Kapo in impressive form.

I think the two singings of Mido and Ghaly will be pretty shrewd. They both have considerable talent and will give them that 'little bit else' for the up coming season. Kapo is also a decent player, coming from Juventus in Italy. He made his name in France, switched to Juventus but couldn't establish a first team place week in week out. Of course that won't be the same at The Blues.

As for the Chinese captain Zheng Zhi, I don't know much about the lad or his talent. Can any people from the Far East comment on how good this player is. I didn't see much of Chartlon last season, so unfortunately missed his 12 appearances for The Addicks. Will this be a good signing for Birmingham or Newcastle?

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   
First off before I post this quote about Manchester City I have to point out that I don't agree with what could happen there. Now that Thai business man has taken over, he's forcing Sven to buy Thai players just because he originated from there, Sven should walk from the club in my honest opinion. A manager should have full control of the tactics, formations, and who HE choses to bring to the club in order for the club to reach its full potential.

Not meaning to be rude to Thai footballers, but from what I've seen they aren't European quality, let alone Premiership quality. Japanese or South Korean...now that's a different story! But Thai players? I'm struggling to think of a famous name. In fact I can think of none. If I was a Manchester City fan, I'd be wanting the team to be strengthened next season as past seasons have been pretty 'up and down.' I just can't see how bringing in unknown Thai players is going to help their cause. Correct me if I'm wrong, please do.

Anyway here's the quote I found:

Manchester City have reportedly agreed a £10million fee for Mexico striker Nery Castillo. But new owner Thaksin Shinawatra has told manager Sven-Goran Eriksson he must also look to Thailand for new signings. The Daily Mirror claims City have agreed a deal with Olympiakos for Castillo, who impressed during the recent Copa America, after a two-man delegation flew to Athens. The 23-year-old is apparently keen to hold out for a bigger move and his agents are said to have contacted Chelsea and Real Madrid in recent days.

However Eriksson is hoping to convince Castillo that a move to Eastlands is the right one for him to make at this stage of his career. Should he get the Mexican on board, Eriksson may then have to turn his attention to recruiting from the homeland of his club owner. Former Thai Prime Minister Shinawatra completed the purchase of 75% of the club's shares on Monday to take total control.

And his lawyer Noppadol Pattama revealed: "The next step is to recruit or to buy new players from several national teams such as Italy, Sweden, Brazil and Thailand. "We expect to select at least two Thai players from our national team to join Manchester City."

Now as I've said above, when your board start intefering, you need to get the hell out of there. The same was said about Chelsea and Abramovich forcing Jose to buy Shevchenko just because he was his friend! That move turned out well didn't it? What a complete waste of 30 million. Now AC Milan are complaining and won't buy him back for even half of that.

The Castillo transfer will be very decent. I think he's scored 5 goals in 10 appearances for Mexico and looks like a very good up and coming player.

But why are the board forcing Sven to pick 2 Thai players from the National Team? I know it's too try and raise the game in Thailand...but will Sven be forced into picking them in the match day squads? It has to stop somewhere or as I've said, Sven should walk. Will he have to pick them in matches so 2 out of 11 are 2 unknown players from Thailand!? How is that going to help them compete in the Premiership next season?

I just don't understand.

It's all well and good getting a billionaire chairman in charge of your club splashing the cash, but when he starts to really 'take over' the club, that's not the best of news. Especially when his aim is to bring 2 or more unknown Thai players to your club.

[edit on 24-7-2007 by Arawn]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
TEVEZ AGENT TAKES HAMMERS TO COURT

And so the drama continues folks. Will he or won't he leave and join Man UTD? I can see if happening of course, but Tevez and Heinze both involved in possible transfer disputes, it's going to be quite a nasty end to the transfer market for Manchester United. Man UTD might take legal action against Liverpool for a possible approach on Gabriel Heinze that was illegal - 'behind their backs,' and now Tevez the man they have been after for quite some time...seems also a messy deal.

Here's an update just recently. It's definitely going to the High Court:

Carlos Tevez's representative Kia Joorabchian is taking his fight with West Ham to the High Court. A writ was served this afternoon on the club's solicitors by lawyers acting on behalf of Joorabchian's companies MSI and Just Sports Inc. Joorabchian has called for the court to intervene to enable Argentinian striker Tevez, 23, to play for Manchester United.

Joorabchian has decided to take this course of action despite FIFA recommending the dispute be settled by the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Solicitor Graham Shear of lawyers Teacher Stern Selby said in a statement: "I can confirm the companies (MSI and Just Sports Inc) have today begun High Court proceedings against West Ham.

"This afternoon a High Court writ was served on the football club's solicitors. "The companies seek the court's intervention to compel West Ham to release the registration of Carlos Tevez in accordance with contracts entered into between the parties. "We are asking the court to intervene so that Carlos Tevez can be registered to play with Manchester United as soon as possible."

Shear added: "We will be making no further statement at this time."

Tevez is registered as West Ham's player but Joorabchian claims he owns the player's economic rights and is therefore entitled to any transfer fee, which is at odds with the Premier League's stance. The League want West Ham to receive any fee for Tevez.

When the independent inquiry reached their verdict on Tevez three games before the end of the season, the league offered West Ham three alternatives - amending the third party agreement, letting the player leave with immediate effect or unilaterally ripping up the third party agreement. West Ham chose the latter option which effectively allowed Tevez to play the remainder of campaign but also came with a stern warning from the league. The Hammers were told their 'ownership' of Tevez would be monitored and under no circumstances would the Hammers be allowed to extricate themselves from the situation once the season reached the conclusion.

Cheif executive Richard Scudamore said: "The options were sound. They chose the option they chose. "It has made life difficult for them, and, in a way, us, by choosing the option they did. "But that is the option they chose. They could have gone a different way. "For eight months now, we have been trying to resolve this issue as well as keeping the rule book intact. It is quite difficult."

Seems a bloody mess in all honesty. I thought it was weird last season when West Ham managed to pull off the shock double of Tevez and Macherano. Now you can see the transfer was all made businesslike and not for footballing reasons. Hence why the saga is still being continued to this day.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 04:53 AM
link   
UPDATE ON THE MAN CITY THAI TRIALISTS

New Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra has invited three players from the Thailand national team over to the Premier League club for a trial.

Shinwatra told the Football Association of Thailand (FAT) that he wanted to give a number of players from his homeland a chance to prove themselves at the club and consequently the FAT recommended teenage striker Teerasil Daengda, Suree Sukha and Kiatprawut Saiwaeo.

Thailand recently shone in the AFC Asian Cup - a tournament which they are co-hosts of - and were only denied a place in the quarter-finals when they lost to Australia in their final group game. Teerasil did not feature in any of the games in the competition but is regarded as one of the brightest prospects in the country. But 21-year-old centre-back Kiatprawut came to prominence with a superb display in Thailand's 2-0 win over Oman in their Group A AFC Asian Cup game while full-back Suree also put in a number of eye-catching displays in the competition.

FAT president Worawi Makudi told The Nation: "I believed our football standard and player ability are as good as other countries. The only difference is that the players have not had the opportunity as many others. "I think the three would fare well in the trial. They are still young and have a strong desire to play in the Premier League."

If they are good enough and the country over all has been over looked then fair play - give them a chance as they are young. But fans of Man CITY better have a quick look at what is / has happened at Hearts in Scotland. The chairman takes over...but literally takes over too, with transfers and general interfering in management issues. As I've said above, it doesn't look too good. Sven is and has his eye on a few players which I'm sure he will get, but when your chairman steps in to force you to take players on trial, that's a different story.

Who will have the last word whether these Thai trialists 'make it?' If it isn't Sven, he should really consider what impact he can make at Man City with an interfering chairman.

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Alright season start tommorrow whom are you picking to win this weekend?

Here are mine

Saturday

Sunderland vs Tottenham Spurs 0-2
Derby County vs Portsmouth Pompey 0-2
West Ham vs Manchester City Hammers 1-0
Middlesbrough vs Blackburn Rovers 0-1
Bolton vs Newcastle Toon 0-1
Everton vs Wigan Athletic Everton 0-1
Aston Villa vs Liverpool Reds 0-2

Sunday
Arsenal vs Fulham Fulham 0-1
Chelsea vs Birmingham Tie 1-1
Manchester United vs Reading Red Devils 1-0

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
Alright season start tommorrow whom are you picking to win this weekend?

Here are mine

Saturday

Sunderland vs Tottenham Spurs 0-2
Derby County vs Portsmouth Pompey 0-2
West Ham vs Manchester City Hammers 1-0
Middlesbrough vs Blackburn Rovers 0-1
Bolton vs Newcastle Toon 0-1
Everton vs Wigan Athletic Everton 0-1
Aston Villa vs Liverpool Reds 0-2

Sunday
Arsenal vs Fulham Fulham 0-1
Chelsea vs Birmingham Tie 1-1
Manchester United vs Reading Red Devils 1-0

Dude you're worse than Lawro!

And that's saying something! (BBC pundit - news.bbc.co.uk... )

[edit on 12/8/07 by ChiKeyMonKey]

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Yeah wasnt really a good pick week for me but at least Liverpool and Newcastle won. I never pick Sunderland lol, Spurs lost that should make you happy. I wouldnt have picked Newcastle to score 3 much less 3 in the first half.

[edit on 8/12/2007 by DarkStormCrow]

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I'm a spurs fan and I wasn't happy with Saturday's result ;( I'm confident that we'll still come top5 this season though!

Man Utd definitely could have done better in their opening game, but it's sad that Rooney is injured (for England's sake).

I loved the Arsenal Fulham game, Warner did extremely well considering he was a last-minute replacement. It's a shame Fulham couldn't bring it to a 2-2 draw though.

Stevie G's freekick for Liverpool was top-notch!

new topics

top topics

join