It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somebody please beat Survivor Man with a stick

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I just watched an episode where he was in the cypress swamp and im mad at him.
He killed a Green Turtle and a big Diamond back rattler.
And a lot of the stuff he does on the show is obviously fake.

This guy is a joke.

[edit on 22-7-2007 by earth2]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Bear Grylls on Man vs. Wild is much better. He is full of information about all kinds of different things you'd never think of. Half of the things Bear does, i'm smart enough to know I shouldn't try and do. But if i'm ever in a life and death survival situation, it's good to know how to find my way out, how to keep myself busy and productive, and how to use my environment to my advantage.

Edn

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
And a lot of the stuff he does on the show is obviously fake.

This guy is a joke.

[edit on 22-7-2007 by earth2]
Obviously fake how? care to back it up with some examples. And why are you mad at him for killing a turtle and a snake?

Also is this S01E04 Georgian swamp?

Bear Grylls on Man vs. Wild is much better. He is full of information about all kinds of different things you'd never think of.

I'd rather not jump into a river and die of hypothermia thank you. If anyone is a joke its this guy, I sat in disbelief at the stunts he was pulling, and to think they were calling it a survival show.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Somebody please beat Survivor Man with a stick

I will, plus when are any of us going to be stupid enough to get in these situations?

The one I hated the most was when he was in africa and drank the water from elephant poo poo by squeezing into his mouth, not much makes me sick but that one almost made me wanna hurl,

Now when the heck am i gonna need to do that? Not unless I get real thirsty at the zoo,
Not in this life time.

I would like to see a show based on more likely situations in which where we might need to know how to survive, like floods, tornados, china invading, that sorta thing.

[edit on 22-7-2007 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Seriously, all of these shows have NO application to real life. A show about how to have good people skills, how to get a good job, etc. would be much more helpful but it would be so boring no one would watch it.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Seriously, all of these shows have NO application to real life. A show about how to have good people skills, how to get a good job, etc. would be much more helpful but it would be so boring no one would watch it.

Well, you are wrong there.

I have taken survival training since I was a kid. I did it in boy scouts, my father is an ex-navy seal. I can build a shelter out of nothing but sticks on the ground and some pine needles so warm you would think you were in your cozy bed in the dead of winter.

It all depends on situation. There are so many places on this planet that could kill you just by you walking in it. Animals, plants, nature as a whole is untamed and dangerous. Your cappuccino machine won't save you from being the only survivor of a plane crash high in the mountains.

Whether you think these shows are fake or not, the fact is that what they show are real survival technics, and there have been shows where the host has actually called it due to the real danger of dying in an area he is surviving in. I haven't seen more than one episode of man vs. wild, but what I have seen of him is slightly amped up for show purposes, but still realistic.

You say you will never use any of this stuff? Most likely 85% of the populace never will, however, for those few who get lost in the mountains hiking, a car breaks down in the nevada desert, or any other of a million possible scenarios, it WILL matter to them.

Have some respect please for what they are trying to do. They are after all putting their lives at risk with every show. Survivor man has no crew but himself, setting up his own cameras, and making his own shots. Man vs. wild seems as if he has someone along with him, so he might have an out if something goes wrong.

These two men have an extensive background in outdoor survivalist activities. They should be respected, whether you or your SUV like it or not.

King

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Man vs. wild seems as if he has someone along with him, so he might have an out if something goes wrong.

yes, I noticed that, I like the other guy better.

Cug

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kingalbrect79
Man vs. wild seems as if he has someone along with him, so he might have an out if something goes wrong.

Born Survivor is the BBC version of Man vs. Wild.

But an adviser to Born Survivor has disclosed that at one location where the adventurer claimed to be a “real life Robin-son Crusoe” trapped on “a desert island”, he was actually on an outlying part of the Hawaiian archipelago and spent nights at a motel.

On another occasion in California’s Sierra Nevada mountains where he was filmed biting off the head of a snake for breakfast and struggling for survival “with just a water bottle, a cup and a flint for making fire”, he actually slept some nights with the crew in a lodge fitted with television and internet access. The Pines Resort at Bass Lake is advertised as “a cosy getaway for families” with blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

more....
Source: TV 'survival king' stayed in hotels

The survivor guy is really on his own, that's one reason he is a ton more conservative than Bear.

But in the end it's TV and TV is not real in any shape or form.

top topics

join