It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL to Require Photographers to Wear Advertising Vests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
We all know that it's all about money, but maybe this is going a little too far. Professional photographers who work NFL games will be required to wear vests that advertise Canon and Reebok.

Most photographers responding on a sports photograhpers' website weren't very happy about, but acknowledged that for every photographer who refused to be so prostituted, there are a few who would do it in a heartbeat.

National Football League rules for the upcoming season require press photographers to wear red vests that sport Canon and Reebok logos, and some shooters are objecting.

"It totally goes against our Code of Ethics to force photographers to advertise as if they were some sort of Nascar vehicle," John Long, chairman of NPPA's Ethics and Standards Committee, said in an article on the organization's Web site. The article also quoted Pete Cross, photography managing editor for The Palm Beach Post in Florida, as saying photographers wore Tostitos-branded vests inside-out in protest this year at the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

news.com.com

[edit on 2007/7/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Your first sentence was so true.
Its a business, if it were your business wouldnt you try to expand and make more money?
I dont see a problem with it personally, why not?
Anything to keep the NFL prosperous is my stance, I love football.

Hey and if the crybaby photographers dont like it im sure there are many people that would take there place.

[edit on 22-7-2007 by earth2]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
I dont see a problem with it personally, why not?

For the photographers, it's an ethical issue and I think that the NFL should honor the ethical standards of those professionals associations involved in the sport.

Neither Canon nor Addidas need this advantage, as there are plenty of places to put advertising other than on photographers who are not being sponsored by either company.

I think the article does a good job of expressing the concerns of the photographers and in this case, I agree with them.

[edit on 2007/7/22 by GradyPhilpott]

join