It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's something really bright light over Lake Ontario tonight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I'm not sure what it was but it was really bright, and blinked. There was a fainter one just east of it, but very faint. I saw another similar looking sparkling object just underneath the moon, that was shining over the city. Clear night, hardly any clouds.
Too me, it looked brighter and bigger then a star, but wouldn't move, or may have slightly, but really shone even brighter at one point for a few seconds. It looked like it hovered over the lake at a high distance. Can anyone else see this sparkling light over lake ontario, in the southern central ontario region tonight?

I had no digital camera on me, but If i see it tommorow night, ill take a photo of it.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Keep us updated Puhatek...I'd call the local law enforcement and see if anyone else reported seeing something similar.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Yes there is a very bright star over Lake Ontario visible from Scarborough looking South... I see it fairly often... the one below it does twinkle and looks sorta red/orange/yellow at times depending on air quality. I'm not into astronomy but you might try getting a hold of the guys up at the observatory in Richmond Hill - they could tell you what exactly name-wise we are seeing.

I've seen both before on many nights. With my crappy old Tesco telescope they look slightly larger. You could phone the Metros... but you may find they aren't exactly interested in the paper work involved in documenting non-unusual phenomenon. Take a day or two and watch them they aren't really going to change that much.

Also have you noticed the number of flights that come from the South with the honkin bright landing lights on? Some go into CFB Downsview and some arc Eastward to I'm guessing Trenton or maybe Bagotville or Montreal.

If you are up late there a good ISS sighting opportunity Sun Jul 22/03:37 AM 58 degrees above NNE 26 degrees above NE - it will last about a minute. You can't miss it and will be about half as bright as the big star you mention and will be booking at 17500MPH 200 or so miles up.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Yeah, I have noticed a lot more night air traffic coming from the south. Im in etobicoke, 20 min to drive to pearson, and Ive noticed some wierd lights really high above pearson too, but they may also be stars. Hoepfully tommorow, ill be able to grab the digi, and snap something unusual.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
My guess it's Jupiter and star Antares, see here.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I was by the lake last night. A LOT of air traffic, I think because I was near the pickering power plant. I saw what I thought was an oddly hovering ship, I suspect it was a helicopter, it was no plane because it didn't have the red flashers.

While I'm a hardcore believe in U.F.O.s, I'm just stating that theres many aircraft flying around the powerplant. But interesting. I always love to hear about local stuff. As soon as i get my infra-red cam i'm doing some studys of southern-ontario skies.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
There were lots of lights over Lake Ontario last night... the big star and his little twinkly red buddy, oh yeah, including a little heat lightning as one looked across the lake from Scarborough. Just a few flashes. There were two ISS fly-overs and a couple of small meteorites, lotsa planes. Busy airspace.

Try and get some pics of stuff that hovers... it takes patience. I'd suggest Pickering 5 as a centre or focal point, maybe on the transmission wire side. There isn't much in the way of high ground... a vessel on the lake might be fun. Don't break any laws or trespass or litter.

If you are out tonight in that neck of the woods there's two premo ISS fly-overs, one 6 minutes long and another 3 minutes, ISS Sat Aug 04/09:44 PM 87 degrees inclination and 10 degrees above WSW 10 degrees above ENE and ISS Sat Aug 04/11:20 PM 21 degrees inclination 11 degrees above WNW 16 above NNE. Last nights pass was spectacular and started a bright blue and faded to red and "winked out" about 2/3 of the way to the horizon as it lost the setting sun's light. Most times it can be seen all the way to the horizon.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Welcome to Hamilton -- UFO capital of Ontario.

Steeltown claimed provincial bragging rights for 2006 with 13 sightings of strange goings-on in the sky. Bright lights hovering above houses on Parkdale Avenue, objects soaring fast and furious through the air, delta-shaped craft where none should be.

That lands us at No. 7 on the annual list issued by the Canadian UFO Survey. "Hamilton will have typically a half dozen to a dozen (sightings)," says Manitoba-based UFO researcher Chris Rutkowski, one of the people who compiled the annual report.

www.thespec.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Just walked my mother out to the car...she looked up to the south and commented how bright Jupiter was tonight. Mom knows...now we know too.

There's a UFO story about Pickering Nuclear that goes back a few years..I'll try and find an electronic version and post it, just for interest's sake.

Also, we have regular helicopter traffic out here...including Durham's finest doing patrol, and air ambulance from the local hospital...just so's ya know.

[edit on 4-8-2007 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
yeah i'm kickin myself for not having my telescope handy tonight. I don't know what planet it is, but its HUGE tonight. Or so it seems. Seems closer then usual.

I hate that durham helicopter.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Seems im a few months late, but for the past few months. Ive seen that there must be some planes that patrol the city skies, and do circles over etobicoke, and parts of york region. With red lights that blink. Start flying from the south and do a large turn over etobicoke to york.

Where i live in the city, its quite dark and there isn't to much light pollution. This one time at about 4-5am I did see something glide slowly across a small section of the sky underneath the full moon. But it got bright near the middle of its short path then dissapeared. A split second later, i see something shooting by extrememly quicky and dissapearing. It wasn't anything ive ever seen before, and blew my mind.

Sometimes looking at pearson airport general location I see faint lights floating above it, while planes are taking off and flying over my neighboorhood.

Ive heard, and have seen an area in pearson that looks like a hidden underground entrance to something. But the view is blocked from the highway because it curves into "an entrance".

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by puhatek

It's no star... I can assure you of that. It has been residing in the tri-state area for approximately 12 years now. Some nights, it is not there at all. Some nights (most) it is to the south. But sometimes, it is in an entirely different direction. It may even more or disappear completely while you are watching on a clear night. Think what you will, but whatever it is, it has a message for us. Next time you see it, ask it to show you that it hears you. Ask it to move. It will.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
hello, my grandmother told me a week ago she was seeing this bright almost blue lights from her apartment on the mountain( in hamilton ontario) at first i doubted her but then her neighbor woke up the next night and saw the same thing...the two were scared but have tried to video tape the mysterious lights ever since. she wants me to help her get it on film but its hard because they come randomly. if anyone else has seen this recently please help me out here.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I watched the sky south of Toronto over Lake Ontario at 3 to 3:30 this morning, Aug 1. It wasn't lightning, planes or fireworks and dipped behind a bank of clouds. The lights were brighter and glowing as "whatever it was" hovered near the city.

new topics

top topics

join