It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The French Will Never Forget

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
All French people do not hate the United States. There are still some that are grateful for the U.S.'s help and the sacrifices of Americans during WWI and W.W.II. There is an image on the link below with their message they spelled out using 2500 volunteers.

The French Will Never Forget

In the spirit of its mission statement, “The French Will Never Forget” (www.thefrenchwillneverforget.com), organized an extraordinary gathering of approximately 2500 people in Omaha Beach, Normandy for July 4 th 2007. The crowd formed on the sand the letters of the phrase: “FRANCE WILL NEVER FORGET”, aimed at honoring the fallen American heroes who sacrificed their lives to liberate France at the end of WW II.

The United States Ambassador to France, H.E Craig R. Stapleton and his spouse attended the event along with several American and French personalities. They all joined the crowd on the beach and actually helped form with many other people the letter F of FRANCE.

“Our goal is, once again, to demonstrate the deep respect and gratitude of the people of France, for their recovered freedom thanks to America’s extreme sacrifices during the Second World War and which no one can, or will ever forget.” declared the co-founders of the organization.

I figured I'd post this because all you ever hear about in the media is how the French hate the US.

[edit on 21/7/07 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I wonder if they are still selling Freedom Fries in the capitol buildings?

"Going to war without France is like going duck hunting without your accordion."

---Donald Rumsfeld, U.S. Secretary of Defense

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this, now I wish slightly less than I used to that the government would dismantle the Statue of Liberty and ship it back to France with detailed instructions on where they can stick it.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
While I am sure that the French people havent forgotten its been pretty obvious that since August 25 1944 the French Government has.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I really abhored the anti-France movement, so ridiculous. Like their military could helped with the mess in Iraq, anyhow. I like how there government made their own decision on it, probably based on intel that said the war would be a quagmire and a resource drain. They are a sovereign country last time I checked.

I love the fact that 2500 of their citizens would show up to show their appreciation to America for freeing their country from Nazi tyranny. It was a noble act on America's part. They gave us soufflé and creme brulee. I think we are even.

BTW, I think Sarkozy is awesome. Good choice, France.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
It wasn't only America that freed France from the Nazis. What about all the other countries that helped remove the Nazis from Europe?

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by frailty
I really abhored the anti-France movement, so ridiculous. Like their military could helped with the mess in Iraq, anyhow. I like how there government made their own decision on it, probably based on intel that said the war would be a quagmire and a resource drain. They are a sovereign country last time I checked.

I love the fact that 2500 of their citizens would show up to show their appreciation to America for freeing their country from Nazi tyranny. It was a noble act on America's part. They gave us soufflé and creme brulee. I think we are even.

BTW, I think Sarkozy is awesome. Good choice, France.

America didnt Free France from the Nazi's
They helped the UK do it.
Then again considering how the French chickened out, rolled over on their backs and surrendered Paris, they would have sucked up to anyone helping them out.

By the way. It was no 'Noble act'on the part of the US for entering the war, is was purely financial.

A 'Noble Act' would have been declaring war against Germany at the same time as the UK did, thereby probably helping to save over 6 million Jews, millions upon millions of Russian lives and the near destruction of over 2000 years of History and archaeology in and around London and the UK. Not to mention saving the UK Billions of pounds over the years, pating out to rebuild Germany and paying the US back for the armaments we bought. Germany never paid us back for our losses.

Noble ? my ar*e !!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Nice, Chorlton, nice

I can see where this thread is going.

I can't believe that the French felt they needed to do this though. Seriously. Their own resistance and the Free French Force had a big part to play in their own liberation.

I assume this is a move from Sarkhozy to show he is "pro-Anglo..."

EDIT: It seems wholly "un-French" to do something like this as well. Very much a "show for Americans", I think.

[edit on 22/7/07 by stumason]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Spot on frailty,

Not a one line post.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Im not going to lie i hate the french government they are the dreg's in the bottom of your beer glass.

If you need a reason to hate the french government i will give you a few.

1) The french government did not want to go to war with the U.K and U.S.A to Iraq not only due to the fact they could not afford it. But due to the fact they supplied Iraq with most of its N.B.C protection.

2) The french government did not want to go to war with the U.K and U.S.A due to the fact they were making terrible profit's with there oil for food program.

My personal opinion is that france is one giant world leach the french would rather role over in submission than protect there own country.. You know what i am saying.

The above is my personal opinion and i am allowed it.

Regard's
Lee

[edit on 22-7-2007 by h3akalee]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Why don't they show it by being polite when we visit there country? My experience is not a positive one. When I visited I happened to get lost and was looking for my hotel, I happen to over hear two people speaking English so I thought I would ask them for help. There response was "no English" and then turned and ignored me!

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by xyankee
Why don't they show it by being polite when we visit there country? My experience is not a positive one. When I visited I happened to get lost and was looking for my hotel, I happen to over hear two people speaking English so I thought I would ask them for help. There response was "no English" and then turned and ignored me!

Did you even say "excuse me" in French? Or try to speak some French?

I find that if you at least try, they will talk back to you in English. But the point is to TRY. They get miffed because people come to their country and don't speak a word.

We get miffed for the same reason. Imagine if a Pakistani came up to you in London or Birmingham and spoke in his native tongue asking for directions. You wouldn't bother, would you?

I had a young Polish lad ask for directions a few months ago (I live In Reading, lots of Poles) and he could barely speak English, but he tried.

In the end, I got tired of his broken English and inability to understand me, I asked if he spoke German. He did, much better than English, so I helped him out.

Had he wandered up and spoke to me in Polish from the off, I would have ignored him.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Did you even say "excuse me" in French? Or try to speak some French?

We get miffed for the same reason. Imagine if a Pakistani came up to you in London or Birmingham and spoke in his native tongue asking for directions. You wouldn't bother, would you?

Bravo, I agree. Respect for anothers country, culture, and language will get you far in almost any country you visit.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee
My personal opinion is that the france is one giant world leach the french would rather role over in submission than protect there own country.. You know what i am saying.

The above is my personal opinion and i am allowed it.

Regard's
Lee

Meow.....

Did someone fart on your baguet or something?

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Actually had the US not entered into the European theater War when they did then Not only France but the UK as well as a few other nations could very well have been hearing the Marching Gooseteps up and down their lanes as well. Carefull folks you might hate our Capitalist Pig society now(I kinda do as well) but what the US did for the UK as well as France before entering world war II was no slouch either. Where do you think most of those shinny war machines and all those war supplies came from?
Sure it took us all combined too do it but dont sell the past good deeds the US did short.
Geez most of us US citizens after all were once immigrants from your lands so why the hate?

[edit on 22-7-2007 by VType]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The French dident even want to liberate their own country, my grandpa was a US Army staff sergeant in WW2 and and he says that whenever they ran into the "Free French" that they were more interested in looting their own countrymen then actually fighting the Germans. I have actually read reports of French soldiers sitting around looting and having picnics as US, British, Canadian, etc soldiers were fighting the Germans a mile or so down the road.

I must give them credit though, they (and the Portuguese) at least had the balls to fight for their empire unlike the British and most other colonial powers including my own country the USA and technically they did win in Algeria but DeGaulle pulled out.

Based on their performances in WW2, Algeria, Vietnam/French Indochina, etc I can say that the only French units I would be willing to fight alongside would be the French Foreign Legion and the Berets Rogues - French Army paratroopers.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by VTypeGeez most of us US citizens after all were once immigrants from your lands so why the hate?

[edit on 22-7-2007 by VType]

There is no hate at all.
I just took umbrage at the 'Noble Act' BS.
There was NO 'Noble Act' at all. It was in Americas self interest, and for Financial reason that it joined the war, there were no altruistic 'Noble Acts'

As I stated, a true 'Noble Act' would have been for the US to have declared war against Germany at the same time the UK did, thereby saving many millions of lives and the archaeological and historical destructon of not only the UK but of Europe (except France that is, who, like always, chickened out). They didnt because it was not in their financial and polictical interest to do so. It became so later, when, by the way Germany had already decided it wouldnt, and couldnt invade the UK.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Entering WWII may have been in our self interest, but for self-preservation not financial reasons. I don't think Germany and Japan would have stopped after conquering all of Eurasia.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Entering WWII may have been in our self interest, but for self-preservation not financial reasons. I don't think Germany and Japan would have stopped after conquering all of Eurasia.

Japan couldnt conquer much more of Asia than it already had, they didnt have the manpower.

And Germany would never had taken the UK, there are various reasons but Air superiority by the UK would have been one of the major reasons.

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

There is no way they could have successfully conquered the US and Russia. Even the Japanese were afraid to invade us because they knew that "a rifle would be behind every blade of grass".

I have no doubt that they would have attempted an invasion given the chance but they would not have been able to take the whole country and keep it under control.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join