It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Offers ISS Virtual Tour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The ISS, humanities only permanent space base and one of the more expensive endeavor's
NASA has ever joined in on, is now accessible to the everyday person.

NASA has created a 360ยบ tour of the entire ISS, plus some modules not yet added to
it that will be starting this fall.

NASA
ISS Virtual Tour

This is a pretty cool capability, since the only time we ever see the inside of the ISS
is through the few short news clips of it.

I've only looked at some of them, but this is definitely a cool and educational tool.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Very interesting. Thanks.

It's interesting to see how much space they have to live there, but I wish they also labeled the various parts of each module, such as the sleeping stations, the eating stations, the toilet facilities, the recreation/entertainment areas, different work stations, etc. I would like to know how they live day-to-day within their home in space.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
such as the sleeping stations,

There is'nt actually any specified place that they sleep, they just choose somewhere and
tie down there sleeping thing to the closest port and go to sleep wherever they are.

the eating stations,

From my understanding the eating situation is similar to the sleeping arrangement,
that is you eat wherever you want, though I suppose most people would probably eat
near the food storage.

the toilet facilities,

That one I'm curious about as well, though I have a feeling you probably can see it,
but it blends in with everything.

the recreation/entertainment areas,

There is'nt one, when they have no work to do they entertain themselves, be that through
reading, playing 0g catch or 'swimming' around eat/drinking the orange juice spheres.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Hmmm. Actually there are sleep stations, 2 "cabins" or "personal sleep stations" in Zvezda and the third astro/cosmo can "tie-off" wherever the Increment Commander says is "cool"... third person out often sleeps in the Destiny module.

Slumber linkage, here, and a CSA PDF here. Noise is a very real problem and some astro/comos have been documented with hearing loss after an ISS "stay", a NewSpaceScientist link here. Fans and pumps are the two "biggies".

The Russky "head" is similar to the one in Shuttle and a YouTube can be seen here. Remember the complaints about "$2000.00 toilet seats"? Well a recent contract for the second "head" has been let to the Russians (RSC Energia) and the current price for "a seat on throne" is $19,000,000.00... a link to a CBC article on the contract, here.

Vittles are prepped and eaten almost as "sport" and there have been some minor burns but nothing of any serious nature. A NASA PDF link, here, and Japanese-style take-out food is on the way, courtesy of JAXA, a link. But what about Muslim's you ask? Like for our upcoming Malaysian Ruble-generating "space participant" - no problemo, a link, here. ISS's galley is in Zvezda too and has a fridge and and a freezer. The "big treat" is the Russian "space-candy" which are by all accounts are ambrosia-dreamy... I have yet to find out why.

For those with an interest NASA has a whole section on space-vittles, here. There are some videos on that page which expand on the "fun and sport" of out-of-this-world munching-out and strapping on the orbital feedbag.

Bon apetite, and in lieu of a "loo" comment and have a pleasant sleep,

Vic

[edit on 21-7-2007 by V Kaminski]

top topics

join