It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I'm Doubting Life After Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Hey,

Been thinking about this a lot lately and i've decided why I really just can't believe in life after death. Basically I was thinking about people who lose someone they love more than life itself and vice versa. If I had a wife and loved her more than anything then if i died i'd do everything and not stop until i managed to reach out to that person and tell her everythings ok, how can the soul be happy knowing your most loved one is feeling terrible constantly and you not being able to do anything about it. That to me is why I doubt anything is out there, although i'd love it to be, I just think it's all pretty sh*tty to be honest. Anyone care to calm my concerns?

Edn

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
What do you want people to say? That your just being silly and there is life after death? They would be lieing if they said so, there not enough proof for or against the possibility of life/rebirth/ascension after death only theory's.

The fact that your questioning it is a good thing but don't let anyone here make your mind up for you, you need to do that yourself.

You can question what happens and theorize about what happens but in the end your not going to get an answer at least not one with any evidence backing it so why worry about it, if you die and there is life after death well lucky you isn't that just great, then you can find your answer. If theres no life after death and the end is the end it wont matter because you wont exist anyway.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
What do you want people to say? That your just being silly and there is life after death?

First of all, How dare WE suppose these feelings for another person. Here comes a member of ATS and is asking about certain things that are important to that person, and you jump right on the wagon with a comment like that.

This person is questioning alot of things in life and we call his questionings 'silly'?

Does Edn have any valid proof to offer supporting 'life after death'? NO? then I would suggest that we refrain from being judgemental in our postings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edn, I'm not jousting you. I appologize for sounding as though I was above anyone. Appologies.

[edit on 20-7-2007 by TheDuckster]

Edn

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Maybe not the best word to use sorry if it is offensive in anyway mrbocci, what I mean by the first sentence is I hope your not here simply to have someone tell you everythings ok, and to tell you exactly what you want to hear, i've seen a few people over the years not just about god, etc. but about other things where they ask your opinion but they really want you to tell them what they want to believe but are questioning.

Every post in this topic will have a different opinion, but in the end its there personal belief and only you can really go and find the answer for yourself. Not to say that others options are useless they can open doors you might not have though of, but don't take peoples word for anything.

Me personally I believe its is a possibility there is something after our body's die, to me our body is simply a tool to interact with this world and our brain a vestal for our mind, what happens to our mind (or sole if you will) when our body fails us i don't know, but the possibility's there.

[edit on 20-7-2007 by Edn]

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I don't know how calming I'll be ...

I don't believe there is an afterlife. I don't want to believe in one either, so I'm not going out trying on religions anymore.

I'm comfortable with the idea that there is no "forever." Life is exhausting enough as it is, I don't want to go on and on and on and on and on and on repeating patterns, or sitting on a cloud, or drifting around the painted tree with Robin Williams or whatever.

I find the idea that there isn't an afterlife liberating and comforting. I can concentrate on my life now because as far as I'm concerned, this is all I get.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I can't calm your concerns, either... Sorry. It's something you will work out, though, I'm sure. I do believe in 'something' after this life, but it's not involved with religion and there aren't several places people can end up. I just believe that there's a spiritual realm because I believe there's more to us than the physical and people I know who have died (my mother in particular) have contacted me in several ways. That's what I believe.

Originally posted by mrbocci
how can the soul be happy knowing your most loved one is feeling terrible

In my belief system, the soul or spirit does not make judgments. So, even if their loved one was miserable, they wouldn't be "unhappy" or "happy", they would just love.

So, whether or not there's an afterlife, I honestly don't think it's anything to fear. And we don't even have to figure it out because we can't.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
Maybe not the best word to use sorry if it is offensive in anyway mrbocci, what I mean by the first sentence is I hope your not here simply to have someone tell you everythings ok,

No appologies needed. I asked that you forgive me first hand.

and to tell you exactly what you want to hear, i've seen a few people over the years not just about god, etc. but about other things where they ask your opinion but they really want you to tell them what they want to believe but are questioning.

There are many, on ATS and abroad, that are more than willing, to give you what is TRUTH. aLWAYS do your homework. ALWAYS check out both sides to the equation. Balance the facts. Balance your feelings. Life isn't a compostite of statistics and ethereal moments. I love what John Lennon said: "Life is what's happening to you, while you're making other plans."

Me personally I believe its is a possibility there is something after our body's die, to me our body is simply a tool to interact with this world and our brain a vestal for our mind, what happens to our mind (or sole if you will) when our body fails us i don't know, but the possibility's there.

If the word 'possible' IS possible, then there is no turning back from ideas that precedith from the mind to the mouth. Everything that we think 'may come to fruition'.

Many a scientist will entertain within his/her mind a single 'thought or belief' to allow unto the scientific minds, a premicess, a beginning point, to onset the 'notion of what is real or not.' From this point onward, therein lies the start of 'science'.

Belief precedes anything else.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Mr. Bocci,

I can't speak for everyone here, I just have my own thoughts to give you. When people give advice (including myself) we want to give you the best that we can give.

If you choose 'this or that', remember, that you will have to 'face-up'
to everything that life has to bring. Responsibilites. This is one of lifes' gifts or lifes' consequences.

I don't feign to know what you go through.

I'm here to listen...and help out the best way that I can.

[edit on 20-7-2007 by TheDuckster]

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Think I've read some near death experiences where people tried to talk to their loved ones, even yelling. Nobody could hear them.

Also, I've had friends tell me that if I tried to contact them while i was a spirit or ghost or something, it'd freak them out. I'm not going to bother them if that's the case.

If someone needs to let go and get on with life, then that may be the worst thing you could do to them also.

These sort of things may even be guarded against by spirit guides and guardians.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies chaps, perhaps 'calm my concerns' was the wrong phrase to you use, I was more interested in other members opinions, I just wondered cos I do find it quite depressing if you think that this is all we get, a f*cked up world to live in and that's it! Guess no one can say for sure just have to wait and see when i cark it!

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
To Mr. Bocci,
You'll find comfort in the gospels of the New Testament.

-The Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 5

3: Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4: Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

5: Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

6: Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they
shall be filled.

7: Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

8: Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

9: Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

10: Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11: Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12: Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Men that have known true grief, learn true empathy. Pain is necessary to build character and love. We cannot know joy without first knowing sadness. But, as the gospels have stated, mourners will be comforted, the meek shall inherit the Earth, and the pure will see God.

[edit on 7/21/2007 by TheB1ueSoldier]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Wow, thanks very much theb1uesoldier, some thought provoking points there! That has made me feel a bit better as it goes, whatever will be will be eh!

Cheers mate

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
No problem Mr. Bocci. Here at ATS you'll find help for your problems from all parts of the spectrum.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I think consciousness is a sign of there being life after physical death. I think that consciousness exists outside of our physical bodies, because not all matter contains a conscious mind. Near death experiences can be seen as evidence for this as well. How would people who have been clinically dead remember things that happened after they had died if their conscious mind died with them?

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrbocci
Been thinking about this a lot lately and i've decided why I really just can't believe in life after death.

This my be difficult for you to believe but there really is life after death...and I've been there. If you would like to read more please click the link in my signature.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Asuming there is life after death you won't care about your wife youll have no glands and therefore no emotions....

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ParasiteGods
Asuming there is life after death you won't care about your wife youll have no glands and therefore no emotions....

From my limited/extensive experience that is not true. My first thought was of my love for my family when I stood outside heaven. Glands have nothing to do with it my friend....

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
From my limited/extensive experience that is not true. My first thought was of my love for my family when I stood outside heaven. Glands have nothing to do with it my friend....

Glands may explain your Near Death Experience however. The pineal gland is thought to produce '___', a hallucinegetic, that research has been tying to near death experiences. It is thought that when a combination of factors, such as heart stopping, low oxygen levels in blood occur, that '___' is released. I will not make the claim that what you experienced wasn't real kinglizard, but there very well could be a scientific explanation for it.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I can only describe what I experienced, people will believe what they like....I'm ok with that....

new topics

top topics

join