It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avro Arrow Info

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
A supersonic aircraft developed in the 1950s (the AVRO Arrow) has a myth that lingers to this day. The legend is that although the government of the time cancelled the project and ordered all aircraft, models, plans, etc. to be destroyed, that one prototype flying version survived and was spirited out of the country to the US.

Anyone even heard of this aircraft or heard any recent rumors about it?

Here's some wikipedia info and there is lots available on google...

en.wikipedia.org...

AncientMariner

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Yup, that was the height of Canadian Aeronautics. It was canceled because of pressure from the States that saw it as a major competitor to their industry. And the Canadian gov't capitulated. :shk:

If you're into naval vessels as well, check out the Bra'dor. Another Canadian invention WAY ahead of its time, scrapped unneccissarily.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
My uncle knew a lot about the project, but alas...he's passed on now.

Anyway, he always suspected some sort of cover-up or conspiracy suppounding how the project was ended. It's certainly a very strange tale.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I've heard such rumors, but not from any one in Orenda Engines or AVRO. There are pictures of the RL-20(x)'s being cut up at Malton Airport... sad, very sad. I suspect that the rumours may have been wishful thinking. One thing that was "spirited-away" to the South was a large number of very, very talented people. Many Canadians and some Brits are all too familiar with the "Brain-Drain".

Cheers,

Vic

jra

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AncientMariner
A supersonic aircraft developed in the 1950s (the AVRO Arrow) has a myth that lingers to this day. The legend is that although the government of the time cancelled the project and ordered all aircraft, models, plans, etc. to be destroyed, that one prototype flying version survived and was spirited out of the country to the US.

I'm a big fan of the Avro Arrow (and of there other planes). But I believe that myth is nothing more than wishful thinking. I know the CBC tv movie used that for an ending. I guess to make it more of a bitter sweet ending rather then a depressing one.

It's really sad that killing the Arrow severely hurt the Canadian aerospace industry. But at least Jim Chamberlin and many others from Avro Canada went on to do some amazing things like, designing the Gemini capsule and the Lunar Lander.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I had the honour of being instructed by several tradesmen who worked for A.V.Roe up until it closed. There were many rumours and theories at the time. The deal with the US was for the Bomark missle and cheap Sabre jets. In return, Canada would destroy all trace of the Arrow. The story goes that the last Arrow was hidden in the hanger until the last possible moment. The chop crews were displaying the scrap outside so the US observers could watch the progress. When they finally ran out of room, they called the scrap trucks to start hauling. Then they pulled the old switcheroo, painting the first load up to match the registry number of the last jet. When the observers had gone for the evening, they arranged the parts on the tarmac and readied the Arrow for flight. In the wee hours of the morning, the last Arrow took flight. It was suposed to have landed at North Bay, and been hustled into one of the deep hangers cut into the Canadian sheild under the base. It was put into preservation with a complete set of plans for the aircraft and the Iroquois engine. Airforce legend says that it is still there, but will never see the light of day because our government can't admit that it pulled one over on the states.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Another Avro Nut here as well. You info is a lil sparce. Are you asking for people to add there own info as well and help dispell some myths? I have started a fair bit of research myself into the subject of the Arrow so if people have questions they should ask, like say what myths they have heard.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Some might find this interesting video from the time showing some RL's well you know... gettin' ready to be sold to a Hamilton scrap dealer for $4300 a pop.

From the depths of the CBC public archives CBC Radio Canada Television news video in wmv format - copy and paste url into Mediaplayer: Video clip 3:54

There's much more historic content at the CBC Archives homepage.

Cheers,

Vic

new topics

top topics

join