It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPhone a Trojan Horse For Government Surveillance?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm sure we can all agree that these might be the only type of effective cell phone. They probably didn't have any form of surveillance on these.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Averysmallfoxx
For Captain Jailew,
wow, first, it is a violation of every american citizen's rights. you think its ok because you dont see any harm in it. ok, well lets say everyone takes your standpoint, what next? my right to free speech? my right to the persuit of happinesse in however i deem fit so long as no one else suffers? you think allowing transgressions by an already overly manipulative goverment is ok? this isnt a debate about whether it has massive implications in the here and now, this is a debate about how much we will allow them to take from us as citizens. how much we will let them steal from our rights. they're our rights man, it doesnt matter if they have a reason to spy on joe but not jane, you shouldnt be spying period. if theres one thing i think our people need to realize its that if you give our administration and inch, they will take miles. just think about that.

Sorry for the late reply, my access to the internet has been limited recently. I think the core of the issue we're discussing is the common good versus the right to individual liberties. In an ideal world, in which we all have access to the truth I think the common good is a prevailing goal we should strive toward, even at the expense of individual freedoms. Society has already agreed upon certain laws and maxims which restrict personal freedom and rights - My "natural right" (meaning I have a right to it because I was born with the ability) to murder my neighbor is currently banned by the government. This is a good thing, even though it is a specific "right" that has been "taken" from me. But we have all agreed mass murder and rampage would be against the common good and so we have systems in place to prevent it from happening.

If government surveillance saves even 1 life wouldn't you gladly let them listen to your phone conversation?

they're our rights man, it doesnt matter if they have a reason to spy on joe but not jane, you shouldnt be spying period.

What if spying on Joe saved lives? Your familiy, friends, you...? Would it be justified then? Do you also think PIs should be outlawed, since their job is explicitly to spy on you - or is it just that its "the big government" who is looking over your shoulder?

I understand that we do not live in an ideal world, and that certain people should not have the power to influence and work for the common good because they will exploit it. Certainly we can agree though that the common good should prevail, sometimes at the expense of individual liberty. I just don't see what the big deal is unless you're breaking the law, law abiding citizens have nothing to fear from surveillance. Yes, they know what you're doing, but if you're not doing anything wrong they won't be watching you...and if they are...SO WHAT, it has absolutely no impact on your life unless you break the law.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sodapop04
I'm sure we can all agree that these might be the only type of effective cell phone. They probably didn't have any form of surveillance on these.

they were probably analog signal which you may pick up with a normal radio.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
First, I don't believe the government uses a trojan to get into iphones. The reason, they have an illegal wire tapping deal with AT&T to listen to all conversations anyway so it would really be a waste of time to go to the extra effort.

Also, any time any individuals liberties are compromised for "the greater good", we are no more secure and less free.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Captain Jailew, no i think your taking what i said out of how i ment it. first its not your natural right to murder anyone, its an action you might choose to persue but certainly not a right. as for p.i.'s they have a license to do thngs and often they are being given consent from one party to do what they do and anyways they arent a government sponsered program of any sort bound to the limitations a government agency is indeed obligated to respect, even for the good of the people we have the right to know what they do with our information because its OUR information and no reasoning of the greater good allows for them to deceive us about what they are or are not doing with or without our consent behind our backs and with the money WE are obligated to contribute to the government. they work for us and not the other way around. our rights are our rights and its what makes us america.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
NASA has rejected the iPhone and gone with the Canadian Blackberry 8800 and the Plam Treo 750 quoting concerns that "iPhone is not enterprise ready"... I don't think this will put "Steve" out of any big jobs.

An InformationWeek piece from July 31st Apple iPhone Out, BlackBerry 8800 In At NASA ..

I have seen on ISS footage at least one white iPod and one red "U2" edition floating about...

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 1-8-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
All I can say is bump this thread.

LOL.... The iphone.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well I was doing a search on the iphone since I have one and came across this. This is odd.... I dont want them in my personal life but hey all they will find is some texts complaining about work, my bf and various silly videos and pics and many other things many people do. In other words very boring.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join