It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPhone a Trojan Horse For Government Surveillance?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
hey man, dont get all twisted on the subject, dont get snippy. he has a point. they have been data mining trends, political,educational,interests, all that for years, even in another post its been confirmed that facebook.com has been shown to be another way of data mining a particular age group, i suggest you look it up.
and in so far as the particulars about this thread? they are unlawfully tapping your info, it goes against your rights as a citizen so dont try justifying that its ok for them in any sense, i know you didnt really but dont try taking that standpoint because its simple, they dont ask for you permission to look at your personal info and if you wouldnt want a friend nosing through your personal info, why would you want a stranger to? let alone a governmental agency that is worse off. while your nosey friend might not have any qualms with indulging and even a stranger, a governmental agency is to be held to the standards and laws that the amendments allow for and protect us with. no violation is warranted no matter what you justify it with. PERIOD.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I think that you guys are right in your concerns but you are too late in your discovery. What most people don't know is that your cell phone, any cell phone is really just a GPS tracker. Oh but it gets worse. Much worse! A little known fact is that your cell is really controlled by the company. They can track your movements and listen to your conversations even if the phone is turned off. For those who don't belive me just think about it for a second. When you move through different time zones your phone automatically switches to the current time. A cell phone is basically a homing beacon with a battery, a microphone and a reciever. Just check this out.

They can hear everything.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
The best bet is to find an old cell if you absolutely need one (most companies won't allow old ones, but the pre-pay ones are not as high-tech) ... and leave the battery out when not in use.

I quit using a cell years ago, but I had the sense back then to put it in 'airplane mode' which 'said' it disabled all communication functions (web, connection to towers, GPS). Later I would just remove the battery instead. It seemed to extend the life ... and I guess because the phone is technically always on (above post).

I think a lot of you are not listening to the simplicity of the argument and clouding it with you lack of foreseeable effects.

The real point is ... any invasion of privacy ... is just that. An invasion of YOUR privacy and civil rights. Whether there are suspicions or not. A warrant is required for search and seizure. Profiling is a form of discrimination ... you are judging people by the way they 'look' whether physically, monetarily, or digitally.

Learn to defend yourself, your rights, your freedoms.

Your arguments sound like this to me: Well, since your slap didn't break my nose, it doesn't hurt. Since your punch didn't leave a bruise, you are free to hit and push me around as much as you choose, because it isn't very noticable, just a bit of a nusance.

Why is it ok for them to do something wrong, something illegal, just because you don't feel bothered by it ... as long as they shoot the neighbors and not me, it is ok ... I am not affected.

Doesn't that sound silly? I know this is just about a cell phone initially, but the real issue is our Constitutional rights, and the powers that be feeling like they have become above the laws themselves. Read some old books to get a grasp ... Anthem ... 1984 ... Fareinheit 451 ... Alas, Babylon ... those people wrote those books in fear of being in a controlled society, but if you look how close we are getting to those technologies and level of government control and surveillence, it is quite frightening, and not in a fearful cowardly way, but makes me want to stand up for myself, get others to open their eyes and stand up for themselves as well ... but honestly ... I have tried, no one listens ... I may just go find somewhere to live away from technology and fast city life and defend myself and loved ones when the time comes.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThinkerIdealist

Learn to defend yourself, your rights, your freedoms.

No one is this forum ever makes a difference by just talking about the problems. Most of the time the people that come here talk about the freedoms and rights that are being taken away but never do anything to fight for it. If we are really in danger of government surveillance then do something about it. Whining about it on some internet forum isn't going to change anything.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Soda i dont say it often but your not understanding.your being thick headed. let me clarify....Knowlege and the persuit of it IS active resolve to circumvent those type of possibilities. the citizen whom seeks to educate themself about the real politics surrounding the parties and their leaders makes himself or herself TEN TIMES more beneficial for the overall wants and needs of those they represent as they vote. there is not much the average citizen can do alone but in groups such as this web site provides, awareness can be hightened and prevention is more a feasible situation through awareness

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I get your point. But have you ever heard the statement "Talk is cheap?" It doesn't do much to sit around and do nothing. If there is truly a conspiracy to take away rights from the average citizen, the well informed shouldn't just sit around the internet with their knowledge. They should fight for the common person and take action. Either by speaking with elected officials, or becoming the elected officials themselves.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
im going to disagree, politics are politics and only slight progress is really made directly. like i said, being well informed and having a commitment to staying well informed about what you can do to limit the information you are allowing out is pretty much the best thing you can do. its not something one individual can do and this is american politics your talking about, just to get in the arena you need wads of cash and backing from one of the two parties which doesnt seem likely when you consider there are multitudes of career politicians you would have to compete against...
just acknowlege what you can do and do it.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
his point still stands. okay, wow, the iphone is logging your info into a server somewhere. nice, good to know, now how do i prevent the phone from doing that.
hypothetically speaking, if it is known how to prevent this and not being told, this information would be equivalent to me saying, "if you get bit by the black snake it will kill you in an hour, but i know of a way to cure yourself before getting to the hospital, or i know a way of slowing down the process, so you can have more time to make it to a hospital, but im not going to tell you."
so i hear all this blah blah, and its extremely good info, and im glad there are people out there cracking software and hacking shyt, and making people aware, but now im just wanting to know what i can do to prevent an invasion of my privacy, or at least make it hard work to be all up in my business.
i read the whole article, and it talked about the iphone, amongst other things in the history of snooping, but all in all, i just want to know how to not get snooped on. thats what should be linked under the iphone link. a link to how to help keep your personal info on the web, safe. thats it. blah blah, yeah yeah yeah, the iphone is doing this. good read, now how do i prevent this.yes its an invasion of privacy, and im sure there is no doubt that the government will dip their hands in the bowl, and so will other hackers around the world. it sucks big time, but its the day and age that we live in. we live in an age of technology, and crazy people. i dont want it to turn into some minority report crap, where they are arresting people for stuff they havent even done yet. thats crazy, and thats why its a movie, because no one would stand for something like that in real life, but then again, humans are weak dependent sacks of meat. but anyways, im just sayin, its whack, but given the state of affairs worldwide, to an extent, i can understand the want, and or need, to sometimes just know, and by knowing they have to sometimes walk through your door without an invite. im not putting all my faith in those with access to this info, because they are human like me, and prone to do stupid things with info like that. but im not gonna be irrational, and pretend like i live in a honky dorey world, where espionage like this isnt sometimes warranted.
no one here knows exactly what good has possibly come from spying on people sometimes to get what they need. all of us here only know the few cases that come across the board of people getting screwed, and a bunch of theories getting thrown around about how this spying is some type of nationwide take over in the making.
like you all wouldnt spy on someone if you had to, or have never snoop into someone elses personals before. yes, i will setup my computer to record everything my wife has been typing on it, if i suspect she is cheating on me and playing me for a fool. yes i will invade someones privacy if i feel there is a NEED to. no i will not just record my girlfriends phone conversations because im a psycho, and or i just want to be nosey. it serves no purpose. what im getting at, is that sometimes there is a reason to do unethical things, and to deny that, is to be lying to yourself to the 10th degree
im tired oh hearing these replies about the 4th this, and the 4th that. yeah yeah, i know, but how do we realistically give people all the freedom that the few like us would like, and demand, and still keep people as safe as we can. given how the world is right now, not what it coulda, shoulda, woulda. how it is right now, there will be a need and a want to be able to access info like this. i dont like as much as the next person here, and i dont want it to go any further than it already has. but what is your plan? what do you suggest we do to keep up with all the other immoral and unethical people in the world, who just dont give a damn, and want to harm others. ill address the other post directed at me later. im not snipp

[edit on 25-7-2007 by

[edit on 25-7-2007 by jimmy1200]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
You do realize that if it isn't done through the phone they will find another way. Wasn't there a post about the FBI using a fancy keylogger through MySpace not so long ago?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
What do you say to someone who gives the tired excuse of "well, i have nothing to hide!" what would you tell someone who said that to you while explaining the backdoor feature on the new iphone?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
To fix Safari while they are at it.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
i would explain to them thats its not about not having anything to hide, its about the potential abuse of this type of info from computer hackers, and goverment agencies. and i would then go on to explain in detail some hypothetical situations to make them think a little more before saying that oh so cliche comment of, "i dont have anything to hide".
it wouldnt be so bad if they came out and said that your info is getting backed up here, but it is safe from abuse, and is confidential, etc... that way i at least feel comfortable in knowing that if that info was ever used against me, it would have had to be confiscated more than less likely under illegal means. i mean come on people, your info getting backed onto a server, and being logged all the time shouldnt make you gasp like its something new out of the blue. but i would at least like to know, and know what laws and security are in place to secure the confidentiality of that information. at the very least i want that.

what do you all want?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
see? its the principles of the matter, some of you are like, what can we do? theres noting you can do and blah blah blah, dude just dont go out and buy it, technology that doesnt have overwhelming popularity phases out after the first few marketing campaigns. dont by the phone because of the obvious back door. it doesnt help tons but it furthers our stance that it isnt right and that is the focus on this issue.
its wrong and buying it just supports the claims that led to this point, which is to say that we are fine with just letting the government walk all over our privacy. period.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
thank for those answers. I'm trying to convert some sheeple and i will mention all of the things that you kind people have provided. thank you.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
see that seems the best solution given this particular dilema but then there will be those here who will say it isnt enough, or that our boycott wont make any dent, whatever man its probably not but you wont be the one they are dipping in on.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This is alarming, I've also been suspicious of the tmobile sidekicks. These governments are becoming more and more troublesome. Revolt anyone?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
just a shame you cannot block it with some firewall on the phone, maybe some software may come in the future. does the operating system on the phone allow software to be run?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
just a shame you cannot block it with some firewall on the phone, maybe some software may come in the future. does the operating system on the phone allow software to be run?

I'm sure with the right programming it could be done, but who would go as so far as to buy the phone, just to run the software that blocks out the hacking from the government? I say boycott the iphone ( shoot I would even say boycott celluar services all together since they can tap all phones )

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 03:47 AM
link   
but i want to buy what i want. true i can boycott the iphone, and i have no intention on buying one, and never did. but IF what the article says is true, then they should release the technical details to major new sources, and make a video of it to be spread throughout the net, and just really get the info out there to iphone users, "that hey, your phone is logging everything you do on it".

maybe i need to check for any updates on the issue, but its a bit odd that they found this, and there are no technical details out yet backing the claim. if the story ends at this, and thats it, then wtf. i dont know what the point of lying about something like this would do. so im more prone to believe its true. plus i havent thought about why someone would make up a lie like this . but all that aside, they need to do what i mention, and also find a way to protect your info, and release that. that would be the ultimate for whoever found this and wants to make a change. im not gonna boycott and rant about anything yet, because i dont have anything to solidly back up my claims.

just not buying the phone would not make any dent, and just telling people, hey, some russians found out that the iphone is logging your info somewhere, and apple never told us that, is just gonna make people say, what?
but if you release info out proving what you say, and really try to get it out, then you can make a massive dent, and people will be in an uproar. obviously the media is not gonna jump the bones on this to much, because of who theyre controlled by. but there is alot more that can be done to spread the word about the iphone. still, at the end of the day, me, probably just like the software crackers who figured this out, will continue to just worry about self while trying to help out our fellow man here and there.
knowledge only comes to those who seek it. so unless its played on mtv 6 times a day, and on the front page of many newspapers, then it mostly likely wont get heard about by most people. i personally am not gonna spend my time trying to explain to all the iphone users i come across, that their phone is logging their info somewhere, and this is how it works, and this s why it could potentially be harmful.
i think our best bet would be to wait for technical details to come out about how this is being done, and just raid as many forums as we can, and post the info. we will reach more people that way then any other way, i personally believe. but its 4am, im tired, and blabbering, and i need to go to work in 3 hours. dont ask me why im up and watching die hard 4, and typing this on the net.

still got replies i want to address if i can get around to it. but thats somewhat how i feel on that. im down with what people are saying, but i dont believe some people are being realistic here. learn more, type less

hell, now i want to get into software cracking so i can do stuff like this, and see what else is being done. im half tempted to take my dvr apart. but ill stick to networking for now. plus, i would just break my dvr and be pissed, and not know what to do from there. lol.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
well not only iphone , but all cells in general ,

pinpoint owner to withinn 10ft,
all calls go throu echelon ,

to spice even more,

with wifi , rfid , wlan , g3 etc etc etc

the possibilitys are endless for a phone operator to track your
where abouts ,

im not gonna name the brand but a good 7 years ago there was a "collar model " in the prototype stages .

the only way to ensure a private message is throu the use of pen, paper and stamps .

back in the days of suitcase phones you could be pinpointed to some where with in 5miles but generaly its was a poor means of pinpointing , '

remember the days with out cells ,

i miss em , ....

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join