It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.2-magnitude earthquake shook the San Francisco area Friday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   

SAN FRANCISCO, California (CNN) -- A 4.2-magnitude earthquake shook the San Francisco area Friday at 4:42 a.m. PT (7:42 a.m. ET), the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

www.cnn.com

SAN FRANCISCO, California (CNN) -- A 4.2-magnitude earthquake shook the San Francisco area Friday at 4:42 a.m. PT (7:42 a.m. ET), the U.S. Geological Survey reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

mod edit, shorten title

[edit on 19-10-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I thought someone on here said that California usually follows Japan in quakes

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I hope not because I hate quakes. And I live in Los Angeles which had a decent sized quake back in '94. I am officially scared if CA follows Japan in quakes!!

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
It woke me up. It was a minor quake as quakes go. We get one like that around here every other year or so. Nothing in my house even fell over.

My infant son was in my bed, he lifted his head, said "Mama" and went back to sleep.

Part of living the California life-style. Welcome to the Ring of Fire.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
If we're due in L.A., then I might be cutting at the right time...

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
What's odd is that several hours before a quake, I always seem to wake up suddenly and inexplicably, hot and sweating, regardless of the temperature. That happened last night as well, a bit after midnight. I felt anxious and tense, but managed to fall back asleep. It's probably coincidental, but it seems to always happen.

This quake woke me up as well. It gave me a start, but then I drowsily drifted back to sleep. This was definitely only a mild quake. We're used to it here.

[edit on 7/20/2007 by AceWombat04]

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
i didn't feel it, but it's interesting to see a shaker happen. we've been getting a lot of the one-time "bam" type of earth quakes. (not shakers) more of sudden jolts.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I thought magnitude 4.2 earthquakes were very common in this area. Happens almost every other day, no?

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
it really depends on what type of quake it is really.
we've just been getting the bursts for the most part and you definitely feel them for sure. it's like someone's slamming the door in your home somewhere. - and that's it.

i've only felt one "shaker" in 7 years, but that's just in SF. we have not felt the quakes in berkely - at least *i* haven't. (the shakers are the scary ones, they lead to liquefaction in parts sf pretty quick)

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 02:57 AM
link   
My mother woke me up to tell me that there was a quake...I didn't feel anything personally. However, later on in the day, I was laying in bed and felt the 2.8 that struck.

I did a google earth of the coordinates both were near Highway 13 in Oakland...about 2 miles from me. Maybe it was put on Yahoo's front page because it was the second largest quake that rocked the bay area?

I experienced the 4.2 that rocked Laffayete back in March...I was in Berkeley at the time walking down the beer and wine section at Longs, I heard some things drop in other isles but glad I didn't get bonked on the head where I was! It was a rather large jolt, and I hadn't felt one that large since the 89' Loma Prieta. When it hit, I thought it was in the same area where some smaller quakes were felt near the Oakland / Berkeley border earlier on this year and last.

As far as 4.2's happening every other day, not really in this area...we get some small ones here and there though and I've noticed an increase in quakes here on the Hayward Fault since last year and into this year, but probably because I just been paying more attention than I ever had before.

Acording to the ANSS earthquake catalogfor this area, there have been several mag 4 quakes since 1933, even some 5ers.

The list is rather long to post here but if you place a minimum magnitude at 3.0 and the start time to 1933 then put: delta=37.807,-122.188,0,60 into the box under the Additional search perimeters, you'll see what I'm talking about.

There was a 5.7 back in 1986, a 5.4, 5.1, and 5.8, in 1980, and a 5.4 in 1955.

It's just a matter of when and where the next big one will strike...but if one was to hit here on the Hayward fault, I have no idea of what kind of impact it may have on the building stuctures here. Will it be worse than the 1906?
Susceptibility Map of the San Francisco Bay Area
Liquefaction Hazard and Shaking Amplification Maps
Hayward Fault Zone

[edit on 23-7-2007 by DearWife]

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Woops! Meant to say> Maybe it was put on Yahoo's front page because it was the second largest quake that rocked the bay area this year?

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The lower portion of San Andreas is 150 YEARS overdue -- be careful LA and San Diego. There's going to be some test next year for earthquake preparation, haven't seen but an article about it. . . .

top topics

join