It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olbermann: Go to Iraq and fight, Mr. President

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Bush’s latest choice of scapegoat — Hillary Clinton — boggles the mind

This is getting us nowhere. It's certainly not productive in terms of stopping the war, it just makes the left look like even more fools. They continue to blast the war using name calling, blasphemy, and most of all, finger pointing.

The utter, blinkered idiocy of “staying the course,” of sending Americans to Iraq and sending them a second time, and a third and a fourth, until they get killed or maimed — the utter de-prioritization of human life, simply so a politician can avoid having to admit a mistake — that had nothing to do with the tens of thousands individual tragedies darkening the lives of American families, forever. It isn’t Mr. Bush’s fault.
Yes Mr. Bush started this war, but is it his fault the troops are getting killed or the terrorists. We all know, at least the intelligent people do, that pulling out would eventually turn Iraq into a cesspool for terror and a chaos driven country. Countless of Americans have died, and pulling out would make their sacrifices for this country worthless. Sometimes I wonder what possibly could be going on in the heads of every democrat and liberal fighting to end this war abruptly. If you don’t agree with the war and you want to end it, at least do in a logical manner. Olbermann, a liberal, is a perfect example of why I hate the left so much. They could spend better use of time on other topics or if you’re like Olbermann you will blast the Iraq war continuously rather than come up with a meaningful solution and voice it. Iraq war, we’re there, okay, pull out, not now, strategize, yes, a better ending. Oh, and of course this bias left wing attitude comes from yours truly NBC.

What do you think?

Source

[edit on 7/20/2007 by Fallacy]

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fallacy
We all know, at least the intelligent people do, that pulling out would eventually turn Iraq into a cesspool for terror and a chaos driven country.

I've got a news flash for you--it has been for a long time, but it wasn't before we invaded, because Hussein hated Bin Laden.

Countless of Americans have died, and pulling out would make their sacrifices for this country worthless.

Not countless--3628 as of this writing. That number will change tomorrow. So losing more lives each day in the months to come will somehow legitimize the deaths accrued thus far? I'd wager the average enlistee would love to get the hell out of there today, despite their loyalty to those fallen.

Sometimes I wonder what possibly could be going on in the heads of every democrat and liberal fighting to end this war abruptly.

Abruptly? This is the longest running war in US history. Oh, what about the growing number of Republicans who also want to get us out "abruptly"?

...if you’re like Olbermann you will blast the Iraq war continuously rather than come up with a meaningful solution and voice it.

Except the only solution Bush (and you apparently) can envision is staying the course or increasing troop strength, threatening to break the back of the military. Hey, there are guys going back for their 5th rotation. You want to try that? The "meaningful solution" is to admit the mistake and leave before any more of our guys get killed.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I agree that it was a mistake and i sure as hell dont think we should be there, but i also believe in finishing what you start. Oh well i guess my fiance's brother died for nothing...

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I'm truly sorry to hear that. That really sucks. My condolences.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
That number that you count is not correct. Thats the number that has actually died in Iraq, however, they do not count the ones that died from wounds once they where removed. I think the actual number is closer to 10,000 than the number you have there.

This site may shed some light:
www.antiwar.com...

This site as well:
icasualties.org...

There "official" count might be that number, but, its really way higher. That number is just to keep people signing up for the war. It's really sad that so many young and old alike are losing their lives fighting this really utterly stupid war. I respect what these men and women do, but it's time they came home and stopped dying for nothing.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fallacy
It's certainly not productive in terms of stopping the war, it just makes the left look like even more fools.

"The Left" aren't the ones who are looking like fools these days...
And yes, it is productive. Olbermann speaking out and shining a light on the ridiculous state of this government and this war is exactly what this country needs to mobilize the people to end this debacle and this administration.

They continue to blast the war using name calling, blasphemy, and most of all, finger pointing.

Blasphemy? What blasphemy?

We all know, at least the intelligent people do, that pulling out would eventually turn Iraq into a cesspool for terror and a chaos driven country.

And now it's not? It's a cesspool for terror and a chaos driven country BECAUSE we're there.

Countless of Americans have died, and pulling out would make their sacrifices for this country worthless.

The sacrifices are worthless. It was a mistake and many have died for NOTHING. And many more will die for NOTHING. Nothing is going to make those deaths worth something.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by yuefo
Abruptly? This is the longest running war in US history. Oh, what about the growing number of Republicans who also want to get us out "abruptly"?

Maybe you're trying to sound ignorant, is that a joke?

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
One thing I don't understand about the Left is this:

What does America gain by pulling out of Iraq and basically shafting those who are helping us now there? Does it make is more secure? Does it make the region more stable? Does it make our allies in the region stronger? Does it increase our standing in the world by basically telling our enemies that America lacks the will politically to face an even moderate war in terms of casualties? Maybe Bin Laden was right, all you have to do is pinprick us and we give up?

I fear for our country if we cannot fight our enemies in low level warfare for an extended period without the country losing it's will to fight. Congress lacks the will to see things further than their own reelections in terms of geopolitical strategy. Bin Laden has been planning for a war that will last a century and here we are less than 6 years into it and some in our government are ready to give up and let them win. How will we fight a foe that is determined to kill us and prepared to fight generations to achieve that goal? Sooner or later it is going to come down to who has the greater willpower and determination. Many Americans would rather watch American Idol rather than realize we are in the opening stages of a war that will last decades.

What will the Left do if a Democrat gets elected President and still Al Queada attacks the U.S.? What if a Democratic President goes to war with Iran or Sends troops to go after A.Q. in Pakistan?

While many will find problems with this statement, War is the Final form of Diplomacy, it is a viable option in some situations. Many on the left would never strike back at our enemies for fear of "raising more terrorists that would attack the U.S.".

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
What does America gain by pulling out of Iraq and basically shafting those who are helping us now there?

I'm not "the Left", but what we gain is no more dead soldiers. No more World police.

It doesn't make us any less secure. And yes, the region will be more stable. It was more stable before we went charging in there like a bull in a china shop.

Does it increase our standing in the world by basically telling our enemies that America lacks the will politically to face an even moderate war in terms of casualties?

It would increase our standing in the world to show that we know when we've made a dreadful mistake and we're willing to back out of it instead of charging ahead full force without a plan.

I fear for our country if we cannot fight our enemies in low level warfare for an extended period without the country losing it's will to fight.

These people were NOT our enemy! We let our enemy go free. We manufactured this enemy. They're just fighting for their country.

What will the Left do if a Democrat gets elected President and still Al Queada attacks the U.S.?

The Right is warning that an attack is coming anyway. We aren't keeping Al Qaeda from attacking! Our borders are wide open. If they want to attack, we're dead.

War is the Final form of Diplomacy, it is a viable option in some situations.

Well, I don't have ANY problem with this statement. I agree 100%. But realize we're in a war with IRAQ. They had NOTHING to do with 9/11. Many in this country make excuses for this war like we're fighting the same people who attacked on 9/11. Bush even said that! And people believe him. :shk:

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I think Keith out did him self this time

Count down Special Comments

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

It doesn't make us any less secure. And yes, the region will be more stable. It was more stable before we went charging in there like a bull in a china shop.

I Disagree. So basically leaving Iraq in a Failed state mode in one of the most vital areas in the world Geo Politically speaking is a good idea? I agree that Iraq is broke right now, you would leave it broken rather than pay the price of fixing it. Yes, the price is more U.S. causalities, that has always been the price in armed conflicts we have been in. It's not pretty, in fact sometimes it's downright ugly, but that is what it will take. I have no illusions that it will be easy. Remember you broke it, you bought it? It is our responsibility to help the Iraqis rebuild their nation. Doesn't matter if you think the initial war was right or wrong now, we need to help Iraq to be a stable place in the Middle East now. How do you propose to do that?

These people were NOT our enemy! We let our enemy go free. We manufactured this enemy. They're just fighting for their country.

Most of Al Qaeda in Iraq is made up of non Iraqis, you are aware of that right? The Sunnis in Anbar have given up the fight against us and are going after A.Q. in Iraq. The Shia Militias are a problem as the Central Government in Iraq lacks the will to faceoff with them. I wonder who is supporting the Shia Militias in Iraq??????? Hmmmmm.
What will the Left do if a Democrat gets elected President and still Al Qaeda attacks the U.S.?

Well, I don't have ANY problem with this statement. I agree 100%. But realize we're in a war with IRAQ. They had NOTHING to do with 9/11. Many in this country make excuses for this war like we're fighting the same people who attacked on 9/11. Bush even said that! And people believe him. :shk:

I am glad that you don't have a problem with that statement. Many on the Progressive side do however. They probably wouldn't even lift a finger to help Darfur if it was up to them. Too much hand wringing and self

Bush has never said that Iraq was behind 9/11. Prove consistently that he has said exactly that. Saddam was force, that in a Post 9/11 world could not be allowed to stay in power, there were ample reasons to take him out of power.

[edit on 20-7-2007 by pavil]

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   
The thing I find most interesting yet disappointing at the same time is how the Iraqi parliament is taking the whole month of august off. Tony Snow said it’s because of the heat, was that supposed to be a joke, not really sure? Do the Iraqis really want their freedom or simply do not care? This kind of action upsets me because lack of effort is something that can majorly affect a war. I’m surprised this hasn’t gotten more media attention than I thought it would.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
I think Keith out did him self this time

Count down Special Comments

Still good old left wing msnbc.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Fallacy, I agree with you. People like Bubble man Olberman make comments like that and expect them to mean something. That is like asking members of Congress to have their sons and daughters serve their nation. I think there is only one congressman that actually has a child in the military. I can't even remember which congressman it is now.

top topics

join