It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New 60th Moon of Saturn Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   

New 60th Moon of Saturn Discovered

www.space.com

A new moon of Saturn has been discovered, bringing the planet's satellite tally to 60.

Initial measurements suggest the new moon, which is still unnamed, is about 1.2 miles (2 kilometers) wide, and lies between the orbits of Mehone and Pallene, two Saturnian moons discovered by NASA's Cassini spacecraft in 2004. The newfound moon is about 1.09 million miles (1.76 million kilometers) from Saturn and could be part of a larger group of still undiscovered moons around the ringed planet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Thats a lot of moons!

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   
What I'd like to know is, when are the orbiting rocks too small to be moons, and are referred to as space debris?

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Thats a really good question.
I searched around and this is by far the best explanation.
www.piedmontamateurastronomers.com...
If the link doesn't work just post back I will find a good link.

[edit on 20-7-2007 by Equinox99]

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Thanks, Equinox, that was a really interesting read. I've saved it to my ATS folder for future reference.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
60 moons on the sixth furthest planet from the sun with the six sided shape(hexagon) on it's north pole that shares it's name with the sixth day(saturday) of the week?

there seems to be a pattern emerging here...

I wouldn't be surprised if soon the total saturn moon count reaches 66...

[edit on 20-7-2007 by surrender_dorothy]

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I'd say that's just a coincidence with the six thing.

Depending on what definition you use, it has hundred or thousands of moons.

Of course using other definitions it has less than 60, but based on how we define moon
currently the count just happens to be sixty.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by surrender_dorothy
...shares it's name with the sixth day(saturday) of the week?

The week actually begins on a Sunday, meaning that Saturday would be the 7th day of the week. I don't particularly see what connection you are trying to make.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Okay, nobody said it yet:

That's no moon... That's a space station!

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
What I'd like to know is, when are the orbiting rocks too small to be moons, and are referred to as space debris?

good question. afterall Pluto was named a "dwarf planet" rather than a "planet" simply because it hasn't cleared its neighbouring region of planetesimals. Although it fits all other criteria for being a planet.

I think the only definition for a moon is a celestial body orbiting a planet. What about a star? Would any planetary body orbiting a Star be a planet? Wouldn't that be Pluto? Sorry to break off subjuect, but MajorMalfuction raises a good point.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Or maybe we should call it the Terraformer, j/k

So as you can see we don't really know all that much about a four letter word, Moon.

You could be told anything about the Solar System how would you know if you are being told the thruth....... we believe what we are told. As far as pictures go well, you know how pictures go.... don't you.

HELLo, I'm like still trying to figure out if I dig straight down in my yard when I come out the other side will I really be in China????

[edit on 20-7-2007 by observe50]

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donoso

How so?

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Gorman91:

That was a joke. A great man by the name of Obi Wan Kenobi said this at the first glimpse of the Death Star in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope.

I thought it rather humorous.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

Originally posted by Donoso

How so?

No offense Gorman, but because you had to ask made me laugh.

It reminds me of the movie Armageddon when Ben Affleck asks the Russian if he ever heard of Evil Knievel, and he replied "No, I never saw Star Wars".

On topic, I think this was one of the reasons why they recently defined what a planet was because just about any small piece of debris can be called a moon when it orbits a planet. C'mon, this thing isn't big enough to be a death star space station let alone be called a moon.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Oh, from star wars. Now I remember.

Well, yea, it's one mile across. Technically speaking, a person could run around it a time or two without getting tired. Possible future of a new stadium? (of course the Stadium would have to be a dome incorporating the object in question due to its oval shape. HA, architectural explanation.)

Yea, a One mile moon means someone could actually own the moon in all and live on it. I mean, I can see at least 6 miles from my house to the shore. I can imagine it right in front of my eyes. It's very funny to think of something that small. Honestly, you couldn't even fit New Your City on it. You couldn't even fit Staten Island on it!

[edit on 21-7-2007 by Gorman91]

[edit on 21-7-2007 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 22 2007 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

How so?

I believe the correct response would be thus;

"It's too big to be a space station."

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman

Originally posted by surrender_dorothy
...shares it's name with the sixth day(saturday) of the week?

The week actually begins on a Sunday, meaning that Saturday would be the 7th day of the week.

according to you maybe but that doesn't make it absolute

Wikipedia quotes:

The Slavic languages of Eastern Europe regard Saturday as the sixth day

Beginning in the twentieth century, many Europeans have considered Saturday the sixth (penultimate) day of the week

I don't particularly see what connection you are trying to make.

It's all about the number six. 6 is a perfect number.

Six is the second smallest composite number, its proper divisors being 1, 2 and 3. Since six equals the sum of these proper divisors, six is a perfect number. As a perfect number, 6 is related to the Mersenne prime 3, since 21(22 - 1) = 6. The next perfect number is 28. Six is the first discrete biprime and the first member of the (2.q) discrete biprime family. Six is also a unitary perfect number, a harmonic divisor number and a highly composite number.

5 and 6 form a Ruth-Aaron pair under either definition.

The smallest non-abelian group is the symmetric group S3 which has 3! = 6 elements.

S6, with 720 elements, is the only finite symmetric group which has an outer automorphism. This automorphism allows us to construct a number of exceptional mathematical objects such as the S(5,6,12) Steiner system, the projective plane of order 4 and the Hoffman-Singleton graph. A closely related result is the following theorem: 6 is the only natural number n for which there is a construction of n isomorphic objects on an n-set A, invariant under all permutations of A, but not naturally in 1-1 correspondence with the elements of A. This can also be expressed category theoretically: consider the category whose objects are the n element sets and whose arrows are the bijections between the sets. This category has a non-trivial functor to itself only for n=6.

Six similar coins can be arranged around a central coin of the same radius so that each coin makes contact with the central one (and touches both its neighbors without a gap), but seven cannot be so arranged. This makes 6 the answer to the two-dimensional kissing number problem. The densest sphere packing of the plane is obtained by extending this pattern to the hexagonal lattice in which each circle touches just six others.

6 is one of the four all-Harshad numbers.

A six-sided polygon is a hexagon, one of the three polygons capable of tiling the plane. Figurate numbers representing hexagons (including six) are called hexagonal numbers. Six is also an octahedral number. It is a triangular number and so is its square (36).

There are six basic trigonometric functions.

There are six convex regular polytopes in four dimensions.

April 17th(7-1=6), 6BC was the date that Jesus was born according the all true gnostics.

The Jewish star of David has six sides. Saturday(arguably the sixth day) is the day of the Shabbat. I've already gone into the relationship between Saturn and the number six. Six is the number of orders of the Mishnah and the number of symbolic foods placed on the Passover Seder Plate. The Jewish holiday of Shavuot starts on the sixth day of the Hebrew month of Sivan. Sivan is the ninth month of the civil year and the third month of the ecclesiastical year on the Hebrew calendar. 9-3=6. Sivan usually falls in June(the sixth month) on the Gregorian calendar.

"God" created man on the sixth day. Although it's widely known by all true gnostics that Man in material form was created by the Material GOD aka the Devil. This six day creation of the universe is considered by all true knostics to be unrealistic. It is much more likely that the seven days of creation refer to the stages of creation. The sixth stage being the creation of life after the pact between the spiritual GOD and the Material GOD.

6x6=36 - three-six - three sixes - 666

on the seven segment display of watches and calculators 6 is written with six segments.

In Tarot, trumpcard No. 6 is "The Lovers".

Some frequent keywords used by tarot readers are:

Love relationship ----- Union ----- Passion ----- Sexuality
Pleasure ----- Humanism ----- Desire ----- Personal beliefs
Individual values ----- Physical attraction ----- Connection
Affinity ----- Bonding ----- Romance ----- Heart
Following the Marseille Tradition, also there are:

Choice ----- Doubt ----- Difficult decision ----- Dilemma ----- Temptation
The Lovers shows a young man and woman; most usually side by side, and often naked. The Rider-Waite-Smith card shows them as Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden; the Tree of Life appears behind Adam and the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil appears behind Eve, complete with Serpent. The sun shines directly overhead, underneath which is a winged figure with arms spread.

When life was created the Spiritual GOD agreed to breath life into the lifeless constructs of the Material GOD. According to all true gnostics the fall of Man was when Adam and Eve(other religions have different names) had sex and created babies. This proved that they were more interested in their mortal material pleasures than their eternal heavenly souls and condemned man to an eternity of life and death in this material prison.

Look at the words that were used in the above quote:

Love relationship ----- Union ----- Passion ----- Sexuality
Pleasure ----- Humanism ----- Desire ----- Personal beliefs
Individual values ----- Physical attraction ----- Connection
Affinity ----- Bonding ----- Romance ----- Heart
Choice ----- Doubt ----- Difficult decision ----- Dilemma ----- Temptation

They are all attached to material life and pleasure. A few words stand out more than others. SEXUALITY - HUMANISM - DESIRE - TEMPTATION

I could have written this better and could have done alot more research but I can't be bothered right now. This is probably written in the wrong thread anyways. I doubt that anybody will even read this.

I would finally like to add that I do not have Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia

All quotes are taken from Wikipedia.

join