It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

when do we go beyond our solar system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Does anyone know if or when any of our deep space probes will go beyond our solar system, or has this already happened?

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Pioneer 10 left the solar system first on June 13, 1983. I think the Voyager probes and Pioneer 11 may have also accomplished this feat.

quest.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Anwers.com, google, nasa keyword = Ats look find Probe, solar system, when, ask and ye shall

oops, thats not real code!

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
It really depends on how you define when the Solar System ends and Interstellar space begins.

If you consider Pluto's orbit to be the end of the System, than ubercanist's
answer is correct.

However there is sa great deal of stuf beyond Pluto's orbit, including objects larger
than Pluto itself and possibly another planet.

The Sun's graviational field dominates star activity out to 2ly, but the Oort cloud,
sometimes considered the edge of the System only goes out to 50,000AU, a little under 1ly.

All in all astrophysics ans semantics make that a really hard question to answer.

[edit on 7/20/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
It really depends on how you define when the Solar System ends and Interstellar space begins.

If you consider Pluto's orbit to be the end of the System, than ubercanist's
answer is correct.

The morons that decided Pluto is no longer a planet would disagree.

The expert panel that was commissioned to determine what is and is not a planet were disregarded when they suggested that a body that was large enough to condense itself via gravity into a sphere should be considered a planet.

Who knows what the classification is now,the general public certainly don't.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The heliopause is commonly accepted among scientists as the termination of the Solar System.

en.wikipedia.org...

Pioneer 10 is no longer transmitting, but it is believed it is still well inside the heliopause boundary. It was travelling in the oposite direction from the Voyager craft.

The following link details the locations of both Voyage spacecraft which are still well within the heliosphere.

voyager.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Wow we really went far, i would guess that if the deep space probes were still transmitting we could get allot of information out of them. It is amazing to think that we actually made it past our solar system even with probes it is still amazing and a great feat of mankind.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
One day I hope we will do even better than that. I agree that it is quite a feat. Even if we were wiped off the face of the Earth the next beings to arise might discover the remnants of our legacy on the Moon, Mars, and elsewhere. Perhaps 10 billion years from now life somewhere else in the galaxy will find Voyager and at least know that other intelligent life is possible?

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I have a feeling that we're going to achieve something really huge in the near future. It's going to go beyond mere space probes. More like space crafts that can create worm holes through space taking us so far away that getting out of our galaxy is going to be like talking a walk.

I know, I have high hopes;p

[edit on 21-7-2007 by ZikhaN]

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Perhaps 10 billion years from now life somewhere else in the galaxy will find Voyager and at least know that other intelligent life is possible?

Don't you watch Star Trek movies? V GER joined with a human and became a new life form

Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

[edit on 21-7-2007 by sensfan]

new topics

join