It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Have All The Fat KIds Gone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
In Britain at the moment the government is going mad about fatty foods.so much so that there are discussions of an unhealthy food tax!! their main target is children.the youth of today apparantly eat too much of the wrong food.(of course it would help if healthy food,such as fruit,was cheaper!)parants are breeding a generation of fattys!!

But is this true? where i live,there are 2 primary schools and a bus stop for several senior schools.there are also plenty of families on my close with young children.and i can honestly say that from the kids i have seen,not one of them is even close to being overweight nevermind being morbidly obese.....

....side track.2 relatives of mine,both in their 40's weigh 14/15 stone('bout 196 lb.)in todays world they would be classed as overweight and unhealthy.yet they go hiking and cycling on a regular bases.they have out-walked ppl half their age.yet the government looks at 'em and says,"fat!" rugby players weigh about similar,sometimes more.are they overweight? no! apperance has nothing to do with health.there are plenty of "slim" ppl who's insides are knackered!

back to the kids....i was just wondering where they all are! have you see 100's of them walking the streets,in playgrounds etc? where has the government seen these fat kids? showing one or two morbidly obese kid in the paper does not mean that is the majority. does anyone else wonder where these kids are? does anyone else wonder why the government is trying to control what we eat?

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I live in America, there are plenty here. I'm not sure how it is in the UK but here in the US these kids are living off of fast food. I myself have gotten to the point where most of it sickens me when I eat it. Many people I know eat the stuff at least once a day. (nasty IMO) Are there many fast food establishments where you live?

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but when kids don't have to work, they get fat. Sure, play burns off calories, but kids do that anyway. But when they get paid an allowance just for breathing, and there's no work involved, they buy games and sit on their behind. That means more time spreading out instead of being outside.

Yep, where you have kids that are given everything their little heart desires, and they don't have to go the extra mile to earn it, you get fat kids. Welcome to modern America.

Not a rant, just an observation. And no, I have no proof, and neither does the government. It's just what you see.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I remember being in virginia at a water park. I was on line for one of the rides and i (being older then most of them) was standing taller, and i looked ahead of me and saw probably about 100 FAT kids and their parents. And there was probably only about 110 people in front of us.

I was amazed at how ALL these kids could be so fat.

Then i got to thinking, when i was younger me and all of my friends would go out after school and play sports and run around doing crazy stuff until it go dark out. We were active everyday. It seems that kids now just play videogames, go on their computer, and watch TV instead of playing outside.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
yeah,i know america seems to have this problem,but i was meaning more in the UK.i think a lot of kids over here watch tv and play computer games a lot because they have nothing else to do.where i live there are signs everywhere,"no ball games." "no skate boarding." etc. and of course,when teenagers hang out near shops or on street corners they get told they can't do that either! i'm guessing america has the same problem.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to acesinthehole.....nearby we have a chinese takeaway,a mcdonalds,(obviously.lol.)but mainly we have indian takeaways.us brits love our spicey food!!

junk food is so easy to get and to cook.its also quicker.i myself have worked all day,come home and had what could be classed as unhealthy food,because i was too tired to do anything else.
and of course there are ppl who don't have lots of money,and over here cheaper food is generaly crap food!!

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I agree hikix, where are all the kids? I remember when I was a kid, and we played tag, hide and seek, frisbee all day, we biked all day too.
One does not see many kids doing and playing those games anymore, they play other games, games that make them yawn and ask for toast and jam to be made and brought to them, they stay put.

And I don't believe in a fast food tax, why should my 169 lb, 6'2" body pay extra because someone else has a weight problem, it certainly is not my problem why should I pay for their overeating?
Besides a 30 cent fat tax, or whatever amount ain't going to stop a drooling obese maniac from chowing down salt, sugar and fat!
It won't stop me! (the skinny drooling maniac
)

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Where the fat kids are

China, for a start...

...and newly wealthy countries all over the developing world.

America, as some have already pointed out, is, er, overloaded with them. This one is from Houston, Texas, the fattest city in the USA.

It seems like NGC2736 and I have finally found something we can agree on:

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but when kids don't have to work, they get fat.

Right.

Putting them in the army helps too:

Love the signature by the way, jakyll. Best I've seen yet.

[edit on 20-7-2007 by Astyanax]

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I am a "thin" mother of a "thin" 5 year old child in the US, but I did want to share something I got in my mailbox yesterday. It seems that Fisher-Price company is trying to help out those little video junkies between the ages of 3 and 6. This new toy actually made me sick, to think of it as another "babysitter" for the parents, with some excercise thrown in there.

www.fisher-price.com...

I prefer to ride bikes with my son, and take walks daily, plus we swim and he rides a dirtbike every evening. I try to stay active with him.

My son prefers fruits and veggies, so we planted our own garden, and tend to it. He picks what we plant, and then he gets to eat it. It's my way of cutting costs on the high prices for healthy food.

My son has a friend that is quite overweight, and is only 4 years old. The only exercise he gets all week, is when his parents bring him to our house to play on the weekends. That kid huffs and puffs to try and keep up with my son. It's really quite a sad thing to watch. I try to get this kid to eat healthy while he's here, but he just won't do it. He has to eat junk food all the time.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Eat alot of poor quality junk as a child and you'll probably become overweight. Unfortunately it seems to be a bit of a class thing here in the UK, go to an affluent upper middle class area and people tend to be slimmer, go to a more "working" class area and you'll find that people tend to be a bit more on the "stocky" side.

The thing I have a problem with is that it's cheaper for me to buy proper food and cook it than to buy a takeaway. People on tv often plead poverty for their poor diet yet can still afford a couple of packs of Superkings a day as well as 3 meals, how do they get so ruddy fat when they're so penniless!

Granted I'm not an unemployed single mother with a brood of slack-jawed wall-eyed offspring hooting for their next screech full of chicken pops!

Anyway, back to the topic, the fat children are about as are their gluttenous parents.

There ought to be some sort of pram tax as well, come to think of it, the number of toddlers that I see in prams that a certainly more than capable of walking really riles me up.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
i think the last thing this country needs is more taxes.lol.
its rare for me to eat anything from a tin.i always get fresh meat and fresh vegetables,but i know many ppl are not like that.sometimes i think it comes down to laziness.but it can't be denied that money is a problem.i would like to eat more fruit than i do,i particulary like cherries,strawberries & blackberries.but the prices charged for such a small amount is unbelieveable! (will try & get figures & weights.)it doesn't help that britain seems to get fresh food that is from the arse end of the production line.if you travel in europe the difference in size,price and taste of fresh vege/fruit is staggering!!

another lurker..."It seems that Fisher-Price company is trying to help out those little video junkies between the ages of 3 and 6. This new toy actually made me sick, to think of it as another "babysitter" for the parents, with some excercise thrown in there."

they probably think that it'll get young kids into exercise.which can't be a totaly bad thing.but like you,i think it is just another babysitter.its also another screen they can spend hours glued too.

to Astyanax,cheers mate
and thanks for the pictures!

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

This one is from Houston, Texas, the fattest city in the USA.

That kid's not fat, he's just big-boned.

You know why Texas has such an obesity problem? 'Cause we got the best damned food in the U.S.!

BTW, I don't think Houston's #1 on the list anymore, I think Green Bay is.

Peace

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
In all year 9 grades at my school... there is only two fat kids. And that's out of over 100 people. Are there THAT many fatties over in the states? Or is Australia really skinny?

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   
This kills me. People make such a big # about bad food/fatpeople/bad health. The same lardass that cant do 25 pushups gives me # about how unhealthy smoking is. You know what? I'd rather sit down and polish off a whole pack of Camels in one sitting than eat a Mcdonalds Meal!

BUYING A "MEAL," FOR .99 CENTS SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING ABOUT HOW BAD IT IS FOR YOU.

I dont blame McDonalds or any other fast food place. I actually blame the parents. A 10 year old cant go out and buy his own food, mom and dad have to provide it. Mom and day both work 10 hours a day and dont have time to Mark/provide a decent meall.. PIZZA HUT ANYONE? My 2 year old neice screams all the time for Cheetos.. #ING CHEETOS!! She's TWO! My sister is morbidly obese and I see how it's affecting her. Now she's feeding her daughter highly processed food. Great. Sometimes I think it would be AWESOME to be detatched from all of this.. ie Desmond in his hatch.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I'm not in the UK but like some others said, wanna find the fatties ? Come to my town. I can't turn a freaking corner without seeing some fatty driving and stuffing a huge slice of pizza in her face (really did see this).

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   
love the picture drinktoforget

when it comes to america(coz they seem to have all the fat kids.lol.)i'm surprised that parents can't be done for child abuse! or is that to extreme? lol.like you said,kids can't feed themselves.so,if like over here now,schools have to take responsibility of giving the children a balanced diet,then surely parents have to do the same!!

i'm not a smoker.never have been,never will be.but i disagree with governments saying you can't smoke in public places,such as pubs.to me its just another oppression,another form of control.and every time i see an advert about the dangers of smoking,and how many millions suffer each year,i always think,"yeah,ok.but what about all the millions who DON'T suffer from smoking???" in the UK there are over 60 million ppl.its estimated that over half of them smoke.if millions died each year we would see a decrease in the population.but we don't! i've done voluntary work with the ederly in my local area for several years now,and nearly all of them smoke.and nearly all have been doing it since they were teenagers,and only 5 outta a cpl of 100 have died because of it!!

its interesting to wonder which is worse;smoking or junk food.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
oh,and just because i said i was talking more about kids over here in merry england,does not mean i don't welcome input from anywhere else

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   
So astyanax are you tryint to say that it is wrong to expect a child to earn something through their sweat and labor? Your pics seem to equate earning an allowance with child labor. Which by the way most countries forbid. I consider myself fortunate to have grown up in a semi-rural area. As a child when I would visit my grandparents i can remember picking beans, stripping peas, and shucking corn from the 10 or so acres my grandparents planted. I still remember the sore fingers from stripping peas.

My folks called it an allowance but it was contingent on performing certain chores: cutting grass, taking out trash, keeping my room clean, washing dishes etc. This encouraged me to get educated so that i wouldn't have to earn my living from the sweat of my brow. Giving a child an allowance without any coresponding responsibillities only breeds a sense of entitlement.

On Topic

Well they've cut phys ed classes as ruthlessly as they've cut arts and music in school and we wonder why kids are fat. Look at the comercials on nikelodeon or any"kid" network and you see nothing but junk food and fast food comercials between the toy commercials and we wonder why are kids are fat. When we finally get them in a sport there are no winners and losers anymore, hell we don't even keep score, so why even play when there is nothing special about winning and we wonder why our kids are fat. The single parent comes home and is too tired to throw the ball with the kids and we wonder why the kids are fat. We'll drive to the store less than a mile a way for a couple of things that could easily be carried and we wonder why our kids are fat.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
This just in according to a Harvard Study published in the July 26 2007 online edition of The New England Journal of Medicine, and reported on courant.com by AP Science Writer Alicia Chang as Study: Obesity Is 'Socially Contagious'. For the actual New England Journal of Medicine Special Article click the following The Spread of Obesity in a Large Social Network over 32 Years.

Where are the obese children? Unseen largely. This study suggests some are "indoors" with their friends and families of co-dependence, re-inforcing each others behaviour likely eating and watching the tube, playing digitally...

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 26-7-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by another_lurker
I am a "thin" mother of a "thin" 5 year old child in the US, but I did want to share something I got in my mailbox yesterday. It seems that Fisher-Price company is trying to help out those little video junkies between the ages of 3 and 6. This new toy actually made me sick, to think of it as another "babysitter" for the parents, with some excercise thrown in there.

www.fisher-price.com...

I'm 21...I want to play with that thing. Oh and I see all the fat kids at work. You see i work at Mcdonalds, and i'm amazed at some of these people. I mean some of them come and get food 3 times a day! And the amount of food these people get is insane too. We get people all the time coming through and getting 6 doublecheeseburgers 1 large fry and 1 large coke, the 1 fry and 1 coke tells me their eating all of them. Its really gross there and seriously i'd stay away from mcdonalds, i really thing there are addictive food additives in it. For instance, i used to eat a Big N Tasty for my dinner on my break, well i would come home and eat something. Well one night i came home and ate a huge bowl of oat meal, and i was stuff, almost to the point of having to lie down, and all of a sudden i had the urge to eat a big n tasty. and i'm a smoker so i recognized that urge it was an addiction urge, i knew i wasn't hungry, because if i'd ate anything else i would have probably gotten sick. I stopped eating their hamburger meats since then, and i eat the chicken there, ive not had a problem with it.

But yeah Mcdonald's drive through is like a homing beacon for the overweight, and the laziness of alot of these people astound me, an example of this being, paying $1.48 for a 32 oz drink because they don't have to get out of their car VS. paying $1.09 walking into a gas station and making it themselves.

So yeah i hate my job, because i'm basically helping these people hurt themselves, but i am looking for work elsewhere.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join