It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lets quit screwing around and prove or disprove the bible: here is how

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Personally? I don't think they'd ever find it. It's an allegory. How in the world could ALL species of existing animals fit on a boat, even in simple pairs? Impossible.

Not every single type of all animals would have to be taken on-board the ark. There is a thing known as Micro-evolution (just a name, its got nothing to do with macro/biological-evolution where one species can evolve into a different species [i.e dog into cat]) , where an animal can produce different varieties of its own type of animal (i.e a dog producing different breeds of dogs). So Noah only had to take 2 (or 7 as it is know he was commanded to take 7 of the good beasts [and you can't tell me you don't like dogs... everyone likes dogs...]) dogs, making sure to get male and female. Thus reducing the amount of animals to carry drastically.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
It said ALL the animals of the world. You guys can't change it to suit your purposes now.

Even if it was just the animals native to the Middle East, it would have been too many to fit on the ark.

It's not real, people. It's ancient fiction. You'll just have to get used to the idea and move on like the rest of us have.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Genesis 5:19.
"And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt though bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female."

MajorMalfunction, the bible states that 2 of every "sort" were to be saved, not 2 of every animal. That means 2 dogs, not 2 pitbulls and 2 golden sheppards and 2 mutts etc. Do you know how big the ark was? How do you know all of those animals could not fit? Where's your proof?

Genesis 5:5-8.
"And God saw that the wickedness of man was great on Earth.... And it repented the LORD that he had made man on Earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air.... But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD."

Noah saved our asses. And God showed grace to Noah because he was a good person. God knew if he could be good, then we could all be good, or that his offspring could be good. (Emphasize on "good", because we are obviously not good in this age, which is why Jesus was sent down.) And if you're going to get any sources from the Bible, make sure it is an un-altered King James Version, because there is a considerable difference King James and.. say.. New International. King James was translated directly from Hebrew to English, and not altered to fit the modern-day lexicon. Example is one version might say 2 of all species were put in the ark, but K.J.'s says 2 of every sort (and thats the original).

[edit on 30-7-2007 by Motion-Man]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Two very, very important words for everyone:

NON FALSIFIABLE

there is no method of providing evidence for the existence of God and there is no method of providing evidence that God doesn't exist.

There is no scientific merit in trying to disprove a book based on a 'belief' system. Unfortunately, science is the latest casualty of the modern world. Most research is now 'channeled' by commercial prospects. Just as science is not perfect neither is religion.

One thing that i think is necessary when discussing the bible is:

NEVER TAKE IT LITERALLY

The meanings of each verse from each gospel are intended to be taken as metaphors for living a better life. Its the same with every major religious text.

I am of the belief that it is impossible to know if god exists or doesn't exist. I don't know what the label for that is....

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
motion man, i don't think major or myself was thinking in terms of two pits and two labs and two goldies...

even such, it's not happening..we have a pair of a LOT of animals. animals that are not all compatible, that don't all eat the same thing, and that all have to leave waste.
so, yes, i know how big the ark is said to be. bigger than any other boat which alone tells me that nope, didn't happen but i gave the exact specs.
two of all those animals, food for all those animals, water(unless they had a tanning deck where they could drink the dew drops) and a place to leave the waste for at least a time(unless noah had some workers constantly cleaning urine and dung).

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
serious glitch......please delete

[edit on 30-7-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
edit* i think i hit something and messed it all up.

motion man, how can you think this sounds rational?

i am not trying to poke fun in this post but i honestly can not see how grown, normal functioning adults can belive in this...
i'm sorry, but i can't...
it reeks of harry potter and lord of the rings type fantasy books....

i have said it before, if it works for you then great.

for some it is religion, for me is it something else, and for others it is herion

it just don't compute with me

[edit on 30-7-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I was told in college that the bible was a history book, a science book, a story book and a
Religion book and, that was written by man.

It has been used to kill people you do not like or understand. – Example. (Salem Witch Trials)

Many Christian People use it to reinforce their faith and a guide to live by.

Not understanding the bible is the biggest problem. People do not understand what they are reading. They pick and choice the verses out of context to back their points of view. You must understand the writer and the condition he was writing his part of the bible.

Some parts of the bible can be prove and some can not. That does not make it a bad book.

Everyone has their right to believe what they want. At death we will all learn the truth.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Hummm...1.4 million to 1.75 million different animal species in the world, I don't think we have a boat today to cover this issue..even if in the bronze age it were half the amount. Its just a story...a tale for people who need faith in something that will answer the bigger questions.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

Even if "The Ark" were to be found, there still remains many a piece to said puzzle ... the Bible. (?) A story of stories.

--------------------------------
Came Across this Article : LONDON -- Noah's Ark has been found on the Turkish-Iranian border, 32 kilometres from Mount Ararat, according to the leader of a team of scientists that has been investigating the site for six years.

thetruereligion.org...

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
That has been found to be a fraud.

tentmaker.org...

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I figure they fit all the animals on the Arc either by taking mostly babies/eggs, or pregnant animals mabey....or hey could have been more technonlogically advanced and just taked dna samples for cloning?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
they claim they found the ark but they could be wrong how do they know that someone besides noah built it like u said they should get the momey together and get up there and find out

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
so people are actually saying that 'maybe', godo ole noah took babies, pregnant animals, and eggs, etc as to make it more realistic as to how TWO of each can fit on such a boat.
now, a pregnant animal counts as 2? i thought it was male/famale animals, q of each.
now if you take a pregnant animal or an egg, you are not going to now what sex it will be.
i mean come on people......fantasy

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
i would very much like to KNOW the score here know what i mean.

it would end a several thousand year old argument.

they're afraid of not finding anything.

why do 'they' not want to prive this?

1) Pay attention, cause I'm only gonna say this once.

2) The agrument is only as old as the dust on Darwin's Grave

3) The reason why they won't find anything is because the National Geographic Society already took everything of value out of the Ark in 1968 and shipped it to the Smithsonian Institute.

4) They don't want to prove this, son, cause they like to keep the commoners in the dark cause They do not believe you are good enough to know the Truth so They are gonna make darn sure that the existence of Adam's Body in Noah's Ark remains unpublished.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Theoferrum

you make extraordinary claims yet you don't have the extraordinary evidence to back it up...

or do you have it, but have yet to provide it?

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by uberarcanist

I disagree. If you're going to base your life on a book, wouldn't you want to know if it was indeed truthful? For such an important decision, I would demand a 100% verification.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
sorry im replying to this very late but wasnt this sort of thing done already with assyria?

for the longest time there was NO evidence that assyria ever existed. it was thought to be just a tall tale by the bible (sound familiar?)

then in 1845 the royal asiatic society discovered nineveh. blew up the whole theory that nineveh was made up.

so if thats not proof, am i to understand that all stories need archaeological backing?

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

actually, yes, it is.

you just proved the point, we shouldn't really acknowledge any old thing until we have evidence

troy was also thought to be a myth until an archaeological dig...but then we found it...
so should we just accept all the places in greek myth as real?
hell no!
we should wait until there's physical evidence to support its existence.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

ok i see your point, but the issue i have is that there is evidence.

im not going to turn this thread into a whole noah debate, but there is physical evidence of a global flood. also every major culture has folklore with a flood story (suggesting that a great flood happened early in human history).

granted it is a hotly debated topic and lots of scientist and theologians argue the details (global or just great, noah and fam or more, where did the water come from, where did it go, etc etc)

i just dont understand why this whole thing hinges on noah´s ark. there is a million and one reasons the ark might never be found. but just because it hasnt been found doesnt mean there isnt evidence.

and even if it is found, ok so that is one more story that has credibility. but lets be real here, even if found, its not like people are going to stop questioning the bible.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join