It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mercury cleanup plan means San Francisco Bay fish safe to eat by 2077

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
A new plan being impliments to target a reduction in mercury levels in the SF Bay means that bay fish will be safe to eat by 2077
. I have never had any desire to eat bay fish just by looking at the water, but had no idea the mercury levels were this bad. The plan relies mainly on removing sources of mercury to reduce the amount flowing into the bay. The plan would reduce the current 2645 pounds of mercury that get into the bay a year to 1540.

sfgate.com.../c/a/2007/07/19/BAGVGR310S1.DTL

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Ew. I live in Oakland, and go to the pier near the port at the tip of Oakland. There are signs up there saying not to eat the fish more than once a month, and if you're pregnant to not eat them at all.

I'm not pregnant, and I wouldn't eat the fish from the Bay. I don't even like it when my ex takes the kids to the beach in Alameda.

Since I won't be around in 2077 I guess it doesn't matter to me if the fish are OK then. But there will probably be other pollutants in the waters that are worse. Or maybe no fish at all.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Ok, here's my question.

Why is Mercury among other pollutants being allowed to be pumped into the bay in the first place,
and secondly why is it going to be continued to be pumped in at all?

new topics

join