It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA Suppressed Health Warnings for Workers, Katrina Victims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

FEMA Suppressed Health Warnings for Workers, Katrina Victims

www.washingtonpost.com

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has suppressed warnings from its own Gulf coast field workers since the middle of 2006 about suspected health problems that may be linked to elevated levels of formaldehyde gas released in FEMA-provided trailers, lawmakers said today.

At a hearing this morning of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, investigators released internal e-mails indicating that FEMA lawyers rejected environmental testing out of fear that the agency would then become legally liable if health problems emerged among as many as 120,000 families displaced by Hurricane Katrina who lived in trailers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This is infuriating!!! How can FEMA get away with providing unsafe housing to those poor, displaced people whose homes were destroyed? I just went to New Orleans to visit some friends, and those trailers are everywhere.

Who does the government work for, anyway? When are we (the American Public) going to demand accountability for government agencies' actions, and put a stop to this self-serving mentality that seems to pervade all levels of government?

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-7-2007 by keeb333]

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
When we get the current administration as far from Washinton as possible.

Government Agencies have been doing things like this for years. It's dispicible and America deserves better. If they were to do such to me, I'd quit working so they couldn't take 1/3 of my income and apply for federal aid. Milk them for a while. They've been milking me for 30 years, as well as all other Americans and they can't even provide decent housing when we need it.

But, hey at least we got all these fancy tanks and aircraft to run around the world and blow crap up. ugh.

Nice sig!

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Yes, the level of corruption in our government makes me sick. However, we are all so comfortable with our consumerist "McLives" that I can't forsee any big changes in the near future. Voting sure hasn't been working, and the .gov has got me so paranoid with all of the internet wiretaps and such, that if I say what I'd like to see happen, they may come knocking at my door!

The Katrina situation is just one example of how self-serving the goverment is. I mean, who do they think they work for: citizens or corporations? (Rhetorical question, I already know its the coprorations)

What ever happened to government for the people, by the people? As long as those in power merely seek to remain that way, there is no chance for change. The founding fathers must be rolling in their graves!

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
"McLives". That's great. I'll have to remember that.

My wife and I were driving by a Christian Church (nothing against Christian churches. I have my own ideas on religion, but I attend church to please my wife) and it was one of those Mega churches with 5,000 attendees and they sing rock songs the whole time. We tried it once and found that it stood for nothing that church should stand for so we never attend it again. Anyway, I mentioned as we drove by, "There's the Super ChurchMart." Just another way corporate America rules our lives with the limiting beliefs and ideals.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Don't get me started on the hypocrisy of churches...there's too many examples to count!

BTW, I was raised Catholic, and my wife's family is some sort of strange Appalachian Christian, but neither of us goes to church any more. I have a really hard time with any organized religion.

Back on topic, I guess there is not much more to say about this except it is one more black mark against the government. The people are expressing more and more dissatisfaction with the staus quo...As more of us wake up, hopefully it won't be too late to save the Land of the Free from those who wish to take our freedoms from us.

That thread about the possible domestic clamp down has me worried for sure!

new topics

top topics

join