It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Water on Pluto Moon?'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Astronomers think they may have spotted geysers of water spewing up on one of Pluto's moons.

'Water on Pluto Moon

Astronomers have announced they have evidence that, despite the bitterly cold conditions on the edge of the solar system, Pluto's moon Charon may have an underground ocean of liquid water, triggering speculation it could harbour marine life.

The water appears to be spewing up through cracks in the surface, producing spectacular geysers that instantly freeze, creating showers of ice.

They are speculating that radioactivity may be melting the ice and that there may even be life under the surface in the water.

It is unlikely there would be any life on the surface of the moon due to the -230C temperatures.

[edit on 19/7/07 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Very interesting, If I am not mistaken I remember hearing about bacteria or mold thiving in the nuclear site that had a meltdown back in Russia. I wonder if the same is at our nuclear waste dumps also to study what life might look like in that environment. Its as if life will sprout in the most unusual chemical soups.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
You know, it's funny. When i was young i had this really cool book about "the universe" which was actually just a book about the solar system. They'd show you a planet, tell you all the things about the planet, then on the next page they'd give you a breakdown of what life would be like IF there was life on that planet. That book is the reason why i've alwaysi known that Jupiter has such a crushing gravity, for example.

That was probably 23 years ago, and back then, Earth was the only place in the universe where there could possibly be water. All this time i've been upset that NASA doesn't get enough funding to do some really interesting things. Even with what little they have had to work with, we know that water is in MANY places in our own solar system.

It's great news.

join