It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Chipmunks!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Recently, a thread on ATS -- Albino Squirrels -- pointed out the results of a delightful mutation -- the White Squirrel.

Personally, I am not all that fond of squirrels -- white or otherwise. Nevertheless, I would have to admit that the novelty of a white squirrel elevates these lowly rodents to a slightly higher level than your typical "tree rat".

Well, the white squirrel has some real competition now . As cute as a white or albino squirrel might be, watch out! Here comes the White Chipmunk!

link to video of a recent discovery of a rare white Chipmunk in London, ON Canada

The video (link provided above) and the subsequent news article from the London Free Press describe the white chipmunk as a "very rare creature". The white chipmunk is rare because it is not an albino -- a mutation. Instead, the white chipmunk is a product of two recessive genes each carried by the father and mother of this adorable rodent.

It is interesting to note that a colony of White Squirrels reside in Exeter, ON -- a sleepy little Canadian farm community about thirty km North of London. All I can say is what's going on? Is this an invasion of white rodents?

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It's genetics. I think that the gene for albinos is recessive, so when conditions are right you can have a bunch of albinos.

I think that the humans in the area go "awww...how CUTE" and toss food or do other things that make it more likely they'll survive.

join