It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spiders save teen from house fire

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Pesky little varments actually alerted the 18 year old that something was amiss. That'll make her think twice before she goes on a squashing spree next time! LOL

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I am a lover of nature to the 99th degree, but I will continue to kill every spider in my house as god is my witness.

I hate the big wood spiders the most, eww.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
I am a lover of nature to the 99th degree, but I will continue to kill every spider in my house as god is my witness.

I hate the big wood spiders the most, eww.

Yoy do know its just as easy to throw them out, no need to kill them.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
In some cultures it is considered bad luck to kill a spider. Another way to look at it is not to kill anything you don't intend to eat.
JMO

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sun tsu
In some cultures it is considered bad luck to kill a spider. Another way to look at it is not to kill anything you don't intend to eat.
JMO

And there's something wrong with deep fried tarantula?

Perhaps a copy of the menu at the Road Kill Cafe will stimulate your appetite.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
A war story: fact or fiction?
My grandfather (deceased) told me a story about an instance during WW2 of a troop of British soldiers retreating from a division of advancing German infantry soldiers in France.
The British decided that it would be to their advantage to seperate into pairs and head for Paris using different routes to maximise their chances of evading capture.
Two of the British infantry spotted a German patrol and luckily came across a deep abandoned 'foxhole' capable of acommodating two persons and used this to hide. The Germans eventually spotted this and noticed that a spider had spun a web across the entrance. They never gave a second glance to this believing that no one could be hiding in it and the search continued and the British soldiers remained in the foxhole until the search party had moved on.
My grandfather said the spider had saved their lives and this was a reason never to kill a spider.
Maybe this actually happened -I wouldn't know! Perhaps this story is a WW2 urban/military legend.
Your thoughts.......................?

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Cool war story, never heard that one before.

Makes perfect sense to overlook a foxhole with a spider web, with the thought being it has not been disturbed.

My thoughts however, would be how long they actually stayed in the foxhole to allow a spider enough time to spin a web. The dimensions on the foxhole would be a must to make an accurate assessment.

I would have to chalk it up to being an 'urban myth' as it stands, without any supporting information.

Good story

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I love spiders and if I see one I just leave it be. Most of them are harmless and they are scared of you. They will usually stay far away from you. Besides spiders are good because they get rid of real pests.

To all the spider killers out there.... just wait until your next life... karma might reincarnate you as a spider!

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Yeah well I bet everyone giving a lecture about 'dont kill spiders' has pest control spray all the roaches at there house or they just squish them.

Whats the diff.??

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I'm from Wales, we don't have killer spiders and huge cockroaches. Whenever I see a little spider, I capture him and put him outside. The same for moths and other bugs in the house.

My choice might be different though in a country where killer bugs were at work. Unlucky America

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by anglosaxon
A war story: fact or fiction?
The Germans eventually spotted this and noticed that a spider had spun a web across the entrance. They never gave a second glance to this believing that no one could be hiding in it and the search continued
My grandfather said the spider had saved their lives and this was a reason never to kill a spider.
Maybe this actually happened -I wouldn't know! Perhaps this story is a WW2 urban/military legend.
Your thoughts.......................?

Same thing happened to Mohammad when he was hiding in a cave, the enemy passed by because there are many spider webs or some other animals' nests.

And Mohammad became prophet, what happened to those 2 British soldiers, did they become General?

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I don't see how the spiders saved anyone?

I hate spiders.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
The way i look at it is dont kill anything you dont intend to return as.

Regard's
Lee

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
imagine if you were stranded on a distant planet with the only other lifeform being a spider that stowed away on your vessel. it would suddenly become very precious to you, no?

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Its the Military that made me afraid of spiders. After spending many nights in a sleeping bag on the desert floor, In the jungle etc etc ive woken up with many spiders crawling in the bottom of my sleeping bag. You have never seen a soldier get out of his gonk bag so fast believe me?????

I still try to throw them out though rather than killing them

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by thesaint
Its the Military that made me afraid of spiders. After spending many nights in a sleeping bag on the desert floor.

Have you ever seen a desert camel spider those thing's are the worst.

Regard's
Lee

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I used to kill every spider I came across. We would be in the wooods working and every night I would wake up to spider bites all over me. Spiders were everywhere. My friend would never kill a spider and she would never get bit. She told me that I should try not killing the spider and not thinking about them so much. It worked I have slept with spiders in my sleeping bag and was never bitten again. Until I killed another spider. I think they are more scared of us then them and that helps me deal with them.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I have been bitten by a black widow on a couple of occasions. Still have a huge scar on my hand from where one bit me. Quite traumatic. Still, these little guys serve a great purpose. They cut down on cricket and cockroach populations, which my area is prolific with. I always catch them and put them outside, and wish them happy hunting.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Sounds like the lady with the attic fire had a whole hell of a lot of spiders living in her attic. Reminds me how scary it was crawling through the attic in my family's old house in CA (lots of black widows out there).

Personally I'd rather throw spiders out than kill them, but a year ago I had so many spiders in my basement that I just started killing em.

Though I really went berserk with the bug spray on the cricket above the ceiling tiles. At least spiders don't make noise. I can't stand those damned crickets!

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I never kill spiders mainly because they take care of the other bugs that bug you. Flies and roaches are always bothering people inside the house but spiders tend to stay to themselves and eat anything they can catch.

I started this habit when I lived in South Florida. I had moved there from a small northern town and had never seen a cockroach before. Cockroaches are the only living thing that scare the crap out of me. It's extremely difficult to keep them outside in South Florida no matter how clean you are or how much you spray (although these things help a great deal). The more I left the spiders to their business the less I saw anything else crawling around. I just took the habit with me when I moved and have never regretted it.

Now, there is this bit of science that says everyone eats at least 50 spiders in their lifetime. Apparently it happens while we are asleep as spiders like dark damp places. So when your mouth is open and drooling away, well, you get the picture.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join