It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinton? Obama? or Edwards? Who Will It Be?

page: 42
<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAvenger

Note to Don White: A gallon of regular unleaded was $3.37 in Oklahoma City this morning.

Mr T/A, yesterday 87 octane was $3.78 point 9 here in Jax. I have not made the calculations but say at $4 + I saw Obama as a shew-in. Now at $2.99 it may become a toss-up.

Let’s say the winner will do a re-run of 2004, and win by 3 million votes. So $1.00 is equal to 3 million votes. Therefore a penny a gallon equals 30,000 votes nationwide.

How come OK gas is 40 cents lower than Jax? I know you have drilled in OK and we have not drilled in FL - 1,100 miles of pristine beaches - but we off-load our gas from tankers which makes ours as cheap as it gets. Sometimes.

PS. Star Fuels of OKLAHO-Shell was $3.26 yesterday. Per Mapquest
See www.mapquest.com...

[edit on 8/1/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Assuming that the election is a close run to the polls for a moment . Bear with me hear for a second. In 2005 Labour and Helen Clark won a narrow election victory by using the policy of writing off interest on student loans and the fear of some of the right more unpopular policy's to bring people to the polls that wouldn't have voted otherwise . This is what Obama should aim to do with the element of the US population that doesn't have health insurance that is assuming they have no interest in voting .

Even if the election isnt that close Obama would still benefit from a mandate for his policy's .

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
How likely is it that Senator McCain is suffering from the Bob Dole effect? the McCain strategy seems out of touch. that's disappointing, since the Obama camp has made so very many mistakes. What says the rest of you?

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Assume that the election is a close run to the polls for a moment. Bear with me here for a second. In ‘05 Labour and Helen Clark won a narrow election victory [in NZ] by using the policy of writing off interest on student loans and [raising] the fear of some of the right [wing’s] more unpopular policies to bring people to the polls that wouldn't have voted otherwise.

If I was running the Dems campaign, I’d have a number of ads ready to run on November 1, 2, 3 and 4. Yes, on Election Day too. Those ads would juxtapose on the tv screen old Bush43 “sayings” and current McCain positions, equivocations or oblique endorsements. For 15 seconds. Then close with a 5 second picture of Obama, Michele and their 2 girls, asking for your vote to CHANGE Washington and give Americans HOPE!

This is what Obama should aim to do with the element of the US population that doesn't have health insurance that is assuming they have no interest in voting. Even if the election isn’t that close Obama would still benefit from a mandate for his policy's.

Right TWO times Mr X11! If he needs their vote, he could “tap” them. If he doesn’t need the votes - hey, what’s this? Every vote is needed - but if they fall low on the priority list and then if they do vote, it is true that will enhance his hand in the (scary) HEALTH CARE REFORM we will get in ‘09. We cannot get a health care reform in any election year ‘08, ‘10 or ‘12.

This is why I urge a 10 man HEALTH CARE COMMISSION to draft an UP or DOWN recommendation to Congress. Otherwise we are kilt before we start.

The Commission. 4 practicing health care providers. At least 15 years face-to-face care giving. 1 representative of the ethical pharmaceutical industry. 1 progressive insurance person. 1 career Medicare payment expert. 1 professor of demographics from a large well regarded university. 1 expert in genetics or diet. 1 administrator of a large hospital known for its charity work. And balanced with 50% male/female. 20% black, 20% Hispanic, 10% Asian and NA. 50% white. 20% poor. 20% rich. A good cross-section of America.

A senior staff of 10 to 15 by areas to be covered in the reform. A secondary level of sub staff of 30-40 to do the research, background and computer modeling. Not TOO large to get the job done. Power to call 50-100 expert witnesses. And MANDATED to call at least 20 system administrators from Foreign Countries. We need their testimony to keep the Commission HONEST!

Task them to report in 45 days how they have structured the working bodies of the Commission. No names, just a organizational chart. Then 60 days later, an up-date on progress. Finally, to furnish a preliminary report in 180 days. After a period of commentary, the Commission would submit a final recommendations in 9 months. A pregnant period! If nature can make a whole human being in 270 days, then surely we can make a system reform in a like period?

Oh, if 5 members agree any one member is more an obstructionist than a contributor, a secret vote of the 10 would be taken to remove and replace that member. Nobody is going to screw up our ONE chance to get it done.

[edit on 8/4/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Justin Oldham

The McCain strategy seems out of touch. that's disappointing, since the Obama camp has made so very many mistakes. What says the rest of you?

Yes J/O, I agree Obama has made some miscues. Mostly small ones so far. Right now I'm worried he exhibits overconfidence bordering on hubris. He must back off and take the more humble attitude of a modern Mohammad, he is but the MESSENGER of the Good News! Well, not Mohammad, maybe the Roman god Mercury?

Hey, I’m old. We have a very difficult time keeping up with the times. We old people talk to other old people. We look fondly back to the good old days. We forget what was unpleasant then and exaggerate what was good. It’s no wonder he and Dole were out of touch with the times. Hillary was more like me than she would like to admit. Bill OTOH, seems to stay young. Like Bush Sr. I think they do challenging things whereas being a senator must be samo samo day in and day out. (Note my fluent Korean?) Shucks if it was not for Spell Check I could not spell Millennium Generation not to say understand them.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I understand htat older peole have a hard time staying current. I'm 43 and there are a lot of things that I simply ignore in the modern world. If I need to know, I will go and look it up.

McCain is not an orator, and it shows. Part ofwhat is tripping him up is the fact taht he's had to change so many of his positions. Obama has the same problems. How do you remember it all?

It's worth noting that everyone who ran for President had to change their tune about something during this campaign season. I don't think the average viewer appreciates this as much as they should. McCain and Obama are both creatures "of the poll." As the wind blows, so do they.

Let's be clear on just one thing. The days are gone when a politician can hae just one position on an issue. Now, the ambitious man or woamn must admit to a hange of mind nad move on. Neither of these two candidates have leanred how to do this very well.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

. . older people have a hard time staying current. I'm 43 and there are a lot of things I simply ignore in the modern world. McCain is not an orator and it shows. Part of what is tripping him up is the fact that he's had to change so many of his positions. It's worth noting that everyone who ran for President had to change their tune about something. McCain and Obama are both creatures "of the poll." As the wind blows, so do they.

I suppose polling is the No. 2 expense item? I’d guess both sides are polling in PA, OH, MI and maybe FL once or twice a week? Two parts of polling are critical. 1) Writing the question that does not suggest a response. 2) Ramdon selection of subjects. I guess a computer program could do number 2 but it would still take humans to do number 1.

In the case of unexpected and momentous events the voters expect changes in position, but on long standing issues, they tend to be less ambivalent sensing the candidate is either pandering or plainly demagoging.

Let's be clear on one thing. The days are gone when a politician can have just one position on an issue. Now, the ambitious man or woman must admit to a change of mind and move on. Neither of these two candidates have learned how to do this very well.

I attribute this 99% to the media. It is apparent to me that the media get more mileage out of controversy than they ever would with two candidates agreeing on a sensitive subject. It ought to be against the LAW for a reporter to have more words in his preface to the question than in the question itself. The media have forsaken the trust put in them that justifies the First Amendment. If we had a decent Supreme Court that too could be fixed.

[edit on 8/4/2008 by donwhite]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Paris Hilton's response video really did make me laugh. She made a good pint, and managed to zing both candidates. "Change" as we know it is itself undergoing a metamorphosis.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Paris Hilton's response video really did make me laugh. She made a good pint, and managed to zing both candidates.

Q. Is Paris old enough to be Vice President? I know TWO guys who are looking for one.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
So far as I know, Paris Hilton is in her mid 20's. I could be wrongabout that, but I don't believe that she is yet 30 years old.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

My information is that Paris Hilton is 27 years old. I liked her video response to McCain's video. Supposedly her mother has donated to McCain.

Does anyone expect Hillary and Bill to misbehave at the Democratic convention this month?

[edit on 8/12/2008 by TheAvenger]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
How likely is it that Senator McCain is suffering from the Bob Dole effect? the McCain strategy seems out of touch. that's disappointing, since the Obama camp has made so very many mistakes. What says the rest of you?

No. McCain has as good or better strategists than Obama. I believe that the the real election battle will begin after the conventions are over. I'm sure we're in for many surprises on both sides of the aisle.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAvenger
Does anyone expect Hillary and Bill to misbehave at the Democratic convention this month?

Such an event is hardly impossible but realistically what could she hope to achieve ?

On another matter I in no way condone Edwards actions but in political terms he made the right call when he admitted his affair . Now that he has fronted up to his wrong doings the dog can no longer relentlessly go after the bone . IMO Edwards has kept his VP chances alive .

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
That gurgling noise you hear is the sinking of Edwards political career. I still think its going to hurt Obama that he stayed on vacation while this thing with Georgia blew up. I'm wondering what is taking the GOP so long to nail him with it. There are days when I just don't think the republicans are in this thing to win.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

Originally posted by TheAvenger

On another matter I in no way condone Edwards actions but in political terms he made the right call when he admitted his affair . Now that he has fronted up to his wrong doings the dog can no longer relentlessly go after the bone . IMO Edwards has kept his VP chances alive .

Let's be honest about it. Edwards copped to the affair after the National Enquirer had him backed against the wall. He lied about it at first and likely still continues to lie about the bastard child not being his. There is no honor in admitting that you have been caught lying.

J.O. has it right: John Edwards political career is finished.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I've been busy with otehr things, but I do have a question for all of you. As you know, John McCain has been out on the campaign trail, making statements about the Georgian crisis . Barack Obama has been on vacation. Is that vacation going to hurt canddiate Obama, or will it actualy help him?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
I've been busy with otehr things, but I do have a question for all of you. As you know, John McCain has been out on the campaign trail, making statements about the Georgian crisis . Barack Obama has been on vacation. Is that vacation going to hurt canddiate Obama, or will it actualy help him?

Maybe George Clooney can give Obama some advice on the Georgia affair.

I'm sure rednecks everywhere are arming themselves to defend Atlanta from the Ruskies.

I don't know that this crisis and Obama's apparent lack of interest in it will make much difference in the overall scheme of things. I'm sure that the radical lefties have already decided that the PTB have hired the Russians to start a war in order to scare people into voting Republican in November. Bush did it. He is responsible for all thats bad in the world after all.

[edit on 8/15/2008 by TheAvenger]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

It might if McCain stopped putting his foot in his mouth and chewing vigorously.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Hello Avenger and Grover. I was hoping to see John McCain make a better showing in this crisis. This one sems ready made for him, and he should be acting like an elder Stateman. In stead, he's just acting like acranky old guy who can't seem to avoid putting his foot in his mouth.

As I understand it, Barack Obam is ending his vacation today. The GOP has failed utterly to make the most of his absnece. I can only hope that his return to the campaign will somehow light a fire under McCain. If not, we're just gonna have to hope that somebody on McCain's team has a sudden flash of enlightenment.

What heppens when the Democrats have congress and the white house? I'm thinking that Russia will be quite bold. Has American power declined so much that they are no longer afraid of us?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Obama remaining on holiday is hardly presidential like . One can only hope that he stayed away because his position is in line with the current admin rather then this being a taste of what is coming if Obama is elected . Obama could have been on a working holiday somewhat like when Bush goes to his ranch . Still as Justin has said in politics perception is everything .

One last thing of note Russia is now competing with the US and the rest of the world at the same game capitalism . Now that the Bear is regaining some of its pride the rules of the game have very much changed . It is clear that the former Soviet block countries are looking for a counter to Russian influence . The next president will have to chart away forward that focuses equally on fostering new democracy's and crucially preserving current ones .

We are already seeing the effects of to much focus being put on the Iraq misadventure and not enough on those who want the US help to preserve the newly found democratic way of lives .

[edit on 16-8-2008 by xpert11]

new topics

top topics

<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join