It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinton? Obama? or Edwards? Who Will It Be?

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
After spending a few hours surfing the usual sources, I'm convinced that she's going to stay in the race. There are several motives that she might have.

1. There's always the gambler's hope that, in spite of long odds to the contrary, Obama will make some earth-shattering mistake.

2. She's just being stubborn, and wants to prove that she can finish the race.

3. She wants to force Obama to give her the VP, when they go to the convention.

By staying in the race, she creates a perception that she can use in 2012. Who's gonna want to fight...that?

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
1. There's always the gambler's hope that, in spite of long odds to the contrary, Obama will make some earth-shattering mistake.

There are two factors at work here . The first is that Hillary and Obama may not be tearing each to threads as much as appearances give. The second thing of note is given that Obama survived his history with Wright he would have to make something beyond a colossal blunder to bomb out at this stage.

2. She's just being stubborn, and wants to prove that she can finish the race.

Since Hillary has already proven that she is a viable candidate there is no rational reason for her to do this that is unless the dems are only running the race in order to keep the Republicans guessing .

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Senator Clinton's options may be as follows:

1. Stay in the race to cripple Obama, ensuring that he loses to Hohn McCain. McCain would be a one term Presdient, which would pave the way for her run in 2012.

2. Stay in the race so that she can be sure to get the VP not for her party. Serving as VP would enhance her chances of being Presient in the future.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I have a question.
Can anybody come up with a good reason as to why Clinton should drop out of the race at this time or any time before the convention ?

As I have said I cant come up with a reason as to why Clinton should drop out of the race.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
I have a question.
Can anybody come up with a good reason as to why Clinton should drop out of the race at this time or any time before the convention ?

Some "good" reasons may include the following:

1. Preservation of Democratic party unity

The theory is that Senator Clinton's continued campaign is dividing the party. The assertion is that she will be fondly remembered for a graceful departure from '08 race.

2. Preservation of the Clinton "brand"

The theory is that that Senator Clinton ruins her good name by continuing a bitterly fought contest. I'm sure Don remembers the Kennedy-Carter feud that many still say gave Ronald Reagan the edge in November of 1979. If Senator Clinton were to stand down gracefully, she might be remembered well for it...which could...improve her chances in 2012.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Keep in mind that Clinton is VERY popular with the middle-aged female voters who were also a huge part of the women's movement. They believe in her, and I believe that she genuinely sees herself as a representative of those women and all that they have fought for. Obama probably feels the same way about the black people who are supporting him. But even with things looking as grim as they do, for Hillary to give up would be tantamount to saying that she believes that a woman should not or cannot be president. She will never do that.

Unfortunately, she's done some things that have severely hurt her chances in this race, and I don't think she can bounce back from that. I was an Edwards supporter from the start, and I wish that he were still in the forefront. At this point, I'm somewhat disenchanted with the whole process because I don't trust any of the three in the spotlight now.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Today, on all the political talk shows that I monitor, the question was finally asked about Senator Clinton and the VP slot on the Dem's ticket. We've been talking about that in this thread for at least six motnsh. Will she take it?

There are two possibilities, which I have maintained. She will force Obama to give it to her, or she won't take it if offered.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Justin Oldham

It looks like we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one . In my mind at least the damage has already been done in terms of party unity . Once the dam has burst it is to late to stop the flood . I do admit that you have something of a point concerning Hillary reputation her staying in the race could be seen as a desperate ploy for power . Although I would have thought that someone would have said that outside of democratic circles Hillary didn't have a great reputation to start with .

Despite what Limbaugh says on air IMO the Republican brain trust would want Hillary to drop out so they have a better idea of who they will be up against come November .

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Okay, then. Let's move on to another question. WHO does Obama pick for his running mate IF he does NOT pick Senator Clinton?

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
Okay, then. Let's move on to another question. WHO does Obama pick for his running mate IF he does NOT pick Senator Clinton?

Well if I am not mistaken we have covered that topic already on this thread. But in case I am wrong I will give a brief outline of my thoughts .

Now assuming that Obama wins his party noimantion the answer to your question is of course Bill Richardson . Richardson would bring his experience as governor to the ticket and be a counter to McCain play for the Latino vote . Also the Clinton Stigma would be removed from Obama bid for the presidency .

Richardson is who I am picking to claim the VP slot that is if Hillary isnt putting the squeeze on already.

[edit on 11-5-2008 by xpert11]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I think that he should pick Edwards. Of course, that's because I like Edwards, but it's also because the media has done an excellent job of making him out to be an elitist. They have very little to paint Edwards in a similar light, and I think that Edwards would help to bring Obama back down to earth. Edwards also doesn't seem to have as much baggage as some of the other candidates (though I'm sure that the republicans would work very hard to find some dirt).

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Obama as a Presidential Canidate is a joke. I don't know how some of you Obamabots ever started believing in this guy's BS.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Every candidate has flaws. Obama is no exception. He's a rookie who managed to make it on to the national stage for a long list of reasons. We're not realy that concerned with who supports whom, or for what reasons. We're having a serious talk about the chances theyse people have to get elected.

I'm not for Obama, but I do have to admit that he has a commanding lead inthe polls, at this time. Senator Clinton's campaign is pretty much done, but she's going to play out her hand for her own reasons. Does Jhn McCain have a real chance to defeat Obama in November? That depends on a lot of things that haven't happened yet.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
West Virginia's primary is well under way. What are your thoughts? I'm of hte opinion that Senator Clinton has decided that half a loaf is better than none. I think she's going to play out her hand, with the intent of forcing Obama ti make her his running mate.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by donwhite

I hope it's not Obama or Clinton or McCain... I vote for Ron Paul, cause he's a Libertarian! This country doesn't revolve only around Republicans and Democrats... it's a shame no one sees outside the box these days.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Some day, we might see a higher vote count for the Libertarians. If they could run a national-level candidate with enough backing--somebody with a lot of charisma and money--we could see a real change. Until that happens...

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I noticed you left McCain out of your title. Did you do this because you wanted us to bring up the fact that McCain is going to win?

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The only way I can see McCain winning is if Nader splits the democratic vote like he usually does. Ugh!

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quarantine
I noticed you left McCain out of your title. Did you do this because you wanted us to bring up the fact that McCain is going to win?

This thread has bee mostly about who gets the Democratic party's nomination for the Presidency. We still talk about Senator McCain. So far, the consensus opinion is that he won't beat the Dems in November.

If you have a different point of view, please share it. Everybody's welcome to this conversation.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Justin Oldham

After spending a few hours surfing the usual sources, I'm convinced that she's going to stay in the race. There are several motives that she might have. 1. There's always the gambler's hope that, in spite of long odds to the contrary, Obama will make some earth-shattering mistake. 2. She's just being stubborn, and wants to prove that she can finish the race. 3. She wants to force Obama to give her the VP, when they go to the convention. By staying in the race, she creates a perception that she can use in 2012. Who's gonna want to fight...that?

I have argued Hillary would not accept the #2 slot. I did that in part because as we all "know" she is a lightning rod for backward looking GOP types. When Obama becomes the party's nominee - an historical moment for ALL Americans including those antiblack Republicans - and notice I say WHEN and not IF - he will want a running mate who can ADD to the vote count, NOT detract from it. So now I must concur with J/O, who has great perception in political matters and he has proven it before.

Hillary as No. 1 can defend herself, but as No. 2, it would be up to Obama to defend her which is not easy to do. He will have a great weight to carry - all the Reagan Republicans will vote WHITE - so he needs a UNITER and not a DIVIDER. X11 and I agree that the best choice would be NM’s governor, Bill Richardson.

And now, good news bad news. Racism reared its ugly head - again. What helped Obama in South Carolina “killed” him in West “By God” Virginia. If you have ever heard of “sundown” towns, then you’ll understand when I say WV is a “sundown” state. Hillary polled 240,000 votes to Obama’s 90,000 votes. Voting approximately along racial lines. Skin color was their major deciding factor. No surprises there.

Missouri voted as was expected. Obama carried MO by 405,000 to Hillary’s 395,000 votes. About as close to a dead heat as you’re likely to get with 800,000 votes to count. Don’t forget that MO was a “border” state with southern leanings in the 1861-1865 disputation. Aside: there are 13 stars in the notorious Stars and Bars flag. But only 11 Confederate states. The 12th and 13th stars were put there in expectation (or in forlorn hope) that KY and MO would join up. KY was a major player then. KY by itself possessed as much heavy industry as all the other 11 Confederate states combined. End.

So now we await Oregon with its mail-in primary and Puerto Rico. Anyone can predict Obama to carry Oregon and Hillary to carry PR. Margins? I’m guessing 60/40 in OR and 51/49 in PR. Why such a slim Hillary margin in PR? Because plus for her is that PR tends to be conservative. Minus for her is that PR has little or no regard for skin color. OR on the other hand, is a more liberal state and will feel very comfortable with Obama at the top of the Dems ticket.

[edit on 05/05/2008 by donwhite]

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join