It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion in midtown Manhattan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Breaking news..

Skynews/CNN:

Reports of an explosion that has resulted in a building has collapsed. Apparently the explosion has occurred near grand central station.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Wow, I'm in NYC and haven't heard anything yet, I'll go try and check local sources.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
im scanning all channels too... stand by.

Calling a friend in MH Ny.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Found something, doesn't look like anything nefarious:

abclocal.go.com...

(New York - WABC, June 18, 2007) - The FDNY confirms to Eyewitness News that there was a large transformer explosion in Midtown Wednesday evening.

It's happening at 41st Street between Third and Lexington Avenues. Officials say several streets around the area are now being evacuated.

Eyewitness News has learned that the transformer explosion has created a four-alarm fire. Fire crews are at the scene. We are told one person was injured.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 7/18/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
FOX just said something about it in a FOX News Alert, they said some wire services were saying a building collapsed but they were unable to independently verify that.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
A transformer is not going to cause a building to collapse...
If a building collapsed, then we are talking about a bomb..

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Well it's around Grand Central Station, so we're not talking about ordinary transformers, but those that provide power for both subways and commuter trains. I wouldn't be surprised if a catastrophic explosion from some of that equipment could cause at least some type of collapse.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
BBC news24 are saying that there are reports of a transformer explosion, a manhole explosion and that that has lead to a building collapse.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karilla
BBC news24 are saying that there are reports of a transformer explosion, a manhole explosion and that that has lead to a building collapse.

A transformer, I don't care what kind it is, is not going to cause a building to collapse. IF a building collapsed, we are talking about an explosive device.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
ABC now says its a steam explosion.

Breaking news

STEAM EXPLOSION TOUCHES OFF MAJOR FIRE IN MIDTOWN MANHATTAN; PRELIMINARY REPORTS SAY INCIDENT NOT TERRORISM-RELATED

CX

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

A transformer, I don't care what kind it is, is not going to cause a building to collapse. IF a building collapsed, we are talking about an explosive device.

Not everythings a terror attack.......gas leaks can rip a whole row of houses apart.

CX.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
CNN has a 1 min video up. Its java script, so I cant link it directly.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karilla

Hmmm....

Does this means in about twenty minutes we can expect a building to collapse?

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
put it on skynews, if you are in the UK

live pictures from New York...

quite a powerful explosion...steam everywhere.

it ripped the road apart.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
US Govt: Explosion from electric transformer. It was an accident.

(but others are saying a pipe burst)

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Must not be too major...been watching Foxnews for 30 minutes now and havent seen anything about it.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Strange manhole explosions happen all the time in NYC, I know because I live here

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Building collapse?
Well, they just don't build them like they used to.

Why do they call it a building when it is already built?

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Its hot as hell here today guys..this happens a lot in NYC. We have manhole covers that blow 30 feet in the air this time of year from electrical fires so to say transformers don't explode is ridiculous. If its underground and pipes burst that carry the natural gas this city uses for cooking and heating..its going to explode.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join