It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary Player Says Steroid Use Has Come to Golf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Personally, I don't think that this is a widespread problem, but there's no reason to believe that some golfer won't or hasn't sought to enhance his performance with drugs.

The best thing for golfing associations to do is to institute drug testing now, before it gets out of hand.

CARNOUSTIE, Scotland -- Gary Player said Wednesday he knows of at least one golfer who has used steroids, and he urged golf organizations to move quickly toward a random drug-testing plan.

"We're dreaming if we think it's not going to come into golf," Player said.

/2gl9cu

[edit on 2007/7/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
It would not surprise me at all. My take on steroids always been that guys are going to take the advantage however way they see fit, for some guys is more practice rounds, for other is practice rounds and some steroids, is really up to the person, and this pro athletes that want to make a living doing what they love are more prone to this than any other profession known.

Also Tiger Woods has set the bar so high for all of this guys, that for them is hard to keep up.

[edit on 18-7-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Im sure there are a very select few that take steriods.. but generally golfers arent in the best shape. I really dont see any overly muscled golfers, and having too much muscle really hinders the whole mechanics of your swing.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
I really dont see any overly muscled golfers...

You don't now, but if something isn't done then there's no telling how it will turn out. I don't envision golfers who look like middle linebackers or Awnald, but if it's not checked, and the young golfers start using them, in ten years it could be a big problem.

The best thing to do is to test.

Golf may be the last sport with an ounce of class. I'd hate to see it spoiled the way baseball, football, and baskeball have, not just from steroids, but from the scum who have crept into the sports.

[edit on 2007/7/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I'll buy this. Most of the players that get suspended in baseball are pitchers. Most of them aren't big so I could see golfers doing it.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Yep! Before you know it players will be going all Happy Gilmore and beating the crap outta spectators for so much as farting when the take a shot...

... "And earlier today John Daly pulled off a man's leg and putted with it for a bogey 6!"

"That's terrible Jim."

"Your right Bob: it very nearly spoiled a good round!"

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Imagine Golf becoming a power sport and seeing people hitting 500 yard shots?!? Ill tell you, it will def give a boost to the ratings.... and in the end isnt that really what its all about?!?

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I said in another thread, look at Tiger's cranium. Hell, look at his whole physique!

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
Imagine Golf becoming a power sport and seeing people hitting 500 yard shots?!?

I think what you're seeing now is about the maximum yardage, even with steroids, you're going to see until a new kind of metal for drivers is approved by the USGA. Or they could approve a new maximum shaft length.

Edit: BTW, you drive for show and putt for the dough. Longer's not always better, especially when you factor in the accuracy of those long drives.

Peace

[edit on 20-7-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I just don't see how steroids would help a golfer that much. Driving is all very well and good, but as Dr. Love pointed out, your short game is so much more important. That's where you make your money.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The real effect is irrelevant.

It's the perceived effect and with megabucks involved, some people become irrational.

The best course in my view is to test.

JbT

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The real effect is irrelevant.

It's the perceived effect and with megabucks involved, some people become irrational.

The best course in my view is to test.

Well Put!

Sooner than later, all professional sports will be testing. Golf might just have the take the financial hit and start a testing program.

The only argument that I can see coming up is that, for the return they would receive, it might not be worth it financially to take on that burden.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Place the burden on the pros. If they want to compete, they have to prove they're clean. Ultimately, it will be the sponsors and the consumers who will pay the costs, but it would be worth it.

No one even remotely interested in golf should want to see what has happened to other sports happen to golf. If that means paying ten cents more for a golf ball, then so what.

Personally, I think the economic effect would be less than that.

[edit on 2007/7/20 by GradyPhilpott]

top topics

join