It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Megaflood Created Great Divide Between Britain and France

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Yahoo Link

About 450,000 years ago, a "megaflood" breached a giant natural dam near the Dover strait and began the formation of the English Channel , according to a study detailed in the July 19 issue of the journal Nature. Following this first disastrous flood, a second deluge finished the job.

Im just curious but what could cause a flood that big? Is this a noahs flood type of deal or just icecaps melting? Maybe this is what happened to Atlantis or maybe there was a Noahs flood.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Though most cultures have a flood myth, geologic study has not discovered any one flood that covered the entire earth, all at the same time. Now ice caps, that sounds possible. Also meteor strikes or earthquakes. It is possible that people expierenced this flood, and through generations of oral tradition, it evolved into the modern day flood theory.

Then again I was not there, so I guess I really don't know what happened.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
www.newsvine.com...

Is probably a better link regarding the mechanics of the flood, for those who are curious.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
Im just curious but what could cause a flood that big? Is this a noahs flood type of deal or just icecaps melting? Maybe this is what happened to Atlantis or maybe there was a Noahs flood.

From what I understand it was'nt a single flood, rather two large ones that caused it,
though the first one is apparently more responsible than the secondary one.
The floods themselves seem to have been caused by a natural dam breaking and a
very large fresh water lake/sea flowing through the area.

This would'nt be the flood that the Noah story is based on for two reasons though,
the first being because it happened hundreds of thousands of years before civilization in the
modern sense existed and secondly because the Noah story and the regional flood it
was most likely on was in the Middle-East, not North-Western Europe.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I saw this earlier today and I love learning new historical evidence of planetary evolution on Earth or anywhere else.

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
the photo reminds me of a small place that i saw last summer in belize (key caulker):
during a storm a surge bursted through and created "the gap". (nice little current that can carry you away)

posted on Jul, 28 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Cool! Same thing happen couple years ago when Hurricane Charley hit south Florida.

This is Captiva Island, I live about 30 miles from here. This used to be one island, upper captiva island. Actually this is the second time Captiva has been broken. Happen years ago from another hurricane.

[edit on 28-7-2007 by earth2]

top topics

join