It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden Water may End The Darfur Crisis!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Hidden Water may End The Darfur Crisis!

news.yahoo.com

BOSTON - Scientists have discovered the underground remnants of an ancient lake in Sudan's arid Darfur region, offering hope of tapping a precious resource and easing water scarcity, which experts say is the root of much of the unrest in the region.

The researchers hope to drill at least 1,000 wells in the dusty territory and pump the long-hidden water to ease tensions among communities living there — and strengthen efforts to restore peace in Darfur.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
This is way fascinating. An ancient lake found underground, roughly the size of Massachusettes. Considering water is a major factor in the crisis, could this miracle bring an end to the bloodshed? I sure hope so!

Any thoughts?

AAC

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
AAC, this conflict is about more than just water. Its a dispute between cattle herders (migrants) and farmers (sedentary peoples).

The herders want to be able to bring their cattle and goats anywhere they want, and the sedentary people have crops everywhere which the animals eat and trample.

Not to mention the migrants tend to be Muslims while the sedentary are Christian and other religions (animism).

Water will greatly help the conflict for sure. This is a great find, but it won't solve any problems...

Sorry for the pessimism...but life is such sometimes.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Biggie, you got to crawl before you walk, right?

I was under the impression that the nomadic herders were traveling so much because of scarce waters. With the 1000 wells, perhaps they will be able to navigate their intrusions more considerately. Again, I am asking alot, but I do hope those regional people are ready for a change. At least that is what I'm sending out there.

AAC

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I don't think it will end the conflict, but it is excellent news. Water is key.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
This topic was also first posted here

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   

A vast underground lake that scientists hoped could help to end violence in Sudan's Darfur region probably dried up thousands of years ago, an expert says. Alain Gachet, who used satellite images and radar in his research, said the area received too little rain and had the wrong rock types for water storage. But the French geologist said there was enough water elsewhere in Darfur to end the fighting and rebuild the economy. Analysts say competition for resources such as water is behind the unrest. More than 200,000 Darfuris have died and two million fled their homes since 2003.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source

It figures. Something as simple but as precious as water could have really made a difference. The situation there is so unfortunate, that even good news ends up as false hope.

This scientist does admit there may be a slight chance there could be underground water. Hopefully the water is there.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
Biggie, you got to crawl before you walk, right?

I was under the impression that the nomadic herders were traveling so much because of scarce waters. With the 1000 wells, perhaps they will be able to navigate their intrusions more considerately. Again, I am asking alot, but I do hope those regional people are ready for a change. At least that is what I'm sending out there.

AAC

Great points! I feel a little more educated about the Darfur crisis. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Let's hope for the best! It would sure be nice if a best-case scenario played out. We're overdue for some good news.

top topics

join