It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professors in Colorado Recieve Death Threats for Teaching Evolution

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
majormalfunction, what supposed "facts" of evolution do you speak of?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I took a while to get back on topic, please don't cause another digression. If you want facts of evolution, try the thousands of scientific articles in the hundreds of scientific journals.

Originally posted by Clearskies
Did you ever make a bomb threat to your school to get out of going? Chances are you know someone who did.

No and No.

I remember some fool being punished for setting fire alarms off for a similar reason.

People get disgusted at only one viewpoint being considered to be taught to young people and they may resort to childishness.

I hear the holocaust deniers think the same about history lessons.

Evolution is taught within a science classroom. It is a fundamental part of biology. If you want to teach your child creation myths as biological fact, then there is nothing stopping you doing this at home.

The science classroom is home to science.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin

People get disgusted at only one viewpoint being considered to be taught to young people and they may resort to childishness.

I hear the holocaust deniers think the same about history lessons.

Evolution is taught within a science classroom. It is a fundamental part of biology. If you want to teach your child creation myths as biological fact, then there is nothing stopping you doing this at home.

The science classroom is home to science.
Let's not forget the HUGE role evolution played in Hitler's education and extermination of those with handicaps. Evolution is pushed even harder on the chinese today. Why do you think there was such a rush for those fake fossils??? To please Hu Jintau, perhaps and get money. Evolutionary "evidence" much of the time is fraudulent, yet still DOGMA with many today. The evolution chart of the horse is one. One of the oldest predecesors is still alive today. Google Hyrax. And the fossil record? They date those fossils by the rocks contained therein, but they date the rocks by the fossils! Oh yes C.S.I. would be proud.What proof for evolution is there that isn't based on Fraud or mistake? None!!! Have a good day, seriously.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I concur that Creationism should not be presented as a scientific theory, but rather as a theological hypothesis or belief. I also concur that Evolution Theory is scientific and should be presented as resting on sound scientific evidence and experimentation. I suggest a compromise as well, however. That compromise is, simply, the notion that both of these seemingly contradictory outlooks exist and will likely persist in human civilization and culture, and that they are thus both relevant to society, regardless of their individual accuracy.

It would be interesting if schools one day decided to comprehensively expose students to every scrap or information pertaining to every subject under the sun, including every viewpoint, the objective history of those viewpoints, the objective histories of the cultures and peoples who held or still hold those viewpoints, and the evidence or lack thereof for them. That should satisfy most, since the overwhelming bulk of real data and evidence would still rest within the realm of science, while the remaining viewpoints would be presented merely as beliefs - which is what they are - but without bias with regard to what "reality" actually consists of.

Given that existentialism and other philosophical quandaries are taught and debated in universities all over the world, I have never understood why this sort of an approach to academia would be problematic, so long as clear distinctions are made between evidence and belief. After all, these beliefs, whether correct or not, are part of human civilization and culture, and thus an education pertaining to them, so long as it is accurate and distinct, falls within the category of "knowledge," the obtainment of which is the reason for studying anything in the first place... is it not? This is, of course, only a personal opinion.

[edit on 7/25/2007 by AceWombat04]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Let's not forget the HUGE role evolution played in Hitler's education and extermination of those with handicaps.

Lets not forget that role christian anti-semitism played in Hitler et al's education and extermination of those of the Jewish faith.

If you want to talk about the validity of evolutionary theory, there is a subforum dedicated to that cause.

[edit on 25-7-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Hitlers' Christianity was as genuine as fools' gold. Anyone could join the catholic church. Anyone could join the church I go to as well, but after awhile, our preacher would see your fruit and take you aside for discussion. If you continued being evil, he would quit your fellowship. That didn't happen with Hitler, because his ambitions and that of (pope gregory is it?) were mutually agreeable. You could "believe" in voudoo and be baptised into the roman catholic church as long as you recieved the sacraments. Ceremony and true conversion are world's apart!!! How many true christians were killed for protecting the evolutional "inferiors"? Women like Corrie Ten Boom and countless others !!!

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   

How many true christians were killed for protecting the evolutional "inferiors"? Women like Corrie Ten Boom and countless others !!!

You do know that you're using the 'no true scotsman' fallacy?

My point was not that Hitler was a christian, but that he used the writings of christians, like Martin Luther, to support his actions.

Are you saying that evolution suggests Jews are inferior?

I know that christians have been spreading anti-semitism since the early church, but I don't see it in ToE. Where does it say that Jews are inferior in the claim of descent with modification and common descent?

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
What happened with "The Separation of Church and State????

Since when do religious Bible Thumpers tell schools what they can teach and what they can't????

These idiots deserve the worst insult I can manage; they are acting like ignorant, radical Muslims!!!!!!!!!!!

NUFF SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   

You do know that you're using the 'no true scotsman' fallacy?

What is that?

My point was not that Hitler was a christian, but that he used the writings of christians, like Martin Luther, to support his actions.

Martin Luther wasn't anti-semitic until later in his life. Way after he started coming against rome. What other "christians" do you mean?

Are you saying that evolution suggests Jews are inferior?
I know that christians have been spreading anti-semitism since the early church, but I don't see it in ToE. Where does it say that Jews are inferior in the claim of descent with modification and common descent?

I'm not egotistical to think something like that. Although Hitler did. He used his propaganda of evolutionary race status. Studying skull "evolution" and the like. Let's also not forget about Lenin, Marx and Stalin. They highly espoused evolution! Not just threats there!!! The High Roman Catholic Church, while apologising to Jews still maintains the same dogma.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   

What is that?

Basically stating that christians do x, and that if a christian does anti-x then he is not a true christian.

Martin Luther wasn't anti-semitic until later in his life. Way after he started coming against rome. What other "christians" do you mean?

Doesn't matter when he was, he was. And Hitler found his work useful to vilify the jews.

Anti-semitism goes back to the earliest days of organised christianity, with the likes of Justin Martyr.

I'm not egotistical to think something like that. Although Hitler did. He used his propaganda of evolutionary race status. Studying skull "evolution" and the like. Let's also not forget about Lenin, Marx and Stalin. They highly espoused evolution! Not just threats there!!! The High Roman Catholic Church, while apologising to Jews still maintains the same dogma.

I don't deny that Hitler felt the Jews inferior. I hope by now you can see that Hitler used whatever was available to acheive his aims, whether it be science or religion.

The soviet state actually taught a Lamarckian style of evolution, which was based on the teachings of Lysencko. They didn't teach Darwin's theory.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 25-7-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Looks like we might be able to add anti-semitism to Michael Korn's list of favoured pastimes:

but in my experience, Jews like you who oppose Creationism received plenty of hebraic education in your youths and even believe in the Genesis account. your support of Darwin is simply a ploy to emasculate Christianity, while leaving Judaism to reign supreme.

I get e-mail from Michael Korn

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Death threats from hardcore Christians? I could not imagine a more contradictory state of affairs. And yet we "spread democracy" in the land of those who we are now no better than.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I get e-mail from Michael Korn

Wow. That man needs some serious anti-psychotic medication. That is in no way a healthy or normal human being talking.

It's not that he's a religious extremist, that's just his mask. He's insane. I don't know if I can blame Christianity for his behavior any more than I can tolerate someone saying that Stalin's being an atheist means that millions died for atheism.

A nut is a nut, doesn't matter what their fixation is.

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where they found a skeleton shaped as an angel. This started the science vs. religion debate. When the angry mob went to destroy the museum of natural history, one of T-rex' bones fell on Moe the bartender. What did he say?

"Ow my body... I just hope medical science can cure me".

my question to the people who see science as evil or do not believe in evolution, would you take your sick child to a doctor or would you pray instead? I find that most people, do both....

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Isn't it funny how Evolution has genetic mutations occuring randomly. AD hypothesises that God had something to do with this. Problem is, coz we can't know the mind of God, when we are trying to model the mutations, they are modelled as random. AD is a non argument scientifically, it is a statement of Faith. Can't say I agree with AD, but if you believe in it, not one equation changes.

[edit on 30-7-2007 by redled]

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
crazy fanatics...
things which could end the world

1. religion
2. science
3. nuclear weapons
4. alien invasion
5. we are all sleeping and in a dream.

how i hate extremist .... and fanatics. suicide bombing, evolution, creatism... where people go 2 far and try to kill eachother. When the cracked hieroglyphics the churches were outraged because it proves that civillization have survived the great flood. how i hate this world some times.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Christians tend to have this holier than thou;I'm right you're wrong kind of attitude all the time which is the most annoying thing about them. At best its an annoying arrogance but at worst its this kind of fanatical retardation that threatens rational adult thinking in our world. Dont they realise they are being completely hypocritical in sending death threats when supposedly Jesus was about love and Christians are supposed to obey the 10 commandments? Shows how lacking in brain cells most fundamental Christians are. And about evolution just because a theory does not mean it has not been proven. Whoever posted a bit up there about 'fear not, soon they will not be able to teach this in schools because its illegal to teach lies' is either very naive or just plain brainwashed. good luck negating the downward spiral this country seems to be in in regards to IQ. Its people like that who are dragging this country down. Why? Because we are supposed to be about free speech, and last time I checked evolution wasn't threatening death to people. But Christians are? ! How surprising.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Sometimes I think that Christian extremists are as dangerous as Muslim extremists. However it seems that one is portrayed in the media more commonly than the other.

blog.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

It's really a tremendous step forward that this article even calls them Christian extremists!

One of my pet peeves with this whole war-on terror was the way that in most cases, terrorists and extremists were only labeled as such when they were of the Islamic persuasion.

I'm glad someone had the gonads to apply the terminology evenly.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
i before e except after c...(check the header spelling)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
You are afraid of science if you believe Evolution, it is a THEORY. Do I have to explain what a THEORY IS, how did you get online, you really don't [Mod edit to remove personal attack].

And fret not Colorado professors won't be teaching it much longer
, there is a lawsuit coming at the schools for teaching KNOWN LIES which Violtaes Colorado Law. Now I am sure many of you think preaching Lies is okay, many of you defend bush and Co. on the 911 thing as well as many other things. So I take it yourmotto is either

"Anything but God." or possibly "teach children lies"

Either way your in no wise MY COUNTRYMAN...

[edit on 7/18/2007 by Gools]

I agree! it's only a theory...

here's another theory, gravity you've heard of gravitational theory, it's false, and the sooner you see that the sooner you can free yourself from it's grip, reject gravity, and free your self, man was made to float!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join