It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Iranians Want Democracy and Support Nuclear Inspection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Most Iranians support nuclear inspections, a democratic government and normal relations with the United States, a poll by a U.S.-based organization has found.

Terror Free Tomorrow found 80 percent of Iranians support full inspections and a guarantee not to develop nuclear weapons in return for aid from other countries.
Slightly more than half, however, said they still favor the development of nuclear weapons and think the country would be safer with them. Developing the weapons is considered a "very important" priority for just 29 percent of those polled.
But when presented with an option to give up nuclear weapons development in return for outside aid, only 17 percent still supported nuclear weapons development.

Additionally, 61 percent of those interviewed "were willing to tell our pollsters over the phone that they oppose the current Iranian system of government, where the Supreme Leader rules according to religious principles and cannot be chosen or replaced by direct vote of the people."
Instead, 79 percent support a democratic system in which leaders are elected through free, direct elections.

SOURCE:
CNN

Since Iran is such a popular and important subject in politics and such, and that an
alarmingly sized majority of people seem to want to "bomb Iran back to the stoneage.",
I figured that it was both important and a good idea to post this article.

This really does'nt surprise me though. Unlike some politicians and people,
I've done my homework on the Iranian government and the Iranian government,
which should not be confused as being the same.
Most Iranians are Moderate in there views and generally like Americans and the American
government system, that is Freedom and Democracy and really do want it.
Indeed all one really has to do is look at Tehran to see that they are a Modern civilized people.

How they will reach Democracy is not something I can answer though, one can only hope
that it wont end with American bombers destroying Tehran or the Iranian government
putting a strangle hold on the freedoms and slight democratic systems that the
Iranian people already have.

[edit on 7/18/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
So is this going to give US a chance to invade Iran like the Iraqians
wanted democracy?

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
...and a US-sponsored survey is to be taken at face value why?

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I think most Americans probably want the same thing, Iori. Unfortunately, it would seem that neither of our governments bear much resemblance to the desires of their respective populace.

$.02

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

I think most Americans probably want the same thing, Iori. Unfortunately, it would seem that neither of our governments bear much resemblance to the desires of their respective populace.

I would say so as well, though to be fair we are a great deal more free and Democratic than Iran,
not to say we are the most Democratic or free country there is, heck I doubt we're even
in the top 5 or even 10 most free countries.

Originally posted by ubercanist
...and a US-sponsored survey is to be taken at face value why?

Because we censor things much, much less than Iran.

This particular survey is backed up by previous surveys by sources in Iran,
subsequently the Iranian guy who performed a survey on this before the American based
one was imprisoned for doing so.
Apart from that all you have to do is look at Iran through a neutral non-biased lens to
see that Iranians are for the most part good people who want Freedom and Democracy.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Apart from that all you have to do is look at Iran through a neutral non-biased lens to see that Iranians are for the most part good people who want Freedom and Democracy.

While I have to agree with uberarcanist, as to the obvious potential for bias in said poll, I'd aslo have to agrre with you, Iori. On the whole, I'd say we're not that far apart when you break it down to the individual citizenry. For the most part, just good people, seeking proper representation, and trying to eek out a living in the best manner possible.

Now, of course, there's downsides on Both sides, mind you ... the majority of which would seem to contain some form of government influence and or action(s).

Sadly, when the puppets play on the 6 o'clock Snewze, our collective thoughts and or opinions are all too quickly cast aside ... we are merely spectators, afterall. (?)

new topics

top topics

join