It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Repeated Exercise Sessions Burn More Fat Than Continuous Sessions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Taking a break in the middle of your workout may metabolize more fat than exercising without stopping, according to a recent study in Japan. Researchers conducted the first known study to compare these two exercise methods—exercising continually in one long bout versus breaking up the same workout with a rest period. The findings could change the way we approach exercise.

The Repeated trial showed a greater amount of lipolysis (fat breakdown) than did the Single trial. This Repeated trial also had a pronounced increase in free fatty acids and glycerol (chemical compounds that are released when stored fat is used) concentrations in the final 15 minutes of exercise, whereas these concentrations only progressively increased throughout the Single trial. Also, the second half of the Repeated trial showed a significantly greater epinephrine response while also having a rapid decrease in insulin concentration as a result of lower plasma glucose. This combination of high epinephrine and low insulin concentration may have also increased the lipolysis. There was also enhanced fat oxidation in the recovery period of the Repeated trial than in the Single trial, but this result may be because the free fatty acids concentration was already high before the recovery period.

SOURCE:
Physorg.com

This was interesting to read about, though not very surprising to me.

Personally I'm glad such studies are done, since they will help end the obesity epidemic
in not only America, but the starting epidemics in the EU and Japan.

This is good news for me, as that's how I exercise as it is, several bouts of exercise throughout
the day taking quick breaks between whichever exercises I am doing at the time
(like jumping-jacks, sit-ups or push-ups), that's also the reason it does'nt surprise me.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Interesting, that is why the circuit training was incorporate in the late 90s to change from the long aerobic routine.

15 minutes of intense aerobic following with 15 minutes of straightening.

As I age I remember the long sections of high impact aerobics in the 80s, then the long sections of step and dancing in the 90s.

Now I gave up the high impact do more of half and half of moderate aerobic stationary workout on a machine or floor followed by straightening with machines.

At least I can said that the way I look now it has a lot to do with what I did for two decades.

But boy Is getting difficult now.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I'm not really into professional sports or professional anything that has to do with physicality,
so I was'nt aware that things started in the changing.

That is good though, since I sort of imagined all these people wondering why they were
still chubby after doing an hour of exercise.

Being active and stuff throughout ones life is pretty good for you later on in life to,
so good on ya.

Oh, and I actually read something recently that said that (not sure how old you are marg,
so don't be offended) that doing weightlifting was good for older people, well they used
the word elderly, but that's 60+ in my mind, so they could have meant something different to.

I don't suppose you fit that group yet though, but hey, good to know for when you do
I suppose.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I am in my forties now, Iori, just in the middle age now, when you start getting the beginning of aches and pain of arthritis, high cholesterol, hypertension and many people also get the adult onset diabetes.

I keep up with all the disease and maladies associate with aging and keep telling myself that I will be ahead of all that.

But is certain things that diet and exercises can take care off, but is others that is predisposed in your genetic make over and starts showing its ugly face during your forties and fifties.

But fighting makes thing more interesting and keeps you going.

I have fun cooking in a totally different way to fight anything that comes my way, the way you eat in your 20s and 30s will not work in your 40s and on, plus I love cooking.

Now I always remember the other people around that will complain of not being able to lose way after months doing exercises.

One of the biggest problems was the eating habits, you can exercises and get stronger but make sure that if you want to show the muscle gain you have to change what you eat, not su much as quantity but quality.

top topics

join