It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Cops Above the Law?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I bookmarked an article that I found on rense a few days ago and just now got around to reading it.. Yes i know most dont like rense but I try and focus on the content of an article and not so much the source.
Source page

Cops have always considered themselves above the law. You see it every day, them breaking the speed limit for no reason when they feel like it. Risking our lives on insane car chases for minor offenses. Smashing into our homes and wrecking everything and sometimes killing us, often on the basis of false tips. Even in the good old days before World War II, they routinely beat the hell out of suspects to get confessions.

Now for my personal opinion and this opinion comes with personal experience. As the son of a former Dallas Cop for 25 years and having met many of his colleagues, I can say yes I believe they think they are above the law.
I knew some of them very well, drank with them at fishing tournys and poker games, while underage and I knew a couple that were killed.
More to the point though, not only was my Dad above the law, his family was to.
I cant tell you how many times I was stopped and talked my way out of a speeding ticket (or worse) by turning the conversation to police work and eventually towards my dad, I even had the Dallas PD sticker on my windshield and my dads badge number to prove it

My real point though, is the way officers are acting in the last few years, especially since 9/11. Taseing old people, taseing children, interrogating with a nightstick instead of words and at times even shooting people when deadly force couldve been averted.
Then there is the despicable way the New Orleans Police acted before, during and after Hurricane Katrina. I wont even go into how they, along with Blackwater Mercenaries, were allowed to kick down doors, confiscate firearms and force people out of their homes and into other Cities or an entirely different State.
Having said ALL that, I want people to know that I am not some anti-police "gangsta"
I even applied to the Waco PD in 95 or so but didnt make it through the final stage of the interview process. Im glad now that I didnt make it though, its a tough job and I know it is but I just think things are getting a little out of hand now. What do you guys think?

edit: I really wish they had polls here

[edit on 7/17/2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I do believe that cops think there above the law. I had relatives that were cops and still are and they thought since they had a badge they could get away with certain things. I also have been able to get away with speeding in the past because my uncle was a cop. I know most cops act as if they are above the law, and who knows if that will ever change. The police have way to much power right now and think they are in control. Well maybe they are. There are some great cops out there but most are leaving the police force because of corruption.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Originally posted by Kr0n0s

I bookmarked an article that I found on rense

First, Rense is the National Enquirer on-line.

Second, police are human.

There ARE bad apples.

To say they are all corrupt is wrong, IMO.

I know quite a few officers, one of which is in
Internal Affairs.

I think blanket statements are an easy way to get
people to carry your idea.

My 2 cent,
Lex

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Legally, no.

But 85% of them think that they are

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lexion

I bookmarked an article that I found on rense

First, Rense is the National Enquirer on-line.

I think blanket statements are an easy way to get
people to carry your idea.

My 2 cent,
Lex

First of all you didnt quote everything I said regarding rense, i know all about rense which is why I said that I always consider the content and not JUST the source.
Also, I didnt make any blanket statements and most of all not trying to anyone to follow me or my opinion. I have met many great cops as well but I think this "corruption" is coming from the top down.
All I did was post my opinion, cited an article, cited a few FACTS and then asked for you guys' opinion.
If you agree thats great and if you dont agree thats great to. If you make a post just to be a smart mouth, then keep moving

[edit on 7/17/2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
My father-in-law is retired militairy and an ex-deputy sherriff. Three or four years ago he got his son out of trouble concerning a single car accident involving alcohol and a tree.

It does seem that things have changed though. I know that he has gotten several speeding tickets, and I was in the car with him when he got a ticket for having his windows tinted too dark. He even showed the cop his current creds as a licensed private investigator and claimed that was why he needed darker windows, but no dice.

[edit on 18-7-2007 by Geekzilla]

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Are cops above the law ?

Yes.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

top topics

join