It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PM pitches Canada as non-U.S. free-market model

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

PM pitches Canada as non-U.S. free-market model

www.theglobeandmail.com

SANTIAGO, Chile — Prime Minister Stephen Harper spelled out his plan to re-engage Canada in the Western Hemisphere, saying Canada can serve as a non-U.S. model of democracy and free markets.

“Too often some in the hemisphere are led to believe that their only choices are — if I can be so bold to say — to return to the syndrome of economic nationalism, political authoritarianism and class warfare or to become ‘just like the United States,'” Mr. Harper said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
ZOMG

Am I hearing this right? If this is the road that Harper is taking, I may have to rethink my position (which I was convinced of) that Harper would do anything to get in 'tight' with the American Republicans.

Is this a result of the drop in popularity for GW? I notice he's rethinking his earlier stance on the mission in Afghanistan as well.

Is Harper like the tide, ebbing and flowing to polls?

www.theglobeandmail.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit for spelling

[edit on 17/7/07 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
He does seem to be reducing his "standards" doesn't he? And isn't he "Mister" diplomatic social-butterfly now. He even let the press ask some non-pre-reviewed questions - bizzare.

The other day over in Columbia he cut a deal with the current scandal laden regime and dismissed the notion of binding free trade agreements to improved human rights violations and corruption "crack downs" as "unrealistic". OK... Mmmm, waffles AND maple syrup.

Then there's the Arctic sovereignty thing... 'breakers on order in Canada but stationed on either coast and not very "North". OK.

His most recent political-appointee Boisvert at CSA signed a deal yesterday with Shana Dale over at NASA on the James Webb Telescope... big bucks... hold your friends close and...

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 17-7-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
You're nailing it, V...

There's something strange going on with our Prime Beef... erm Minister. The way he came on the scene was all gangbusters and now it seems that the polls are his new guiding light.

Could it be that he will do and say anything to win a majority government next election?

Hmmm...

And if he does, then look out!

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Well, William Hutt did recently pass and seeing that empty spot between the ears in "Beef" he perhaps moved in and is evoking a Tale of Two Cities Stratford-style. Have you heard him lately? Is he taking elocution lessons from Shatner? Each. Word. Can. Be. It's. Own. Sentence.

I can't think of any PM who ever said less... hmmm don't hear much from his cabinet either unless they are playing Hansard-hockey in Question Period... not that any of the 4 parties are all THAT much better. I won't mention Foreign Affairs - you will be required to ban me.

He's running a bit scared me-thinks. "Polls? Who needs polls?", he has been heard to say. The "Calgary School's" boy-wonder is in a unique position in history. Deb Gray must be proud. He will default to his training and follow the money. I would expect him to do whatever he is told to get elected again... it's not my cup of tea but it does seem to be working. They now "own" the CBC except for (thank God) the News department... so far. It was the best of...

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It's nice to see others with their finger lightly upon the pul;se of this nation.

I appreciate the Hutt reference, since I've seen him perform many times. a great loss to stratford for certain. He always was one to speak bluntly.

I'm not understanding of this back-handed slap against America by our Prime Beef. It seems 'off' like bad milk or something. He did broker a deal on the softwood lumber dispute, even if it cost Canada a chunk of what was owed and put him at odds with some in that international scene.

I like to give credit where due...

But this statement in Chili seems insulting to the American administration, IMO, and a 180 away from what I perceived as his main objective... cozying up and laying down an American-style Department of Homeland Security for Canadians. Maybe that's still fluttering in the breeze like a few Red Ensigns.

But, 'the times, they are a'changing', that's quite obvious. The last really authoritarian thing he did was blinker those 'free thinking' diplomats.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I don't buy him "pulling-away" from America despite his statements in Chile. Free-trade is "good" for his friends, SPP and all. To quote Hutt in performance,"Me-thinks he doth protest too loudly" - quite by design.

I apologize openly for associating Canada's premier theatre actor, the late William Hutt, with the likes of mere street politicians aspiring to be "World Leaders". Shatner? No apologies.

It buys him a tiny bit of pseudo-independence in the press - the CDN nationalists will "eat it up". The Asper-boys and Frum will build him a good launch ramp for a Fall/Winter election... I suspect this current "jaunt" is "ante" before the cards are dealt. I'd not be surprised to see a few more "faux-indy" statements soon and then the announcements and cheques will be written right up to the election-day writ is rote.

MacKay and Baird - Et tu Brute? Then fall...

We shall see, n'est pas?

Vic

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Being as it is the 10 year anniversary of the CCFTA, I can understand Harper being down there but I'm a little confused by the remarks about the "non US model". It could be that he is trying to move away from ole W abit, seeing as Bush's approval rating is what, close to single digits now. Although moving away from Bush isn't necessarily distancing himself from the Republicans. A lot of Republicans are trying to put space between themselves and Bush also. And the way the article reads, it seems more of a poke at Chavez and Venezuela than any direct shot at Bush.

I am convinced that every move, both Domestically and Internationally, that Harper's made in the last 12 months has been directed towards him winning his majority. I haven't quite decided how this helps him in that regard but I'm sure that will be shown sooner or later. I know that his statements about not extending the mission in Afghanistan unless there is clear agreement in parliament is an obvious one.

He knows that it's going to take a lot of shakin' hands and kissin' babies to make it happen and if it takes take a couple of shots at Bush to help that along than he'll do it. And lets be honest, the American media isn't going to run this story so it isn't really hurting his image there that much and it looks good on him to seem to be moving away from the current American administration back here in Canada.

I can hear the chit chat at the upcoming SPP meetings now:
"Sorry George, you know why I had to say those things down in Chile"

"It's ok Stevie boy, just get your majority so we can put our plans in high gear"
*Evil laughs all round the table*

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
GAOTU789

I hear a lot of nails getting hit directly on the head so far. There must be a lot of experienced roofers in Canada.

The idea that this is a ploy for a majority government is the right one, I think. He wants it and will do/say anythng to achieve it. After all, once elected, nothing he said or promised before will be worth a pinch of coon stool.

Seen that before, haven't we?

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
It really is a "calculating" strategy - think of how the various other Parties might respond to this "Free Trade without strings" deal. His "Free Trade" ideas are like most Foreign Policy lately - from elsewhere; foreign.

Could this be spun to be the "big issue" for an election to avoid "other issues" where his handlers might not find quite so much "traction"? Watch the print news out of Winnipeg - wink-wink. I hope not - plenty-stuff needs fixin' in the Great White North.

Chile - Barrick site-visit too... cough-Mulroney, cough interlocking-boards-cough Carlyle-cough-Karzai-cough-41-cough-Paraguay-cough-ADM... allergies. Environmental problems. Harper says Barrick is "clean". Vic smiles. Ah, just like the compound in Muskoka and Wilkins picnic - secure.

Any bets on the Brazil leg? I'm betting we could see more of Emerson Fittipaldi's oranges on our shelves and a least one "scientific" deal come out of it. Maybe not.

One could argue he's his own person... but he is in debt to those who made him and I don't think they'll let that investment get too, too far off script.

Vic

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Masqua, the man certainly isn't waiting for his majority to forget about what he said as evidenced here and here.Both examples of Harper forgetting things he said.

And we have a history of roof building but we also have a history of knocking down a couple of houses to as shown by the24th 33rd 35th 37th and 39th Federal elections. Canadians can recoginize a snake when we see one so Harper better realize that all the butt kissin' won't mean a thing if he can't keep his word. Although we let Chretien run the place for awhile, must have been cause no one could understand a thing he said.

new topics

top topics

join