It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police to breath-test every driver they stop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Police to breath-test every driver they stop

news.scotsman.com

ALL motorists stopped by police for minor offences will be breathalysed as part of Scottish police forces' summer road-safety campaign.

Normally, only those involved in an accident or believed to have been drinking face an automatic breath test. But for the next two weeks, officers have been asked to check routinely the alcohol levels of motorists pulled over for speeding, not wearing a seat belt, or even having a faulty headlight.

John Vine, Tayside's Chief Constable and chairman of the road policing unit of the Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland (ACPOS), said the campaign...
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

"There is still a persistent minority of drivers who believe they can have a few drinks and be fit to drive," he said.

So because of a minority of drives, all other drivers will be tested?
this does not seem proper to me.
I have often wondered why Bars/Pubs have parking lots when they don't want you to drink and drive

news.scotsman.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
So because of a minority of drives, all other drivers will be tested?
this does not seem proper to me.
I have often wondered why Bars/Pubs have parking lots when they don't want you to drink and drive

Whilst a minority, it is a significant minority and is a still a major problem. Especially over the Summer or the Holidays.

As for the car parks question. Well, some people are responsible and don't drink, as they are the DES. Other people, like families (myself included), might go to the pub for lunch and not drink. People don't just go to Pubs to get pissed.

apc

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
That's a sketchy one...

Clearly a presumption of guilt... guilty until proven innocent.

The argument should be if speeding or not wearing your seatbelt is probable cause which warrants further investigation. Without any other indicators of intoxication, such as swerving or slurred speech, can these infractions justify the invasion of privacy?

A headlight out however... that's too far. That would be right up there with pulling people over to applaud their good driving, giving them a coupon for free iced cream (this was done here in Kansas City a few years ago), and then making them take a breath test.

new topics

top topics

join