It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phish/Trey Anastasio.....any fans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
speak up.
i didn't get turned on to phish untill a few years ago, after they came to fame and then dropped off. i love the band in general, the jam type free form deal they had going on. most importantly though, i fell in love with trey anastasio. the guys is one mad genious.

i was put off at first cause someone alerted me to a cover they did of franks peaches en regalia and i didn't like it. i was determined not to search anymore out and then i heard farmhouse, fluffhead, stash, etc...now, i am a trey/phish maniac.

i think that trey is one of the most talented active guitarists of this day. the way he plays is just insane. i love the way he uses barre chords. it is all around just amazing.

i sit and i think about it....i would have loved to have seen frank and trey go back and forth. could you imgine how sick that would be?

any phish/trey fans here?

of course, anyone that can compose mor ethan 140 original songs on their own deserves propers for that alone.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Really, no one?

Well, I'm one. I was lucky to be able to do mini tours from 96-99. 6-8 show in a row. Their live shows were great. Hours of improv and fun on stage. Even got to see Fishman play the vacuum cleaner on a couple of occaisions. Many, including myself, feel that those years were the best. The only complaint was that toward the end, the fans got youger and into harder drugs like coke, heroine and meth. Made for a bad vibe in the lot and at the shows.

If you are a big Trey fan, he has many side projects. Oysterhead, now defunct, was his project with Les Claypool, and that was pretty good. To see them go back and forth on stage was a treat.

He and Phil Lesch toured together for awhile. Now I think he is doing his solo work, just calling it Trey Anastasio Band.

Check out his senior thesis called The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday (TMWSIY) It contains a bunch of the songs that Phish later played. If you get a copy of the 1988 version, you can hear how the songs started and compare that to what they sounded like later. Kind of interesting.

If you are interested in jamband music and want to find it in your area, try Jambase. Listings and news of the genre. String Cheese Incident sounds very similar to Phish, if you are interested. Also, there is Relix, which was originally called something else I believe, and was founded by the Grateful Dead. The cover story this month happens to be on Paige, the keyboardist from Phish.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Just found this thread, or I would've posted sooner.

Phish rocks! Trey is easily one of my favorite guitarists, his playing is way cool!

I got to see them once in New Haven, Ct. They were truly awe-inspiring.
The highlight of the show was "Golgi Apparatus". It just smoked!

Originally posted by WellSee
If you are interested in jamband music and want to find it in your area, try Jambase. Listings and news of the genre.

Also, if you like jam bands, I made this thread a while back. Live music downloads, hundreds of bands, entire shows. Legal. Free. No Phish, 'cause they'd rather sell their live stuff. Lots of Dead, though.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I cant say that I am a really big Phishhead, but some of their songs are pure genius. Not to take away from the band as a whole, but Trey is undoubtedly the creative genius behind the band.

Not only does his impeccable songwriting skills come out on each and every track, but his pure mastery of the guitar comes out as well.

I wouldnt pay hundereds of dollars to see them play, but I would definitely sit back on a mellow saturday and just relax to some of their classic tunes.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Love Phish. Probably my favorite band. Not enough people understand them, maybe because they're very against the grain of what people expect to hear. Very consonant music though, awesome lyrics, arrangements, improv, guitar playing some of the greatest ever. They belong with bands like Floyd, Zeppelin and the Beatles, and of course the Dead, but they were just in a later decade. And we Love to Take a Bath!!!

top topics

join