It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Hand Syndrome Mystery Solved

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Alien Hand Syndrome Mystery Solved

www.sciencedaily.com

Alien hand syndrome (AHS) is a rare neurological disorder that causes hand movement without the person being aware of what is happening or having control over the action. The afflicted person may sometimes reach for objects and manipulate them without wanting to do so, even to the point of having to use the healthy hand to restrain the alien hand.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.hug-ge.ch
en.wikipedia.org
en.wikipedia.org
jnnp.bmj.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Alien Hand Syndrom.....(creepy)

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
This is simultaneously the most goofy and frightening mental disorder I can possibly think of. If you've ever seen Evil Dead II or Idle Hands, you know the scoop. Your arm becomes possessed, somehow, and starts doing things of its own accord. One lady fought her own hand for several hours because it was trying to strangle her. The cause of Alien Hand Syndrome (AHS) has left scientists, doctors, and clergy befuddled for years, but it appears the actual cause of this mysterious ailment has been deteremined.

The study, led by Frédéric Assal of Hôpitaux Universitaires de Genève (University Hospital in Geneva), Switzerland, has managed to narrow down the neural activity to the primary motor cortex, and it alone, using two functional MRI (fMRI) experiments.

Normal (voluntary) hand movement activates the primary motor cortex, but also multiple other areas of the brain, such as the bilateral premotor areas. Alien Hand Movement (AHM), however, only appears to activate the contralateral primary motor cortex.

This opens up all new perspectives for understanding ailments like phantom limb, anosognosia, and schizophrenia. The full report itself may be found here.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
That is really......weird....

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Another example is Dr. Strangelove, or How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb.

www.filmsite.org...

Peter Sellers has just this problem, but mainly his hand just wants to do Nazi salutes. If you haven't seen it you should. Hilarious. Not that it can be very hilarious to those afflicted with this.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I'm going to claim that as my excuse when I grope women on the subway.

I can't imagine having to fight my own hand to do or not do things.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
"Sir, you do know that the Texas salute can get you a fine up here in Oklahoma, when directed at a police officer?"

"But officer, I have this problem with AHS."

"Likely story. I'm writing you a $75.00 ticket for disorderly conduct."

"Why you #^%*#!^%$*##@*+# you can't do that!"

"Now you're going to jail for assaulting a police officer"

"But I have Tourette's Syndrome too, officer!."

"The judge is just gonna' love you."

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I'm going to claim that as my excuse when I grope women on the subway.

Crakeur, I was wondering how long it would be before someone said exactly that! LOL

What a weird disorder, I've never heard of it or known anyone with this disorder. Does anyon else?

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
So, Uh If someone was a Nymphomaniac as well as having Alien Hand Syndrome would their hand always....you know try and go downtown ?

new topics

top topics

join